VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so a long while back I posted a thread about my girlfriend and how she is 30 years older than me and wondered what other people thought. At the time I was really scared to tell my family for their reaction but I told them and yeah they thought it was weird at first but they accept it now. We've been dating for 2 years and I believe I told my family after the first year and just a couple of days ago I posted about her on facebook so now everyone knows. Most people knew we were friends but that's it.

So far the reactions are better than what I expected. No one has said anything about the age difference yet except for one person made a joke. Most reactions are more of that fact that I actually have a girlfriend since I'm 25 and she's really my first one. We'll jut have to wait and see what other people say. I'm a little scared about Thanksgiving when the whole family is over.

Thanks for listening

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
She will devour your soul.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Nice job on coming out, hopefully and stress or anxiety you had can wash away. Hope all goes well at Thanksgiving as well.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Only weirdness for me would be if she is older than your mom... but that's my problem not yours.

My grandfathers uncle recently died he was 99. He married a 40 yo woman when he was 20 (I can't even imagine the family scandal back then, lol). Anyway long story short they were married for over 55 years when she passed. They had a happy life together although he did spend the last 20+ years alone.

Edit to add, I'd probably freak if any of my kid's were dating/married someone 30 years older.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
There is a buddhist saying ...

"For a while a fools mischeif may taste sweet, as sweet as honey
But in time, like honey, a fools mischeif turns bitter
Then how bitterly the fool does suffer"

When you are 50 your girlfreind will be 80 Doktor.

If you love her truly you may not suffer at all from this. True love cares not for self.

If she loves you truly then she may suffer bitterly. True love cares for 'other'.

Sorry matey, please just take that on board as something you should be prepared for.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Just to clarify here, I don't think DoktorMartini is looking for opinions on age-differences in relationships in this thread, is he?

I'm very surprised that nobody has said anything, but hopefully that is a good sign. After all, you are 25 and an adult. Will your girlfriend be there at the Thanksgiving event?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Girlfriend probably won't be there because it would be weird and she doesn't want to come anyways.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
thats great

Peace & Quiet Please

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
You'd probably get more crap about it if she was 25 and you were 55.

My Wife found a clever way to try to narrow my choices for a partner if we'd ever split up. She says it's important that partners be about the same exact age (We're about 2 months apart in ages). I had to verbally agree, to keep the peace, when she has brought this up a few times. So, you know what that means. If We'd ever split and I end up with someone a different age than me, she can say : " SEE, YOU LIED TO ME !!! ".

So far, I've never made a big deal about one of her previous boyfriends being about 20 years older than Her.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But to all who see it as wrong why is it her fault? It should be just as much mine as hers. She's not forcing me to date her. How is it hers?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Even if something may not be "normal," that does not mean anything is wrong with it. All being normal means is that you side with the majority, not that you know what is best for the world or for other people.

As long as both people are happy, that is all that matters.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

But to all who see it as wrong why is it her fault? It should be just as much mine as hers. She's not forcing me to date her. How is it hers?
It's nobody's fault, haters gone' hate.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

It's nobody's fault, haters gone' hate.
Exxxxxactly. Congrats, DoktorM!

I always end up dating guys that are younger than me too.

But not by 30 years. Because then I would be dating unborn men.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the support!!!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
you're 25, you're an adult - it's up to you how you want to live your life, as long as you're not hurting anyone (people or animals). It's nice that you found love.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Awesome! It must feel good to finally be out in the open!

I'm of the belief that age is just a number. If you are happy, and she is happy, how can anyone judge? Love is love.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts