VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on Huffington Post today and came across an article that was written by a vegan person and his article was about 'loving animals, but still eating them' and he was questioning why we do that, meaning humans in general of course, obviously not us veg'ns. And yesterday I read an article on Huffington Post by a woman who simply was extolling the virtues of, and going on about the huge variety of wonderful vegetable and fruit flavours that are there to be enjoyed. Neither article was preachy or accusatory, one merely asking why and the other gushing about the yummy selections we have to chose from. The vast majority of comments on both articles was from meat-eaters and most of those were subtly 'rude' and/or intended to offend the 'authors' (and whoever was vegan and reading the articles).

Five years ago I went from vegetarian to vegan and the first couple years were typified by simmering rage, hatred and despair. At the same time, aside from that I've been working on finding a level of peace and non-depression in my overall life and it finally brought me to a point where I think the rage has been set aside (barricaded in by the 'I used to be there myself' philosophy, if you know what I mean) and then there was a numbing, weighing-me-down sadness at how animals are being treated by almost everyone. Since then I've learned to put the sadness and all of it inside a sort of mental 'box' and I know it's there, but I try not to 'look at it'. This sort of works, sometimes.

I think that I'm entering a new phase (or maybe a repeat) but I don't know how to label it yet. I'm overwhelmed at the 'meanness' of humanity, towards people, children, animals, and the desire to go somewhere else and live wherever they are not, seems to be with me like my shadow is with me. And even here, where "Only Veg'ns Need Apply", there are times when there is an undercurrent of derision, and of that, I'm sorry to say that I've been guilty a time or two. And I'm so tired of feeling helpless in the face of it all and stuck here, forced to live with a world choking to death on cruelty......I can't even talk to my husband (and he is a great guy, believe me), because he still eats meat when we go out. At home, I won't cook it and he doesn't ask.

I seriously wish I'd never been born. I'm so sick of it all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im sorry your feeling so overwhelmed, I sorta of understand what your saying ... i almost wish to live were there are no humans bc humans can be so mean crueal ect... ig et what your saying and im sorry

Hope you can find some internal peace somehow

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I go through phases like that. I used to cry myself to sleep at night just thinking of all the atrocities that happen every single day. It can be so overwhelming. What helps me through the tough times is to think of all the wonderful, beautiful things that humans are capable of. We are responsible for a lot of wretched, horrible things, but also for some magnificent things. The world is deeply complex, but it is not all bad. You have to believe that. Don't wish you'd never been born-be grateful that you were. You are alive for so brief a period of time, and you only have those few years to make a difference. Don't be immobilized by the hatred, fear, and greed of others. Use it to light a fire in yourself. You are not alone, you are not powerless, and you can do something to bring beauty into the world. You are already making a difference by being vegan.
I'm not saying you should adopt a pollyanna view of the world, because I don't think that helps anything. But don't let petty meat-eating buffoons darken your day. They aren't worth it. Oh, and hugs.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I know how you feel. Sometimes I get down about it all, and I just have to tell myself to channel the flickers hopelessness and depression into determination and passion about being vegan. But when I'm really, really depressed and I think deeper about it all then I feel this crushing feeling, and like the world is closing in on me, and it just makes me think I'm just one person and I can't do anything. But you just have to think about doing your best to spread the true love for animals to others and doing all you can to reduce your impact against animals.

I've cried myself to sleep, too. When I'm out, with omnis, I have to put on this facade that I'm not bothered by it all because we live in an omni world, and then when I'm by myself it all builds up and when I can finally be myself just the thought of an animal suffering, or an already dead animal like a burger or hot dog will make me cry. Looking at my pets makes me cry, too, and I've had a lot of nightmares with things related to animals. When I first became vegan, especially, and saw Meet Your Meat and Earthlings, I had a lot of awful nightmares and didn't sleep for a few nights because I was afraid of having nightmares again, but I think it really helped me now, because if you act strong all the time then you might start to get a disconnect and actually not care. Maybe just because I'm a new vegan, but for a while I started to have a disconnect from food like dairy and eggs and even meat sometimes and animals because I always acted disconnected, and then I saw farm animals in person and it really affected me and made me cry, but it's made me more determined and compassionate and kept me vegan.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I think you should take a break and watch some cute animal videos. I'm being totally serious.

I know what you're feeling, all those awful things in the world can seem inescapable sometimes. But if you focus on all that suffering constantly it's just going to break you, and that's no good for you or anyone else. Its made me feel like I was going insane in the past, especially after watching Earthlings, and in the end I had to take a step back or risk burning out completely. I think as a vegan you can do a lot more good and reach more people if you try to stay positive and do what you can as an individual, rather than getting overwhelmed by all the cruelty we're up against.

Maybe try avoiding debates with meat eaters or anything related to animal cruelty for awhile? Being around happy animals or watching videos of them really helps me too, it's a good reminder of the bright side of things, and sometimes you need that. Focus on the positives until you recharge your batteries, there is a lot of beauty in life too in spite of it all

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I go through phases like that. I used to cry myself to sleep at night just thinking of all the atrocities that happen every single day. It can be so overwhelming. What helps me through the tough times is to think of all the wonderful, beautiful things that humans are capable of. We are responsible for a lot of wretched, horrible things, but also for some magnificent things. The world is deeply complex, but it is not all bad. You have to believe that. Don't wish you'd never been born-be grateful that you were. You are alive for so brief a period of time, and you only have those few years to make a difference. Don't be immobilized by the hatred, fear, and greed of others. Use it to light a fire in yourself. You are not alone, you are not powerless, and you can do something to bring beauty into the world. You are already making a difference by being vegan.
I'm not saying you should adopt a pollyanna view of the world, because I don't think that helps anything. But don't let petty meat-eating buffoons darken your day. They aren't worth it. Oh, and hugs.
You are a sweetie.....thank you for the hug too.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
I know what you mean. it pisses me off a lot too. i decided to make a kind of resolution to stop reading comments of people under the articles. i am still doing it but planning to stop soon, lol. i am sure that will make it much better, outside of the internet people are not that nasty about animal suffering

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Never read the comments....That is pretty much my life philosophy! I'm sorry you're so upset and I understand where you're coming from. It is so overwhelming at times. Take care!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I think you should take a break and watch some cute animal videos. I'm being totally serious.

I know what you're feeling, all those awful things in the world can seem inescapable sometimes. But if you focus on all that suffering constantly it's just going to break you, and that's no good for you or anyone else. Its made me feel like I was going insane in the past, especially after watching Earthlings, and in the end I had to take a step back or risk burning out completely. I think as a vegan you can do a lot more good and reach more people if you try to stay positive and do what you can as an individual, rather than getting overwhelmed by all the cruelty we're up against.

Maybe try avoiding debates with meat eaters or anything related to animal cruelty for awhile? Being around happy animals or watching videos of them really helps me too, it's a good reminder of the bright side of things, and sometimes you need that. Focus on the positives until you recharge your batteries, there is a lot of beauty in life too in spite of it all
You are so right about avoiding debates for a while. I gotta do that because I think it's having an effect. The debates are robbing me of my joy I think. But it sure helps knowing that other folks are there to lift me up if I really get down and gotta whine for a while. Thanks to all of you, for that. Maybe I just need to hug my little muttie more often too. At least he appreciates what we do right?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I think there is some good advice there. Sometimes, when I am feeling awful about everything, the kitten comes along and writhes around on the couch next to me, and at least for a while, things seem a bit better.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Getting involved with a group that helps animals on some level has really made a big difference for me. Knowing that not only am I not contributing to cruelty but knowing that in some small way I'm helping to move the world away from cruelty as well, a piece at a time. There's many great groups with different methods and approaches, but it's really empowering and uplifting to make even a small contribution towards educating the public or helping animals in some other way.

Think about the ways a group like Farm Sanctuary is helping to change the world, to use just one example. They receive many visitors every year, and many of them walk away vegan. So not only are the owners sparing animals by being vegan and by directly helping animals, but every person they influence doubles their positive impact. We're actually headed towards a more compassionate society a day at a time. It's not all misery and defeat. It just seems that way now. We're actually much farther along than we were even ten years ago. There's even an AR movement in China of all places. Imagine that! If kids in China can risk imprisonment or worse, I think everyone here put up with a little social frustration. Don't get me wrong. I feel your pain, but we've got to get beyond being angry all the time and look at the big picture. The world is very gradually becoming a better place each and every day. If you wanna feel like you're doing more to help speed it along, as small a donation as five dollars a month to your animal organization of choice is a good way to know you've directly contributed to that. It's awesome to be vegan and all but every time we can help someone else to see the light we've effectively doubled our positive impact in the world, and that's an absolutely irreplaceable feeling.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Getting involved with a group that helps animals on some level has really made a big difference for me. Knowing that not only am I not contributing to cruelty but knowing that in some small way I'm helping to move the world away from cruelty as well, a piece at a time. There's many great groups with different methods and approaches, but it's really empowering and uplifting to make even a small contribution towards educating the public or helping animals in some other way.

Think about the ways a group like Farm Sanctuary is helping to change the world, to use just one example. They receive many visitors every year, and many of them walk away vegan. So not only are the owners sparing animals by being vegan and by directly helping animals, but every person they influence doubles their positive impact. We're actually headed towards a more compassionate society a day at a time. It's not all misery and defeat. It just seems that way now. We're actually much farther along than we were even ten years ago. There's even an AR movement in China of all places. Imagine that! If kids in China can risk imprisonment or worse, I think everyone here put up with a little social frustration. Don't get me wrong. I feel your pain, but we've got to get beyond being angry all the time and look at the big picture. The world is very gradually becoming a better place each and every day. If you wanna feel like you're doing more to help speed it along, as small a donation as five dollars a month to your animal organization of choice is a good way to know you've directly contributed to that. It's awesome to be vegan and all but every time we can help someone else to see the light we've effectively doubled our positive impact in the world, and that's an absolutely irreplaceable feeling.
I know all these things, you're right about it all. I guess I'm just feeling overwhelmed at the overt attitude of cruelty that is so visible, the internet is both a blessing and a curse! It has made the brutality so visible and yet it is that visibilty that has set the stage for those animal rights people who gathered and saved all those dogs from the slaughter truck a few months ago. I know all these things and I think I need to follow advice from folks here: nice animal videos, help support some AR groups, don't read comments, hug my dog buddie more often.......good advice all. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

Mebbe the first of the homo sapiens to emerge amongst an overwhelming number of neanderthals felt somewhat likewise?

Chin up m'darlin'!

We should be proud to be amongst the first of another major leap in human 'evolution'?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

I think that I'm entering a new phase (or maybe a repeat) but I don't know how to label it yet. I'm overwhelmed at the 'meanness' of humanity, towards people, children, animals, and the desire to go somewhere else and live wherever they are not, seems to be with me like my shadow is with me. And even here, where "Only Veg'ns Need Apply", there are times when there is an undercurrent of derision, and of that, I'm sorry to say that I've been guilty a time or two. And I'm so tired of feeling helpless in the face of it all and stuck here, forced to live with a world choking to death on cruelty......I can't even talk to my husband (and he is a great guy, believe me), because he still eats meat when we go out. At home, I won't cook it and he doesn't ask.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, my heart boke when I read this, this is exactly how I feel sometimes. Gandhi said 'Be the change you want to see in the world' live your life the way you know is right & fight in every way you can for what you believe in. Rather than get bogged down with ignorant people that wont listen to the truth, talk to some like minded people here for a while to remind yourself that you're not alone. xxx

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not vegan but i know how you feel because you are doing something that is different from the mass and you have some ideas in you that are not easy to communicate. The two only things that can help is to be strong and to be you. It seem very difficult to do but think about it, if you are strong, look happy and healthy, some people can use you as a model and become vegan or become less cruel. It is the best way to communicate what you have to.

It will be hard to change the world but if we are doing slowly but strongly, the world will change in a good way, for, you, for the others and for me!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Anger is a normal, justified emotion in this context. What humans are doing to animals is despicable. It is wrong. And we are right to be angry about it.

Sadness is also a normal, justified emotion in this context. What humans are doing to animals is terrible. It is heartbreaking. And we are right to be sad about it.

I have some specific advice:
- Exercise. If you're at all like me or if you're anything like the majority of people who experience any kind of depression or anxiety then regular exercise will help you deal with these emotions constructively. You can "leave it at the gym/ on the court."
- Distract. When exercise isn't enough or when you need an immediate "happiness fix" then find a distraction from the cruelties of the world. Cute animal pictures and videos might help, but it's not really all that distracting since you're still thinking about animals. For me I am easily distracted by home improvement projects or shopping or learning something new. Perhaps you can take a class at the community college or the local city recreation center? Or maybe you can sink into a good book.
- Focus. If you feel like you want to do something for animals, learn how to be an effective advocate and then choose a path. You are powerful and you can make significant change for the world. But it requires time and focus.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonface88 View Post

Hi, my heart boke when I read this, this is exactly how I feel sometimes. Gandhi said 'Be the change you want to see in the world' live your life the way you know is right & fight in every way you can for what you believe in. Rather than get bogged down with ignorant people that wont listen to the truth, talk to some like minded people here for a while to remind yourself that you're not alone. xxx
Talking here to like minded people is a great thing to do when I feel totally PO'd like I've been feeling the past few days. It reminds me that there are other folks who do understand. Maybe that is part of the problem sometimes, feeling isolated. Some great suggestions folks from all of you. Now if I can only remember them at those critical moments instead of letting myself get bogged down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts