VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I bought hummus tonight after so many people have sang its praises. I also bought some pitas. I will be taking it to work with me tomorrow.

So do you just eat it on pita plain? What else do you eat it with? Sorry, but it is very foreign to me. I know I sound ridiculous. Oh well.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
if you're eating it as a pita bread sandwich type of thing, it's really good with lots of sandwichy-type toppings - tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cucumber...whatever you like best!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I prefer it as a dip for veggies rather than a sammich spread. Celery, cucumber slices, stuffed in tiny tomatos, carrot sticks, jicima, peapods, etc. YUM!

If using it in a sandwich, I add sprouts (LOVE those spicy broccoli-sprouts especially) some thin sliced purple onion, juicy tomato and spinich leaves.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I used to think I hated hummus. Apparently I just hated the one I tried. If you happen to have one you dislike, KEEP TRYING IT. They all taste different. Try another brand/flavor.

I don't like it with veggies. I like my hummus spicy, with pita bread or pita chips.

I did get a hummus wrap from a restaurant once, it was really good.

It was like tricia said. It had chopped veggies on it and some kind of italian-type dressing.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I like it with tortilla chips or cucumber slices. I also make it spicy, and I add cumin and flaxseed meal. Yummy.

Have fun becoming a hummus woman. Use protection, by which I mean a napkin.

~Wonder

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Hummus sucks, IMO. Still waiting to taste some good hummus. There's a certain restaurant where I'll try that probably.

·
Registered
64 Posts
MMMMM love me some hummus....just for dipping pita bread or even chips (I like fat free plain pringles in it LOL)...veggies in it or as a sandwich spread all very tasty!!!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

because it'll hurt more.
Almost as much as I love hummus. And anything Robin Hood (despite Kevin Costner).

I sometimes eat hummus with a nice, crisp pair of pants. By which I mean toasted pita bread.

It's also good in a spinach wrap with some sliced avacado, heritage tomato and mixed greens.

Mostly I eat it with a spoon though. But that's only because I can't get it to stay on a cone.

·
Banned
466 Posts
I love it on sandwiches with carrot or olives. I also love it just spread on oatcakes. And yeah, as a dip for veggies. Celcery in particularly (pretty much the only way I like celery).

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Who knew hummus was so versitile (not me!). I did bring some baby carrots with me, along with the pita, which I could have dipped in my hummus but I lost them somehow. How does a person lose a bag of carrots? Oh well.

I will try it on my whole wheat pita. Although, not yet because it is too early (8:30a.m.).

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I like to cut pita into wedges and dip it in the hummus. I also like to dip in carrot sticks, celery, cucumber slices, red bell pepper strips,....the list goes on and on.

When I'm out of pita, I like to spread it on crackers (triscuits + hummus =
)

There's a greek place that I like to go to that makes a grilled eggplant sandwich with a big heap of hummus all wrapped in a pita

And yes, if you're out of pita, fresh veggies and crackers, feel free to eat it with a spoon. Or you can bypass the spoon alltogether and just eat it out of the container with your finger.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

I will try it on my whole wheat pita. Although, not yet because it is too early (8:30a.m.).
Ooh it is never too early for hummus LOL! I have eaten it for breakkie more than a few times
ooh another tip is heat the pita up if you can then rip pieces of it to dip into the hummus!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just posted this on another thread.

Hummus sandwich on a toasted everything bagel with lettuce and sliced red onions. Mmmmmm..... I can taste the garlic belches already.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts