VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been noticing I have this problem. I am in high school, and I pack a lunch. Lunch usually includes an apple, orange, almonds, granola, carrots, and maybe some other stuff. I eat throughout the day, during class, and I drink a lot of water. When I come home though, I pig out way too much. When I got home today I had 2 things of pita bread with a whole tub of hummus, 10 tofurkey slices, a tofurkey sauasauge, and some other stuff. How can I stop my cravings when I get home? The stuff I eat is not unhealthy, I just eat too much of it

·
Registered
824 Posts
Sounds like a lot of the stuff you eat is unhealthy. Those processed soy treats are better than meat, but don't eat too many of them. Eat something heavier and more filling like rice with veg and cut down on the processed stuff, you'll be amazed at the difference. Also think about bringing something heavier like that along to school?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Any processed fake meat isn't great for you. It's not terrible, but generally you shouldn't be eating too much of it. All things in moderation.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Why don't you also pack a peanut butter (or almond butter) and jelly sandwich for lunch? You might need to eat a bit more fat at lunch to feel more satisfied through the afternoon. Or maybe some more bulk - try a bagel and hummus or a few slices of tofurky and vegenaise.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
You need more filling meals at school. I'd be hungry too if all I had were some veggie sticks, an apple or orange and granola. Maybe look up some easy recipes or feel free to ask if you need some ideas. Do you eat a decent breakfast? That helps too.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
my jaw dropped when I saw 10 slices of tofurkey plus the sausages! definately need some breakfast. Try some oatmeal or whole grain cereal, or even a smoothie with some flax or chia seeds added for protein.
then yes, you really need a heartier lunch to hold you over. Do you have microwaves you can heat food up in at school?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have for breakfast a smoothie with blueberries, strawberries, rasberries, blackberries, almond milk, banana, hemp seed, chia seed, spinach, and flax seed

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

I have for breakfast a smoothie with blueberries, strawberries, rasberries, blackberries, almond milk, banana, hemp seed, chia seed, spinach, and flax seed
Well that's a good start. Try eating a salad based on a half a head of romaine lettuce and lots of other veggies added to it as well. It takes me 45 minutes to finish my salad, and I am stuffed to the gills with it too. You just need to learn to eat more volume, and add more fresh raw stuff to your diet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You just aren't having enough protein during the day. So when you gt home your blood sugar has probably plummeted.

Take some hummus for your vegetables, or make yourself a hummus and veggie pita.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

So I have been noticing I have this problem. I am in high school, and I pack a lunch. Lunch usually includes an apple, orange, almonds, granola, carrots, and maybe some other stuff. I eat throughout the day, during class, and I drink a lot of water. When I come home though, I pig out way too much. When I got home today I had 2 things of pita bread with a whole tub of hummus, 10 tofurkey slices, a tofurkey sauasauge, and some other stuff. How can I stop my cravings when I get home? The stuff I eat is not unhealthy, I just eat too much of it
I agree with Kris.
It would seem that you need more complex carbs on your diet to keep you fuller for longer, and stop the cravings you describe. I would try to take a sandwich to school too, you could even add a toast with nuts spread on it for breaky and at night maybe you can have pasta with vegies, and add more legumes. Potatos can also be your best friend, they are filling and soo yumm, by the way the best way to have them: roasted or boiled, not fried as its not so healthy. I cut them in cubes, boil them until just tender, and then mix with olive oil and parsley, yummm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts