VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
f a..say..burger..says the ingredient after lentils ...is Vegetable Protein (wheat gluten, soy protein), does it go without saying that this is HYDROLYZED vegetable protein? i hope not. coz i rarely buy burgers but i picked these coz all the others said hydrolyzed and and this didn't.

is all vegetable protein like that hydrolyzed and they're just calling it something different?

im only being so picky because ive had debilitating migraines for..well..ever. and i finally went to a doctor and am trying to eliminate food triggers.

the stupid thing is that because im testing what needs to go, it means while im testing it..i could be emphasising whats actually bad while eliminating something thats good (ie. he suggested gluten , coz all my relatives can't eat it, on one side of the family) and while im avoiding MSG and dairy, im going heavy on the gluten, and might end up with worse ones. sigh. but its trial and error.

anyway my point is, apparently hydrolyzed vegetable protein automatically contains MSG.

so ..do these?

so confused.

·
Registered
441 Posts
are you doing the diet yourself? if so, you should follow a proper elimination diet, or you probably wont find your answers.

if your relatives are celiac, you probably are, too.

yes, it is another word for msg. but it's not added, it's naturally there. that is why things say 'no msg added', often instead of just no msg.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really?!?!?

so which part has the MSG then? the 'wheat gluten'? can't be that. the soy bit? again i dont see how. so you must mean that the whole thing, even if its not said, is always hydrolyzed. there aren't two types of vegetable protein. hydrolyzed and..not. sigh. how dissapointing. i love those burgers.

and yes, i told him id do it myself.

isnt that how they'd do it anyway? just cut out something for a while and see what happens??

and damnit are you SURE about the msg? sigh. i respect your knowledge:p im just in denial. my dinner was gonna be awesome. and i really like these, despite hating most commercial veggie burgers. these are 80% lentil! not...1% lentil..99% SPI or something creepy like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts