VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys, I recently got interested in supplementing with b12, because I've been vegan for 7 years and just in case, I don't feel any sympthoms or anything, but I figured might as well, so I went to the local pharmacy and what they had was injectable ones with hydroxocobalamin and the dosage comes in 10.000µg, is it alright I use this or should I look for something else? thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
had you been eating fortified foods all those years?
I've never known injectable b12 to be sold in drugstores! where do you live?
Ever had your levels tested?

I really don't know. I take 1000mcg of methylcobalamin about every 2-3 days, and eat/drink some fortified things

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, haven't had fortified foods all these years, I'm from Argentina and no, haven't had my levels tested either.

Thanks for the reply! :D

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
I'm not a doctor.

If you do intend to get tested for B12 deficiency then get that done before starting on a supplement so the results are accurate. If you do not intend to get tested, just ignore that suggestion ;)
For people who are diagnosed as B12 deficient and are given B12 by injection, they receive up to 1,000µg doses injected into a muscle daily for a while. That 10,000µg vial may be a multiple-dose vial with a 10 day supply.
After resolving your existing deficiency (assuming you have one) it should be enough to get it as pills or mixed in with your food if those are available options.

·
Vegan since 1991
3,667 Posts
Hi Andri,

Your pharmacy should also carry vitamin B12 tablets, if you don't prefer the injection.

Here is a detailed article about vitamin B12 supplementation, written by a vegan Registered Dietitian: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

1 - 5 of 5 Posts