VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new on here and i am not exactly a vegetarian.

I really want to be but my father wont let me.

Does anyone have ideas for me to convince my father to let me be one?

I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome. Have you explained to your dad that you can do it and still be healthy? Calmly explain to him why you wish to be a vegetarian, with out acting like he is a bad person for eating meat. Also show him vegetarian nutrition. Maybe you could also offer to cook your own meals and buy some mock meats your self if you want them. Try to think of any reasons he may say no and talk them over
. Hope this helps a bit..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thankyou. i will try that one. i know that i have tried to tell him why i did not wanna eat meat but i did seem to make him sound like a bad person. i need to rephrase it a little bit.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yeah, just use the word "I" and "me" and "my" a lot.
Other things can seem derogitory even when we don't mean them to be.

My phrase that seems to help people understand better is, "I just don't agree with that industry and how they do what they do, and I'm not willing to support something I cannot agree with"

The question is, does "support" have to mean money, or can it mean being a consumer who didn't pay for it? (I think it's both, myself...)

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Welcome to VB! How old are you? (knowing this might help us to give better advice).

I would say to say to him you just don't want to eat meat. Give a reason if he asks, but keep it short and don't go into detail unless he seems like he actually wants to be educated. For example, if it is for ethical reasons, say, "for ethical reasons" or "I don't like the idea of eating animals" rather than describing slaughterhouse practises.

Help out in the kitchen. Make your parent(s) lives easier by finding recipes that everyone can enjoy and helping to make them. Go shopping with them. Just do your best to make things so simple for them that it would seem petty for them to say "no".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah well i am 14 years old. and my mom is actually vegan but my dad has custidy over me. and i know if he were to say yes my mom could email me some ideas. but yeah my dad doesnt like my reasons for wanting it so he doesnt seem to really care. =/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

Yeah, just use the word "I" and "me" and "my" a lot.
Other things can seem derogitory even when we don't mean them to be.

My phrase that seems to help people understand better is, "I just don't agree with that industry and how they do what they do, and I'm not willing to support something I cannot agree with"

The question is, does "support" have to mean money, or can it mean being a consumer who didn't pay for it? (I think it's both, myself...)

Good luck to you!
you are right. i need to try that sometime.

·
Registered
897 Posts
i don't understand, "won't let me". he force feeds you meat?

welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamXIsXRad View Post

I am new on here and i am not exactly a vegetarian.

I really want to be but my father wont let me.

Does anyone have ideas for me to convince my father to let me be one?

I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I don't know a lot about your situation. But could your dad's dislike of vegetarianism be less to do with actual veggie issues and more to do with your mum? It just seems more complicated than you're letting on, is all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts