VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here are my stats, I am 6.2 215 pounds jiu-jitsu/grappling 5 days a week about couple hours a day. I used to be 258 pounds and lost 35-40 pounds by eating a medium calorie diet. Now I have been vegan ( diet wise) for about a week and I can not get full.

Here is what I eat.
Tofu ( lots of it), broccoli, quinoa, brown rice, bok choi, tomatoes, lettuce, soy milk, bran cereal, sweet potatoes, pop chips, pickles, roasted bellpeppers, olive oil, salt, lemon juice, and water This is basically what I ate for the last 8 days.

Unfortunately about an hour and a half after I eat ( no matter what or how much of the above) I get really hungry again. So I eat more. I am aware that what I am eating is not bad for my body, but I think the amount of calories is adding up and I am halting my weight loss. I did not become vegetarian to lose weight, but I want to be able to continue my journey on losing weight without the addition of any animal products.

Question is, is this normal? Will I get used to it? If not what else can I eat to keep my stomach full a bit longer?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've been eating a plant-based diet for almost 2 months and I'm still adjusting, but here's what I've found that works for me. Definitely add some beans and lentils into your diet. They are very filling and will give you a protein boost. Also some nuts and seeds would really help you feel full. I usually throw them on top of a stir fry or a salad. I find that MUCH more filling than a salad or stir fry with just veggies. Try a green smoothie with some protein powder added in. Maybe instead of the bran cereal and soy milk, try oatmeal with some nuts and fruit on top.

I've been using sparkpeople to log what I eat and figure out what I need to eat to meet all my daily requirements.

·
Registered
40 Posts
you know i really can relate to you. dieting alone is hard. but trying to eat only veggies and fruits so much harder! i guess it is because our stomachs are used to the amount of food we usually take. my solution to that is taking it slowly. i would do minor changes to my eating habits weekly so my body would be able to adjust and shifting to a veg-only diet would not be so stressful. for this week or month perhaps (hey there's no hurry) i just cut back on sodas and chips. next week i plan to give up one cup of rice (i am an Asian and is a huge rice eater).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I can't really make small changes. I need to go cold turkey on things if want to change them. I used to be a big time smoker smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, tried to quit by lowering the amount slowly, using patches etc.. nothing worked. One day I said i am done and quit it that way. I know if I try a slow change, it is going to fail.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post

but I think the amount of calories is adding up and I am halting my weight loss.
Try actually adding them up before you get too worried. 8 days is probably too short a period to get an accurate picture regardless.

Eating a bit of fat will make you feel more full - peanut butter is cheap and easy. Lots of calories though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by leth View Post

Try actually adding them up before you get too worried. 8 days is probably too short a period to get an accurate picture regardless.

Eating a bit of fat will make you feel more full - peanut butter is cheap and easy. Lots of calories though.
Fats.. yeah I think i am missing a lot of fats. If I can keep a handle on the amount of PB I consume, I may be able to find a balance point on fullness and total calorie intake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Eat all of the above, whole grain breads, pasta and things like that. I tend to like eating fresh, but I have to add all the other things like beans (bean or veggie soup with beans), whole wheat bread with hummus spread, along with fruits of all kinds. I also keep baby carrots and celery on standby. That's the thing that I noticed about being vegetarian, is that you can't just eat the "greens" because there isn't enough calories alone. You have to add some of the heavier or starchy stuff. As far as losing weight, I'd stick to eating starchy stuff with lots of fiber like the whole grains and limit the "white" starchy stuff. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenish View Post

I've been using sparkpeople to log what I eat and figure out what I need to eat to meet all my daily requirements.
I use sparkpeople.com too. It's a great resource and it's free. It allows you to track calories, nutrition and exercise and generates line graphs so you can track your progress on a daily basis. If you are getting too many calories, or not enough, for your lifestyle, you will be able to pinpoint the cause very quickly.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Eat potatoes to feel full. Potatoes have high satiety, meaning they help us feel more full. potatoes are also very healthy, have lots of vitamins and when eaten with skins provide fiber.

also beans and nuts as everyone else has said.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
There are already a lot of threads like this, search around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

There are already a lot of threads like this, search around.
You are a bit late to the party, my evil plan worked and I got the answers that I needed without searching around. Next time I expect you pop in on one of my threads before a page full of helpfull people offer their advice.

Rest of you guys, thank you so much, I also made a profile to count calories online and adding sweet potatoes to the diet as of tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I AM SO GLAD SOMEONE POSTED THIS!!! I've been vegetarian for almost a year and I am *still* struggling with this.
I eat and eat and eat and eat some more. Today for lunch I had a decent serving of vege stir fry and a mandarin, 5 minutes later my stomach started going "moooore...". I'm so over it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Beans FTW! Beans are super filling. Also, make sure you are getting enough fat or, not only will you not absorb all nutrients properly, but you will not feel satisfied. Fat is not the devil. You body has to have it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmmmm that's interesting... So I'm guessing I should go for good fats like in nuts, avocadoes etc... And not use your comment as an excuse to scoff down some chocolate after every meal? Hehe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenish View Post

I've been eating a plant-based diet for almost 2 months and I'm still adjusting, but here's what I've found that works for me. Definitely add some beans and lentils into your diet. They are very filling and will give you a protein boost. Also some nuts and seeds would really help you feel full. I usually throw them on top of a stir fry or a salad. I find that MUCH more filling than a salad or stir fry with just veggies. Try a green smoothie with some protein powder added in. Maybe instead of the bran cereal and soy milk, try oatmeal with some nuts and fruit on top.

I LOVE Sparkpeople. I used that site even before I became a vegetarian.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post

Here is what I eat.
Tofu ( lots of it), broccoli, quinoa, brown rice, bok choi, tomatoes, lettuce, soy milk, bran cereal, sweet potatoes, pop chips, pickles, roasted bellpeppers, olive oil, salt, lemon juice, and water This is basically what I ate for the last 8 days.
I'm 5"7 and 60Kilos and I would pass out if that's all I ate in eight days.
You're missing green leafy veggies like spinach and kale, potatoes, breads, beans, cous-cous and pasta and some nuts and fruit wouldn't go a miss. With your intense exercise regime as well, I'd recommend some more protein and carbs in the form of fake meats at least a couple of times a week to bulk up your meals.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, ^^ everyone one above me has said it all. I'm a little like you 6' 3" 200 lbs. p90x every morning, yoga every evening and intense cardio every night. And I GET HUNGRY! I eat a lot of tofu, but aside from tofu, tempeh and seitan. Beans, potatoes, nuts, bananas, peanut butter and complex carbs will help you feel full. Healthy fats, flax seed oil, olives, olive oil and avocado!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I love all the recommendations for SparkPeople! It has been a long-time favorite site of mine. Even a veteran veggie like myself gets off track sometimes and it's wonderful to keep track of my food intake every day to see where I'm at.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadiosa View Post

Hmmmm that's interesting... So I'm guessing I should go for good fats like in nuts, avocadoes etc... And not use your comment as an excuse to scoff down some chocolate after every meal? Hehe.
Oops. Forgot about that part. I always assume that people know that already, but I forget it doesn't usually come naturally
But, really, any excuse to scarf down chocolate eh?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts