VeggieBoards banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my husband didn't get home from work until 2am and i had to wake up at 4am for work so i was very quiet when i left. at 9am someone knocked on our apt door. chris didn't answer it cause he was still half asleep. then he hears someone in our apt yelling"hello". it was the owner of our building trying to show our apt. so chris yells that hes sleeping so the guy says he'll be back in 30 min. the guy just walked into our freaking apt. no notice no nothing. so after they leave chris called the office and left a very nasty message, the foulest language that i've ever heard him use. plus last fri i just happened to come home early and again a knock at the door. ots the owner wanting to show the apt. so i asked him if the caretakers were supposed to give me some notice and he said yeah. so i gave him the benefit of the doubt. well now i think that he has been coming in apt whenever he fells like it. i am pretty sure he is breaking the law. if i don't get my full deposit back im taking him to court. plus chris is setting up our webcam to record when we aren't home. grrrrrrr

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I am not sure what the laws are there... but here landlords are supposed to (required to?) provide 24 hours notice to the tenants.<br><br><br><br>
A quick call to the local police to ask if its legal for the owners to enter without notice would probably answer your question. Or if you have a Landlord/Tenancy Board there, you can call them and ask.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
you also might want to check your lease agreement as sometimes it states in there that you will allow the landlord to show your apt, might even specify the notice period, if any exists.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I would definitely check with the police because I too think they are supposed to give you some type of notice. My lease even says that they won't show the apartment without notifying the current tenant in advance.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i never signed anything that allowed him to show my apt without notice. i would not have signed the lease if that was the case. plus he told me he would give me notice. either a phone call or a note under my door. what if i would've been coming out of the shower or having sex or something. i didn't have any notes under my door or phone calls when i got home at 6pm so im assuming he knew he was in the wrong.<br><br>
if he would've CALLED at 9am and wanted to show the apt right then, i would've been mildly ticked off but would've let him in no questions asked. its the fact that he just walked in when no one answered, which leads me to think that he's doing this all the time cause he knows that we work long hours. i don't HAVE to be home hen he shows it i would just like to know when people are going to be in my apt

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a landlady. In most states, at *least* 12 hours notice is required before they enter your apartment. He's /defitnitely/ breaking the law!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't know how many hours the law requires a landlord to enter your dwelling in your area, here is a good link to all of the states' laws (assuming you live in the US):<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.cses.com/rental/ltlaw.htm" target="_blank">http://www.cses.com/rental/ltlaw.htm</a><br><br><br><br>
You can also go to the clerk of courts in your nearest courthouse and ask for a tenant/landlord law booklet. I paid five bucks for one of these and it's been a lifesaver when dealing with evicting a horrible tenant.<br><br><br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just looked at the statutes im mn and he has to give me "reasonable" notice. thats fine with me. the problem is he isn't giving any notice. for this month only i've been on a month to month lease. the only thing i signed was a paper telling me how much my rent was thats it .i guess they figured since it was only going to be one month,they didn't have me sign anything else . so i'm assuming the statutes apply

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
All statutes apply.<br><br>
The provisions of the previous lease also carry-over into the month-month agreement.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugh! That must be so frusterating. And btw, totally illegal. I am a landlord and we have to give 24 hours notice. Though I will say, yesturday my husband had to enter our renter's apt. because their alarm kept beeping and it was driving us crazy! We knew they were out of town and wouldnt be able to fix it until Sunday night. Turns out it was the fire alarm and it needed a new battery, so it was ok for him to enter. Fortunatly we really like our tenants and they seem to like us. I just wish other landlords wouldnt give us such a bad name.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts