VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you would allow me to rant a moment.

There was recently a pets thread at a blog I follow regularly, in which all of the commenters were invited to post pictures of their pets, tell stories, etc. Most of the commenters had amazingly positive things to say about their companion animals, went on and on about loving animals, and some of them even wrote that their pets had saved their lives in some way.

Now, all of those people couldn't possibly be vegetarians. And the ones that aren't? Are. complete. hypocrites. I'm sorry, but do these people see the complete disconnect between the way they view farm animals and companion animals? There is little difference between a dog and a pig, except it's "okay" to eat the pig. If you want to call yourself an "animal lover", then do animals (and people too!) everywhere a favour and stop eating them!

I didn't want to post a comment on the thread to this affect, because I knew it would start a huge ****storm, with everyone making excuses and whining about how it's so haaaaaaard to be a vegetarian. But it made me so mad I just had to go off about it somewhere! Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyface View Post

I didn't want to post a comment on the thread to this affect, because I knew it would start a huge ****storm, with everyone making excuses and whining about how it's so haaaaaaard to be a vegetarian.
Starting a **** storm is fun. There's not a lot of point in getting involved in a debate with them, but it's effective if you just write one comment and then get the hell out and don't go back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

Starting a **** storm is fun. There's not a lot of point in getting involved in a debate with them, but it's effective if you just write one comment and then get the hell out and don't go back.
Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, I did think about it!! But I spend a lot of time on this blog, and didn't want to get banned : p

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It wouldn't have happened to have been shakesville, would it?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
This sort of thing makes me insane. I went vegan because I felt like a hypocrite for loving my dog but eating a cow.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

This sort of thing makes me insane. I went vegan because I felt like a hypocrite for loving my dog but eating a cow.
Same with me. It was a 30 second youtube video I saw in April 2010 about veganism, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized I was being hypocritical.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

Same with me. It was a 30 second youtube video I saw in April 2010 about veganism, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized I was being hypocritical.
OP, maybe you should say something. It might make the wheels start turning for a few people. Who knows, you might convert them

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
How about saying something like "I love reading all these beautiful posts about how much you all love your furry friends (or companions)! You should take a second to check out this article that was written recently" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-t...?ref=fb&src=sp

I used to be one of those hypocrites though. I spent the vast majority of my time doing dog rescue, transporting dogs, fostering dogs, taking care of dogs after surgery for other foster homes, etc. I transported hundreds of dogs from rural high kill shelters to no-kill shelters in metro areas that can't keep up with the adoption demand so they bring in dogs and cats from other places to get adopted. I fostered over 80 dogs myself personally too. I have five rescue dogs that live with me and now four rescue chickens also. But I was completely oblivious for the most part to eating animals. For a few months I did go vegetarian because the woman who is the director of the rescue is a vegetarian but she's someone that lives off of mochas made at home, yogurt, and candy. Not a great example. so I ate mainly Boca stuff, pasta dishes and tons of dairy. Then I went back to eating meat because I felt like **** from eating so horribly. It stayed in the back of my head and then about six months after Sable passed away, who was my canine soulmate, I was cooking dinner one night and I was thinking about Sable and I started to ask myself why I was o.k. with cooking this dead chicken and what was the difference between this chicken and Sable other than my emotional attachment? That's when I knew I had to go vegetarian. Then of course I went vegan once I began learning about the egg/dairy/leather/wool/etc industries. I often wonder if I ever would have changed if it hadn't been for Sable. She was a tiny little three pound dog and she taught me more about love and compassion than anyone else ever has.

Three of my vegan friends have said they never thought about it until they got a companion animal and they started thinking I'd never eat my cat or my dog so why I am eating other animals? So don't write these people off just yet. On the flip side some of the most hostile people I've met in regards to veganism have been people in animal rescue. Go figure.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
How about saying something like "I love reading all these beautiful posts about how much you all love your furry friends (or companions)! You should take a second to check out this article that was written recently" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-t...?ref=fb&src=sp
+1.

Accusing someone of hypocrisy is probably the least effective way of leading them to see and address inconsistency.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

Not only was this a rational suggestion, but you may well have just given me the resource I have been looking for for years that just might get my PETA-supporting mother to give up bacon.

If I could, I'd give you a giant hug about now

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:

I enjoyed this article a lot...shared it on facebook...starting the **** storm
I'm curious to see how my friends (none veg) react.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

It wouldn't have happened to have been shakesville, would it?
It was! Which is precisely why I didn't want to start a ****storm, even though I was tempted, because I respect Liss and the other mods to make any more trouble for them than they already have to put up with, and Liss doesn't like off-topic threads. Besides, you just know that everyone would be jumping down my throat there about all of these imaginary setbacks to becoming veggie and all that nonsense. Normally I love the blog, though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I usually avoid ****storms, because you just end up being labeled as "the preachy veg*n", and you're disregarded anyway. Plus five for Almeria's suggestion!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:

That is an amazing article. Thank you for posting

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is actually a book published about this that is on my summer reading list that labels this behavior as Carnism.

Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows by Dr. Melanie Joy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
lol I love poking fun at these "animal loving" meat eaters. When I was getting into the car with my mum a week or two ago after doing the food shopping she was worried about running over a pigeon she saw walk in front of/under the car (thankfully it was gone by the time we drove off), and I said "why do you care about running it over? You eat dead animals anyway." Her response? "Yeah... but I don't kill them." OH REALLY? So I suppose it's alright to eat it as long as someone else did the killing then, eh?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this article!! I'm sharing it right away.

Of course it's hard for us to hear "animal lovers" talk about their love for their pets while eating pork ribs. But we should never tell them they're hypocrites because it's useless and because they can't understand in what way they are hypocrites as for them there's a big difference between their pets and... "food"! Educating people is so important. It's the only way to make people change their minds and developp a compassion for other species.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts