VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted to make something vegan, but i knew that she and her hubby wouldn't eat it. I think they eat veggies like every few years, and i'm not joking. They actualy eat fast food almost everynight. Anyway, i baked the chicken and the smell was so gross. As i drove it over to her house i almost had to pull over to puke
While i was cooking the chicken all i could see were poor chickens crammed into cages, suffering, and all the baby chicks being ground-up still alive.

Anyway, i don't think i'll be cooking meat in my kitchen again even for friends with newborns.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if thats how it makes you feel then for sure you shouldnt do it anymore. i know i wont do that for anyone, plain and simple goes against my beliefs.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have made something vegetarian like spaghetti w/ meatless balls OR gimme lean, or chili or tamale casserole. I served tamale casserole for my oldest daughter's birthday and everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. We've served many omni's our spaghetti and they absolutely inhale the stuff.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
beansprout, first of all, you are a very dear friend. having a newborn, as you know, is such an all-consuming, uber-tiring thing, and the housework and cooking that is required to maintain a household after having a baby is such a drain. it's great to have friends who are willing to help out, and it's especially kind of you to have put a lot of thought into what the new parents would enjoy as a meal.

i am sorry that you got so grossed out. i wouldn't have done it, myself.

next time, make them a vegan recipe that doesn't have meat in it. piroshkis (little pastries stuffed with savoury mashed potatoes) are great!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm sorry you had to go through that but it was so thoughtful of you to do something for your friends. I know I greatly appreciated the practical gifts that really helped out when I had my babies. Maybe in the future you could offer to clean their house, or help with laundry. One of the best gifts for a new mom is just someone to hold the baby while she gets to take an uninterupted shower! Another idea would be a gift certificate for their favorite restaurant so they could eat out of even get carryout. Then you wouldn't have to deal with cooking it yourself!

You're a great friend and I'm sure they will appreciate your effort.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Beansprout, It's too bad you had to got throught that. I find that almost any omni will eat things that don;t haev meat sometimes. You just have to find somethign that would not seem conspicuosly vegan.

If I am cooking for a non-vegan, I find out what type of foods they like and then coem up with a recipe that I think they will like. If they really need it, they will probably be happy just to have something to eat and won't be thinking about whether it is vegan.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need advice about what to cook next for these same friends. They don't eat very many veggies and seem to mostly eat fast food: KFC, Popey's chicken, Wendy's, McD's etc.

I'm not sure what to prepare for them? I chose a baked chicken last time b/c i 'knew' they would eat it. I thought about making a nice veggie spaghetti or veggie lasagna but i knew they wouldn't eat it, they only like meat sauce with their pastas ...Ugh!

What can i fix? Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Y'know, if they're offered a simple veggie lasagne (just sauce, cheese and maybe some smart ground), I bet they'd enjoy it and not even miss the meat (don't tell them it's veg). If they did, well, I'm sure they would appreciate your effort in any case. Or how about a cheese or vegi pepperoni pizza? If they like fast food type stuff, maybe they would like those corn dogs by morningstar farms (I have friends who would never suspect they're veg) or some un-chicken nuggets? I think that if you're going through the trouble to try and help them out, they can't be too picky. If they are true friends, they will be grateful for any attempts. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about spaghetti sauce or lasagna with, for example, Yves ground round? Vegan, but really fools most omnis. You would have a clear conscience, and your friends would have a yummy meal and probably wouldn't guess it's vegetarian, let alone vegan, unless you told them.

When I used it to make "meat sauce" for my omni but supportive parents, my father actually tasted it, then looked at me quizzically and said "I thought you didn't eat meat." I had to show him the packaging.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If they are that picky, I think I'd steer away from preparing food altogether. How about a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant? Of offer to pick up take out for them, that way you don't have to actually prepare the meat yourself. Or, how about a dessert? Everyone likes dessert and almost all desserts are vegetarian!

Maybe offer to babysit so they can go out...or take a nap! Offer to clean or wash laundry for them. Offer to care for their pets if they have any. Offer to care for their older children if they have any. I'm just trying to think of things that I would have appreciated when I had a newborn and things that don't involve you having to cook meat. Again, you are such a thoughtful friend.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the same thing for a function - made chicken salad! I think that was worse picking the meat off the bone. Never again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts