VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to somebody house and I was ask if I want a sandwich. This person usually ask what type do you want but today she didn't. I was in the mood for a peanut butter sandwich but I was given a roast beef sandwich instead which I didn't want. I didn't want to be rude, so I ate it. When I got back home I wanted to throw up the sandwich. I still tought it was the most diguesting thing I ate. I realized yesterday that I didn't like meat.Has anybody else had this problem when you go to somebody else house?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,946 Posts
This doesn't sound like a mistake or an accident, and no, I don't have this problem.

You could try saying, "I am a vegetarian now. If you don't have any vegetarian food, I can eat at home." Or bring your own snacks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
You could have said something before you ate it. If people don't respect your choice in vegetarianism then they aren't your frirends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
If you haven't already explained to this person that you are now vegetarian you really should. Otherwise, this person is going to assume giving you meat is still alright. If this person still has an issue with giving you sandwiches that follow your diet after you explain, then you should either eat beforehand or perhaps bring something with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyit View Post

If you haven't already explained to this person that you are now vegetarian you really should. Otherwise, this person is going to assume giving you meat is still alright. If this person still has an issue with giving you sandwiches that follow your diet after you explain, then you should either eat beforehand or perhaps bring something with you.
Honestly, mentioning that one does not eat animals is the first thing that person should do if a friend is going to get them food. I may be with penny79, this doesn't sound like a mistake or an accident.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

This doesn't sound like a mistake or an accident, and no, I don't have this problem.

You could try saying, "I am a vegetarian now. If you don't have any vegetarian food, I can eat at home." Or bring your own snacks.
Agreeed. You knew it was roast beef and ate it anyways so it's technically not a mistake. It would not have been rude if you refused the sandwich and informed them that you no longer eat meat but yes you should have indeed told them ahead of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,483 Posts
You messed up. Now, forgive yourself, get back in the saddle and next time stand your ground and don't let them push you around. You'll be OK.You can do it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

You messed up. Now, forgive yourself, get back in the saddle and next time stand your ground and don't let them push you around. You'll be OK.You can do it!
This this this!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,229 Posts
Hi, Ragdoll! Some people, when they first become vegetarian, are shy about asserting themselves. Or maybe vegetarianism is new to you and you're sort of wading into it... but since you felt physically ill after eating a meat sandwich, it sounds to me like you're more than ready to take the plunge.

I agree with the posters who said that you should get the word out that you've gone vegetarian, at least when a meal is coming up and folks are figuring out what to feed you. You don't have to get in their faces or anything; you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how matter-of-fact it will be for most of the people you know... depending on where in the USA you live.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talk to the person afterwards and said to me, she notice that I was playing with the sandwich. She told I had just the bread. I mention to her why didn't you ask me what type of sandwich that I wanted. She thought I knew that she didn't have peanut butter in the house. She told me that I did mention to her last night that I didn't eat meat and that she forgot. She gave me her husband sandwich instead of giving me the jelly sandwich. She realize what she done after i ate and she apologized to me for her mistake on the mixed up with the sandwich. She didn't realized it to after I left to go home,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdollragdollragdol View Post

I talk to the person afterwards and said to me, she notice that I was playing with the sandwich. She told I had just the bread. I mention to her why didn't you ask me what type of sandwich that I wanted. She thought I knew that she didn't have peanut butter in the house. She told me that I did mention to her last night that I didn't eat meat and that she forgot. She gave me her husband sandwich instead of giving me the jelly sandwich. She realize what she done after i ate and she apologized to me for her mistake on the mixed up with the sandwich. She didn't realized it to after I left to go home,
If you told her before then it wouldn't hurt to remind her. Also, jelly sandwich are likely NOT to be vegetarian because they may contain gelatin, which is derived from animal skins and bones.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHRchannel View Post

If you told her before then it wouldn't hurt to remind her. Also, jelly sandwich are likely NOT to be vegetarian because they may contain gelatin, which is derived from animal skins and bones.
That's not true. Most jelly is vegetarian. Actually, I've never seen non-vegetarian jelly. What brand are you talking about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
Its solved next time make sure they have the peanut butter and Jelly, and I never heard Jelly like welche;s have animal stuff and we make our own Jelly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I reminded the person and she said to me that she is willing to try eating meatless more and trying new recipes. Today I am going over to her house and we are trying a new recipes called RIGATONI COMBINATION. She got it out a cookbook that she found amongst her cookbooks . I think the cookbook is called Vegetarian for the working people.She told me thank you because she wants to cook healthy and have her family less meat and more meatless dishes. She also told me that I inspire her to think about her family health.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top