VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondered if anyone had seen this Imax film. I think it should be required viewing for students at least. It took an in depth look at how the wetlands are shrinking...and why (human intervention for the sake of human convenience). Talked about how the fact of the missing wetlands play a big part in the recent and devistating consequences of tropical storms and hurricanes.

B

·
Registered
0 Posts
The loss of wetlands (and any other geographic feature or habitat) is quite disturbing - but I found this movie to be very poor.

I think than many IMAX movies suffer from a 'see it - feel it' mentality, where the director relies on the fantastic imagery to tell a story, rather than the plot.

'Hurricane on the Bayou' was uninformative (IIRC the movie gives no indication of how to help revive/restore/protect the wetlands) and does not even do a fair job pf reporting the losses in NO after the hurricane. Watching two mediocre musicians tell their small stories may work for some, but the sheer scope of the NO disaster completely eclipses the one family and single person which the movie concentrates on. You could probably make an entire movie just about the looting or the loss of almost all essential services in NO after the hurricane.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, ummmmmm....sketchy. I don't think the point of imax films is to give a thorough account of anything. Having grown up 'on the bayou' myself, I felt the film was very homey, enjoyed the music...and it inspired my daughter to start investigating the loss of wetlands at school. Which to me would be more the point of such films...not to talk about looting and lack of necessary care to children (for whom it may not be appropriate, but who are also the target audience for such films), but to inspire curiosity...which it certainly did for myself and my daughter.

B

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

Yeah, ummmmmm....sketchy. I don't think the point of imax films is to give a thorough account of anything.
I have seen many IMAX films and I feel that the quality of 'Hurricane on the Bayou' compared to other IMAX films is average to below average.

I prefer 'Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure' or 'Mystery of the Nile' as far as IMAX films go. Both of those films give a thorough account of the subject matter but remain accessible to a casual viewer.

You make a good point though, that many IMAX films are short and sweet and geared towards school age children.

My disappointment with 'Hurricane' was that it did not speak to me through images or narrative as someone who has never been near the bayou. I saw multiple flyovers of the bayou and so many boat shots that it became tiresome. The narrative would probably be more interesting if I knew either of the narrators or was more attached to the bayou (as you are).

In the end I wanted more than what seemed like a 5 minute news segment (human interest story) stretched over 40 minutes with repetitive visuals and narration, but as you said (and I agree) I am not the target audience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts