VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i am new to this hole thing and i don't know how to start! i want to stert being a veggi but have no clue!

can some one help me! recipes or diretions would help!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi there, welcome to the veggie world!

There are loads of websites with recipes and stuff, but also when I first started being veggie I just substituted the meat in my recipes for Quorn or vegemince. For example, I still used the same sauce for my bolognaise, but just used vegemince instead of minced beef, or I used Quorn pieces in my stir fries.

Not very original, but it's a great place to start!

Check out the veggie options in your local supermarket...

Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi, welcome

You can make tacos, but instead of meat, use canned refried beans. Or spaghetti with sauce from a jar. Or big giant salads.

You can make a stir fry - just get some broccoli and carrots and onions or whatever veggies you like, and cook them in a pan till they're done, then serve over brown rice, with soy sauce on the side.

Your local library probably has vegetarian cookbooks, around Dewey decimal number 641. A beginner's book that I found very helpful is Being Vegetarian for Dummies.

Good luck, and enjoy!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie_lover View Post

hi

i am new to this hole thing and i don't know how to start! i want to stert being a veggi but have no clue!

Do you cook? What kinds of foods do you eat right now? Are there certain kinds of ethnic foods that you like or are you more of a plain-jane?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSn0ws View Post

Hi, welcome

You can make tacos, but instead of meat, use canned refried beans. Or spaghetti with sauce from a jar. Or big giant salads.

You can make a stir fry - just get some broccoli and carrots and onions or whatever veggies you like, and cook them in a pan till they're done, then serve over brown rice, with soy sauce on the side.

Your local library probably has vegetarian cookbooks, around Dewey decimal number 641. A beginner's book that I found very helpful is Being Vegetarian for Dummies.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Just be careful, though, as some refried beans contain lard...which is a fancy way of saying animal fat.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie_lover View Post

hi

Hey, I am new into this too, and maybe I could offer some good tips. First off, if you have any favorite dishes that involved meat, there might not be a reason to throw them out. Consider substituting the meat for Morningstar's Meat Substitutes. I made a wonderful vegan "bacon cheeseburger" pizza the other day that was really, really good, made with the Morningstar meat crumbles and Morningstar bacon strips and vegan cheese.

I was cleaning house the other day and I started to throw out some of my old recipes but realized that the majority of them could easily be converted to a vegetarian diet with just a few modifications. That way you can ease into a vegetarian diet much more gradually.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, I am new into this too, and maybe I could offer some good tips. First off, if you have any favorite dishes that involved meat, there might not be a reason to throw them out. Consider substituting the meat for Morningstar's Meat Substitutes. I made a wonderful vegan "bacon cheeseburger" pizza the other day that was really, really good, made with the Morningstar meat crumbles and Morningstar bacon strips and vegan cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

I was cleaning house the other day and I started to throw out some of my old recipes but realized that the majority of them could easily be converted to a vegetarian diet with just a few modifications. That way you can ease into a vegetarian diet much more gradually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts