VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Again, sorry if this has been posted before.

I'm strongly against hunting, I 'fing hate it. My step-father hunts, and it's probably one of the biggest reasons why I've decided to become a vegetarian. I really hate it. I especially hate the way he acts. He runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off (er.. no pun intended) around hunting time, making sure that everything is perfect- because god for bid something goes wrong in his quest to kill a beautiful living creature.

I'm tired of protesting. I've been trying since I was ten years old. He knows how much I hate it, and thus hate him, for hunting- it pains me to live in the same house with somebody who takes such joy in killing another living thing.

This year he got a female deer. The fact that the corpse of the animal in which he killed himself is in the same home as I disgusts me to no end. And he cannot keep his mouth shut about it. If he is not talking on the phone with his buddies about every single detail, he is talking to me- he explained to me shortly before I became a vegetarian, how he and his friends skinned and butchered this animal themselves, because butchers tend to throw out some of the lesser quality meat- can't have that, can we? Bah.

It just really got to me this year for some reason. I don't know why. It doesn't help that his relationship with my mother is going to hell, and the only thing he cared about was hunting. The deer, or I guess I should say doe, he killed also had teets- it was heart breaking to hear.

And then he makes it sound like he is some sort of hero.

"WELL, IF WE DIDN'T KILL THEM, THEY WOULD BE ROAMING THE STREETS."

Bull. It's bull and he knows it. And that's besides the point, there isn't a hunter alive who hunts because they fear over-population. They do it because they cannot find any other way to resort to their barbaric stupid hot-blooded whims. It makes me so angry.

"AT LEAST I EAT THE ANIMAL." / "I DON'T KILL DOES WITH BABIES, AND I WAIT 30 MINUTES TO APPROACH AND BLAH BLAH BLAH"

He makes it sound as though we are starving for food, that he is some sort of saviour to us and or himself because he killed this animal to eat. He didn't have to kill this animal and he knows it, supermarkets exist now; even if you insist on eating meat.

He acts as though killing can be justified.

But I'm sorry if I kind of babbled a bit, or seemed a little harsh. I've never complained about it before. I usually just swallow my pride and support him the best I can, because I will never get through to him. Bleh.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granola View Post

But I'm sorry if I kind of babbled a bit, or seemed a little harsh.
Don't be sorry for sounding "harsh". Some bloodsports apologists may take offence, but don't pay attention to them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

Again, sorry if this has been posted before.

I'm strongly against hunting, I 'fing hate it. My step-father hunts, and it's probably one of the biggest reasons why I've decided to become a vegetarian. I really hate it. I especially hate the way he acts. He runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off (er.. no pun intended) around hunting time, making sure that everything is perfect- because god for bid something goes wrong in his quest to kill a beautiful living creature.

I'm tired of protesting. I've been trying since I was ten years old. He knows how much I hate it, and thus hate him, for hunting- it pains me to live in the same house with somebody who takes such joy in killing another living thing.

This year he got a female deer. The fact that the corpse of the animal in which he killed himself is in the same home as I disgusts me to no end. And he cannot keep his mouth shut about it. If he is not talking on the phone with his buddies about every single detail, he is talking to me- he explained to me shortly before I became a vegetarian, how he and his friends skinned and butchered this animal themselves, because butchers tend to throw out some of the lesser quality meat- can't have that, can we? Bah.

It just really got to me this year for some reason. I don't know why. It doesn't help that his relationship with my mother is going to hell, and the only thing he cared about was hunting. The deer, or I guess I should say doe, he killed also had teets- it was heart breaking to hear.

Quote:

Bull. It's bull and he knows it. And that's besides the point, there isn't a hunter alive who hunts because they fear over-population. They do it because they cannot find any other way to resort to their barbaric stupid hot-blooded whims. It makes me so angry.

But I'm sorry if I kind of babbled a bit, or seemed a little harsh. I've never complained about it before. I usually just swallow my pride and support him the best I can, because I will never get through to him. Bleh.
This is the BEST they can come up with..talk about s-t-u-p-i-d!

I gew up in house full of hunters..I hated when they would go out and 'scout'..like they are some kind of CIA agents! In reality all they were doing was finding them when they were eating..ooooohhh..my heros! Please kill them beifre they run in the streets!

Why the heck do they think they roam....because WE took their land from them!

My father stopped hunting a few years back becasue he finally moved to the mountains and they would actually come up to him when he was in his yard. So he says to my wife andmyself..'I cannot hunt anymore. They are so beautiful'. Guess Friken What!?!?!

He moved back to the city about 6 motnhs ago and he already needs to relieve his aggession! He called my brother and tells him he wants to go hunting again. So they went! WTF!

My wife and I were inthe Poconos this morning walking the woods..we raninto a family of deer. The father, mother and two little ones. HTey just looked at us and kpet eating. They were looking right into our eyes..wagging their little tales. How can ANY human being, look them in the eye, set their sights, smile and kill them in cold blood? THEN...THEN..they make sure NOT to shoot them inthe head...WHY? SO they can put their head on the wall!

Why do they do this? Here's the best answer! Because it is sooooo beautiful!

You have got to be Sh&*[email protected] me!

They are cowards with no other way to take out their aggression!

It is sad that our human race can do this wihtout any remorse. It is very sad that we take pleasure in this type of activity..sad sad sad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Barry:

Wow, I would never be able to do that. I have had minimal interactions with these animals- but still enough to know how beautiful they are, and that they do not deserve to be killed.

Yes, the trophy thing.. it's also horrid. My step-father brought home the 'fing skull cap of the deer he had killed one year so that he could show off the antlers. Also, I don't understand why hunters think they are a better hunter because they get a bigger animal. Wtf? Holy crap, your tree-sitting abilities and rifle holding powers, magically called a bigger animal to your where-abouts, I suppose.

Anyway, and let's just say, for the sake of argument, deer were roaming the streets. No one was safe- the deer are out to get us! There are more humane ways to deal with it. Getting out your rifle and trail mix, and hiding up in a tree for two days is not the way to keep the deer population in check. There is such a thing as re-location, and at the very worst, humane euthanizing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Code:

Under that mindset, why don't we just shoot/kill some humans that roam in their own habitat?

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:

"AT LEAST I EAT THE ANIMAL." / "I DON'T KILL DOES WITH BABIES, AND I WAIT 30 MINUTES TO APPROACH AND BLAH BLAH BLAH"

He makes it sound as though we are starving for food, that he is some sort of saviour to us and or himself because he killed this animal to eat. He didn't have to kill this animal and he knows it, supermarkets exist now; even if you insist on eating meat.

He acts as though killing can be justified.
Why would you want your father to purchase meat from a supermarket instead of hunting?! You may be surprised (and dismayed) to know that there are several vegetarians on this board who support hunting as a viable alternative to the horrendous suffering and cruelties found in factory farmed (supermarket) meats. At least he isn't buying into that, and knows where his meat is coming from--and at least the animals had a decent life up-until their death. That's more than any supermarket-destined animal could say.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I understand the point, but unless this man stoically rejects all meat except that which he has killed himself, he's just contributing doubly to the amount of suffering he inflicts in his life.

So not only is he paying for the deaths of cows, pigs, and chickens, he's also actively taking more lives on top of that by hunting. In this way active hunters who lead a typical omni lifestyle cause even more animal suffering than they would if they only procured meat from one source or the other.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

You may be surprised (and dismayed) to know that there are several vegetarians on this board who support hunting as a viable alternative to the horrendous suffering and cruelties found in factory farmed (supermarket) meats.
And, at least one vegan.

I'm also surprised when people rant about responsible hunters, yet don't think twice about the meat in the supermarkets.

From talking to many veggie/semi-veggies, it seems that fish is one of the last things they give up. *Think about that!* Often, semi-veggies and people converting to veggie will eat fish because fish "live their natural lives until caught". Well, when fish are caught, they often suffocate because they are out of the water or they are frozen (to death) until the ships docks.

With hunting, a responsible will take a good shot and will not let the animal suffer.

I have a number or relatives and friends that are responsible hunters. It's because of them I found out what *I* consider the best breed of dog there is - the Springer Spaniel. Imagine a non-bite, non-kill, medium-size, and smart doggie. That's a true-to-the-breed field-breed English Springer Spaniel!

I've think that it's kinda ironic that the "sporting dogs" (aka "hunting dogs" - Labs, Goldens, Springers, Brittney, etc) often make the the *perfect* fur-kid for a veg*an (a non-bite, non-kill doggie).

Because I'm *so much* into Springers, over the years (20+), I've become friends with a number of responsible hunters. Yes, they often *love to brag and boast*! But, as I said, and they *often* point out, they're going to eat meat one way or another. They can either eat meat from a store (an environmental and Animal Rights HORROR), or they can kill a mature animal (with State Laws on limits) that was living it's natural life.

IMHO, it's better for the animal and it's not even close when it comes to the Environmental impact!

Last: I do agree that it is inconsiderate to take about hunting near you if it bothers you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

I understand the point, but unless this man stoically rejects all meat except that which he has killed himself, he's just contributing doubly to the amount of suffering he inflicts in his life.
HUH???

If people EAT what they kill, then they do not buy that equivalent amount of meat from the market.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I feel for the OP. Where I live there is a small herd of deer that visits practically every day. Unfortunately, my neighbors have stupidly sealed these animals' fates by tossing them food like a bunch of barnyard goats. They have almost no fear of humans.

One of the friendliest deer was a very young buck. Even when the other deer would run when you approached them, he would just stand and watch curiously.

I had suspected that hunting was allowed in my area when I noticed that absolute dearth of adult male deer. Mature does, fawns, and baby bucks with antlers like popsicle sticks are all that can be seen. In my state the majority of male deer do not live to see their second birthday. Then my boyfriend said he saw hunters hiking up the hill with bows.

Well, since the first day of deer season, the baby buck has completely disappeared. He had a tiny doe he hung out with, and now she comes alone and much more warily. I just know he got shafted through with an arrow, and it makes me want to be sick. I can just hear the hunters laughing and joshing each other about the runty "spike buck" So-and-So shot.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I've known exceptionally few hunters who will refuse a BBQ hamburger, a trip to a steakhouse, or a Thanksgiving turkey. In fact, I've known plenty who bring hotdogs and balogna sandwiches in their lunch while bragging about how much venison they have in their freezers. Either way, hunters who consume a typical American diet are contributing to the deaths of both factory-farmed and wild animals. They have just broadened their scope of the species that suffer and die for them.

Secondly, I don't take any more stock in the rhetoric of "responsible hunting" than "responsible" trapping, rodeo, or slaughterhouse operation. All of these industries have plenty of platitudes for the public about how professional and careful they are. Hunted animals don't always absorb one shot and drop like a rock. They may run for quite a distance before dropping from weakness and exhaustion, and still have to be finished off with a close-range shot. This is especially true of bowhunting and "primitive firearms" hunting, which have increased in popularity. I know this both from accounts from hunters and from perusing hunting magazines. That's what following a blood trail is all about--locating a shot animal who has managed to flee with his bleeding wound.

I believe that a truly responsible sportsman would be carrying a camera and binoculars into the woods, or would be aiming at a paper bullseye. I won't defend the compulsion that drives 4% of the population to kill for fun just because the animals have it better than factory farmed animals. Virtually everything we do to animals is kinder than factory farming--that doesn't make it right.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post

And, at least one vegan.

I'm also surprised when people rant about responsible hunters, yet don't think twice about the meat in the supermarkets.

From talking to many veggie/semi-veggies, it seems that fish is one of the last things they give up. *Think about that!* Often, semi-veggies and people converting to veggie will eat fish because fish "live their natural lives until caught". Well, when fish are caught, they often suffocate because they are out of the water or they are frozen (to death) until the ships docks.

With hunting, a responsible will take a good shot and will not let the animal suffer.

I have a number or relatives and friends that are responsible hunters. It's because of them I found out what *I* consider the best breed of dog there is - the Springer Spaniel. Imagine a non-bite, non-kill, medium-size, and smart doggie. That's a true-to-the-breed field-breed English Springer Spaniel!

I've think that it's kinda ironic that the "sporting dogs" (aka "hunting dogs" - Labs, Goldens, Springers, Brittney, etc) often make the the *perfect* fur-kid for a veg*an (a non-bite, non-kill doggie).

Because I'm *so much* into Springers, over the years (20+), I've become friends with a number of responsible hunters. Yes, they often *love to brag and boast*! But, as I said, and they *often* point out, they're going to eat meat one way or another. They can either eat meat from a store (an environmental and Animal Rights HORROR), or they can kill a mature animal (with State Laws on limits) that was living it's natural life.

IMHO, it's better for the animal and it's not even close when it comes to the Environmental impact!

Last: I do agree that it is inconsiderate to take about hunting near you if it bothers you.
Quote:
With hunting, a responsible will take a good shot and will not let the animal suffer
Can we add 'Try' to take a good shot?

There are MANY deer that suffer because of a poor shot. When wounded they will run and run, usually outlasting the out of shape hunters who can't walk a block (oh I forgot.... they ARE in shape because they have to be in order to drag the dead carcus back to their car) until they finally die and land where they land, especially during bow season. This is usually caused by the hunters 'excitement' to kill an poor innocent animal.

So when the cowards, sorry, hunters say 'this is how the cavemen did it!'. Remind them that cavemen were in shape and did not sit on a recliner 6 hours a day, then decide to play hero. They were always moving and they hunted out of necessity at a time when vegetation was not available.

That's all..... I do agree it is less strain on the environment, but it is still TOTALLY unnecessary

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post

It's because of them I found out what *I* consider the best breed of dog there is - the Springer Spaniel. Imagine a non-bite, non-kill, medium-size, and smart doggie. That's a true-to-the-breed field-breed English Springer Spaniel!
I'm concerned that someone pays so much attention to dog breeds and lists their qualities like the qualities of a car.

Also, I don't think there's responsible hunting.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:

he explained to me shortly before I became a vegetarian, how he and his friends skinned and butchered this animal themselves, because butchers tend to throw out some of the lesser quality meat- can't have that, can we? Bah.
Well, it is better IMO to use all of the animal you've killed, rather than just take select parts and throw the rest away.

Quote:
They do it because they cannot find any other way to resort to their barbaric stupid hot-blooded whims. It makes me so angry.
May make you angry, but I don't think that they hunt due to "barbaric stupid hot-blooded whims" unless they're sport hunting - which he is not, because he's hunting for food.

Will that one animal (maybe two animals) supply meat for the family over the whole winter? If so, isn't that better than buying multiple Styrofoam packages of factory-farmed meat which came to the store from several animals via horrid worker conditions and pollution-creating vehicles?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Plenty of recreational hunters eat the animals they kill. That doesn't mean they aren't doing it primarily for recreation. Few modern hunters would go hungry if they neglected to to go hunting for a season. They hunt because they enjoy hunting.

And as others have said, it is true that hunted animals have better lives than factory farm animals (but equally painful and frightening deaths). Unless this guy NEVER buys meat at the store and carries wrapped venison along with him when he goes out to restaurants, he cannot claim his omni diet is more ethical than others.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Quote:
Plenty of recreational hunters eat the animals they kill. That doesn't mean they aren't doing it primarily for recreation. Few modern hunters would go hungry if they neglected to to go hunting for a season. They hunt because they enjoy hunting.

that has been, overwhelmingly, my experience with it. I was raised around hunting too, although it was never a huge thing in our house. Trapping for fur on the other hand... but that's another topic for another thread...

I, too, feel that hunting is, at its core, a barbaric blood-sport.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

And as others have said, it is true that hunted animals have better lives than factory farm animals (but equally painful and frightening deaths). Unless this guy NEVER buys meat at the store and carries wrapped venison along with him when he goes out to restaurants, he cannot claim his omni diet is more ethical than others.
Well sure he can. He's buying LESS meat from the store if he's supplementing his diet with hunted meat. If he stops hunting, but doesn't change his diet (eg, become vegetarian) then he's going to be buying more meat from factory farms.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What I meant by going to a supermarket instead is, not that the animals at slaughterhouses are killed any better (if there is such a thing), but that it cannot be justified that he wants to kill another living thing, if you know what I mean. Why kill another animal if you don't have to? And why do it yourself? That's what I meant.

He just does it because he enjoys hunting, why, I'll never know.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:

What I meant by going to a supermarket instead is, not that the animals at slaughterhouses are killed any better (if there is such a thing), but that it cannot be justified that he wants to kill another living thing, if you know what I mean. Why kill another animal if you don't have to? And why do it yourself? That's what I meant.
I don't really understand what you mean, but I do understand the frustration of having omnivore parents and wishing they saw things the same way that you do. Or maybe you mean that you hate the thought of your father being a "killer" rather than just being complacently ignorant about where his food comes from? I guess I could see that, though I tend to think differently there.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts