VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually post at this website for parents of gifted children. Someone made a joke about microwaving cats. I was offended and made it clear on the board. Well they all started attacking me and my position and not one person backed me up. I would like some of you people who post here to visit this site and let them know that jokes about microwaving animals are not cute or funny. Some of these idiots even reminiced about how funny it was that there cat died in a dryer or got kicked out a window. This sickens me!

Here is the website-

http://disc.server.com/Indices/9457.html

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, granted, those sorts of jokes can be funny to many people...but it isn't funny when someone is offended, and then attacked for being offended.

Then again, you can't atack the 'mainstream' and not expect that sort of reaction.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I went over and clicked into a few posts in the thread and found nothing to get freaked out over. I probably missed what upset you, but I got tired of all the pop-up ads and anti-user-friendly interface. Sorry.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was probably the ones that went "Oh, that's no big deal..one time, my dog..." and then goes on to tell 2-3 horrible real-life stories of animals getting hurt or dying.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's one:

My French cat, Pierre, ended up missing one day.

We found old Pierre. He was in the dryer.

Yes, it was after the dryer had run its cycle.

Poor Pierre. It had been a love affair with Pierre. (He had a little black mustache!) Smart cat. He could fetch and bring items back to us, putting them in our shoes or a basket. We would say, "Oui, Oui, Pierre" and he would meow three times. Oh, dear Pierre.

It was awful at the time.

BUT, we truly laugh HYSTERICALLY at this now.

I'm a very healthy person with no known psychological problems. I think it is BECAUSE of the ability to laugh at some of the hardships life has thown my way. I've NEVER in my nearly 40 years had anyone tell me I have sick humor AND I do have lots of good friends, so I don't think my humor has been offensive.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Milly

Here's one:

My French cat, Pierre, ended up missing one day.

We found old Pierre. He was in the dryer.

Yes, it was after the dryer had run its cycle.

Poor Pierre. It had been a love affair with Pierre. (He had a little black mustache!) Smart cat. He could fetch and bring items back to us, putting them in our shoes or a basket. We would say, "Oui, Oui, Pierre" and he would meow three times. Oh, dear Pierre.

It was awful at the time.

BUT, we truly laugh HYSTERICALLY at this now.
My cat fetches items and brings them back, often putting them in my shoes or open bags on the floor next to me. LOL. I guess my cat isn't so unique after all. I'm actually playing fetch with her now. She's quite good at it.

Would I be able to look back with amusement at my cat dying in a clothes dryer? Hard to say without it happening. It would probably have to be a long, long time, and the death would have to be characteristic of her personality, evoking a certain sort of wry nostalgia when looking back on the event.

I sort of relate it to a lovable but salty old guy who got into fights all the time, one day getting killed. You loved the ol' ******* despite, or perhaps for all his quirks, so the death was difficult. But it's easier with time to look back with a grin. After all, better to go out living life to the fullest in whatever capacity you live it, than to crumble painfully and slowly to cancer (who can laugh about that?).

I think it's a sign of love.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
You've never had a negative experience, one that made you sad or mad, that you could laugh about later?

You're not laughing at the pain or death itself. You're laughing at the absurdity of the situation that led to such a thing happening. It's a coping mechanism that allows us to live with love in our hearts instead of pain. I suppose you'd rather wander around with a gaping hole there in your heart instead. I'd prefer to experience my grief, then move on and remember those I've loved in my life more fondly.

Perhaps I'm being way too generous in interpreting that person's post, but it sure seemed to me that's the gist of what he or she was trying to state.

Either way, I certainly view non-humans as sentient beings, hence my parallel argument involving a person instead of an animal, to heighten to corollation.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

You've never had a negative experience, one that made you sad or mad, that you could laugh about later?
yes but not concerning the death of a pet or family member. my boyfriend sometimes laughs at the fact that when my budgie died when i was a kid, she was laid to rest in the smallest box we could find which happened to be from KFC. he thinks that's hilarious. me not so much.

i can understand how you could get upset over their comments, but i think it's best to just let it go and try to ignore it. they're not going to suddenly agree with your point of view just because you keep on them about it or have other people go back you up. it'll just lead to more and more confrontation and isn't worth your time and effort.

however, if you're looking for another way to explain how it's offensive to you, maybe say that it would be like laughing about the way a family member died, joking about the situation behind their death, etc.

or ask them if they find 'dead baby' jokes offensive.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LadyFaile,

Those sound like reasonable responses- when you are dealing with reasonable folks. What would most likely happen is that they would feel guilt or embarrassed for being jerks and then turn it around on her and/or be defensive. I've really had to start seeing it that way in order to let go of my fury after these types of conversations. When embarrassed, their defense mechanism is to deflect and try to embarrass the other person.

Even if they feel bad once they realize their comments were ugly, they will never admit it or apologize.....gosh dangit

·
Registered
412 Posts
"Oui, Oui, Pierre"

Some how that just struck me as laugh-out-loud funny.

I also agree with epski; the idea of a cat dying like that isn't funny to anyone, but could be remembered with a kind of nostalgic affection that might be translated as humor. Just because the person is able to take some comfort from that, doesn't mean they don't also feel a lot of sadness and loss. It's just a way of coping.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i think that sometimes death can be hard to deal with. So can guilt. Can you imagine how you would feel if you accidently killed your beloved cat? and then you found him a few days/hours later in the very apparatus where you absent-mindedly killed him?

most people probably feel a great deal of guilt over this.

when our cat, Tiger, was put to sleep, my whole family was distraught. To this day, as a group, we cannot say that the cat is dead. She is "gone" she is "away" she is "not here" she is "institutionalized."

It's our way of dealing with our extreme greif. We tease each other about the fact that we cannot deal with our loss very well. No, we say "she's in the institution" when we really mean "she's dead, and we miss her terribly." we laugh at ourselves because we are foolish and cannot accept that she is gone.

We even wonder, with some regret, if we had her hold on to life too long, if she suffered to much, before she was instutitionalized.

What you may be seeing when people say that they laugh hysterically, is that they are laughing at their own pain, maybe to distract themselves. And maybe because it's mixed with that strange tonic of guilt and the pleasure of loving memories.

It's understandable that people would find what happened offensive. It is terribly tragic to hear that people could be so thoughtless. And yet we are, aren't we? And then, there are those sad, horrifying reprocussions.

And in the end, all we can do is laugh at ourselves, because perhaps HYSTERIA is the only thing that makes sense.

hysteria: excessive uncontrollable fear or other strong emotion.

if they cannot control their guilt, their sadness, or whatever strong feeling they have, the only recourse then, is hysteria, which sometimes shows itself in laughter.

we do it too. sometimes just to make light of ourselves, so that we don't sit too long in the sadness of loss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts