VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think of hunting sabotage?

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
You're bringing up a lot of abrasive and opposing things lately.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

You're bringing up a lot of abrasive and opposing things lately.
Its perfectly legal...

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

Its perfectly legal...
Yes, it's perfectly legal to make threads on many abrasive and opposing topics.

·
Registered
966 Posts
You mean sabotaging a hunter's kill? If it involves destroying other people's property, I definitely don't agree with it. I like the idea of preventing animal deaths, but I don't think that's the way to go about doing it.

Quote:
Its perfectly legal...
To what extent? You mean like making noises so the animal will run away? I sort of like that idea, but isn't there a chance you could get accidentally shot yourself?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

It's terrorism, it doesn't work.
Could you elaborate? Is terror visited on hunters? I thought hunt sab could just mean people going into a forest with loud noises and such to warn the animals.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, making noises and scaring the animals away. Not destroying any property or anything. I don't think anyone has ever gotten shot from it, but they have gotten beat up by the hunters. That's why the saboteurs go in large numbers

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Could you elaborate? Is terror visited on hunters? I thought hunt sab could just mean people going into a forest with loud noises and such to warn the animals.
Quote:

Yes, making noises and scaring the animals away. Not destroying any property or anything. I don't think anyone has ever gotten shot from it, but they have gotten beat up by the hunters. That's why the saboteurs go in large numbers
Oh ok, that sort of stuff is just fine. I was thinking of the thugs who clearly stand for nothing except violence, who attack hunters or poison their dogs and horses.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

I did that A LOT in Alaska during Moose-death season.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
To be honest, I don't know if that stuff that I talked about even really goes on or if it's just pro-hunt propaganda I picked up somewhere...

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I wouldn't want to get between an idiot and his/her gun.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Oh ok, that sort of stuff is just fine. I was thinking of the thugs who clearly stand for nothing except violence, who hunters or poison their dogs and horses.
Yeah, thatll really get their point across.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:

I would be hesitant to do it as well. What if they shot you on purpose and pretended like it was an accident? I wouldn't put it past some people...

I have plenty of respect for anyone who would participate in hunter sabotage, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to take that risk. Maybe if it was in a big group...

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Here's what wikipedia says "hunting sabotage" is:
Quote:
Hunt sabotage is the direct action that animal rights or animal welfare activists undertake to interfere with hunting activity.

Anti-hunting campaigners are divided into those who believe in direct intervention and those who watch the hunt to monitor for cruelty and report violations of animal welfare laws. Interventionists may lay false trails or use sound and visual distractions to prevent the hunters from being successful, and enter hunting estates and farms to disarm animal traps.

Non-interventionists use video, photography and witness statements to support prosecution of hunters who commit offenses or to raise awareness of issues they consider show hunting as cruel, ineffective or in a bad light.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunt_saboteur

Another peaceful method:
I've heard that some activists will buy up hunting permits in places where a liited number are sold. Then they just don't hunt. So that reduces the amount of deaths caused by hunting. The money still goes to Dept of Fish and Wildlife and might be used to promote hunting, but if it's organized and made public after the hunt, it could show that people who care about wildlife will spend more money on protection than on hunting, making sanctuaries and preserves more profitable when they prohibit hunting.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Here's what wikipedia says "hunting sabotage" is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunt_saboteur

Another peaceful method:
I've heard that some activists will buy up hunting permits in places where a liited number are sold. Then they just don't hunt. So that reduces the amount of deaths caused by hunting. The money still goes to Dept of Fish and Wildlife and might be used to promote hunting, but if it's organized and made public after the hunt, it could show that people who care about wildlife will spend more money on protection than on hunting, making sanctuaries and preserves more profitable when they prohibit hunting.
I have a friend who ritually buys as many permits as they can in an area where only a limited amount are sold, and then mails a letter with his receipt attached saying he bought them so others would not, so animals will live. He's never gotten a letter back, but that's his yearly ritual.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:

^This. The last person I want to piss off is one that has a loaded weapon in their hand.

I think it's an extremely risky thing to do. There are constant news reports here of deadly hunting accidents. Sometimes it's one hunter accidently shooting and killing another hunter and sometimes it's hunters accidently shooting their children that they take along with them

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I've only done it right in front of a hunter once. Was just an accident that we came upon him (just me and my wife). First thing I did was grab my wife's cell and acted like I was making a call, and looking at the hunter the whole time (I wanted the hunter to think I was telling someone where I was, in case the hunter thought he could kill me and my Wife and nobody would ever know). He was about 50 feet away. Then we just hung around and waited a little further away (small patch of trees between us and the hunter). Finally a Deer came out in the open, and I yelled and clapped but the Deer just stood there and looked at me. I had to run at the Deer to get him to go back into the trees (and into the view of the hunter and his rifle). Stayed a while longer until my Wife couldn't take it anymore. Was quite dark by then, so I hope it was too dark for the hunter to take aim at any more Deer.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.