VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am I crazy?

I want to make my own hummus, because it's cheaper and more efficent than constantly going to the store for tiny amounts they sell for $3?

but, we have no food processor... we do have a blender

i got to thinking.. would it work, i haven't tried it, and am not to eager to break the blender..

has anyone tried it? or does anyone else know of alternative ways to make hummus w/o the proccessor? i mean, even just using a fork to mash it up (like how you make guacamole) seems like it'd work...

any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated !!!

thanks soo much

·
Registered
0 Posts
A blender should work find because the ingredients are mushy enough. It won't hurt the blender at all. And yes, you could use a fork or even a potatoe masher if you have one.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I *always* make my hummus in a blender. Yummy!
My only suggestion is that you don't put all the tahini in first, as it will not blend the beans if you do. I put in about 1/3 of the beans & 1/3 of the tahini & oil (and whatever else you're using), blend, then another 1/3 and so on so the blades don't get stuck.

Have fun!! Homemade hummus is the best, I think. Tell us how yours turns out.

Mskedi

·
Registered
0 Posts
I sometimes have to use a slight more amount of oil and water, just to get it blended. But, it thickens up fine overnight in the fridge.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I use a blender for homemade hummus, and also in an emergency I use it to whip up the dry mix from the bulk aisle. Even though the directions say to just mix with a whisk, I find blending the only way to make instant hummus palatable. Add fresh lemon and it's not so bad.

Brandy

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I have a blender. I wouldn't think of using it for hummus. It's easier to use a potato-masher. It only takes a minute. Cleaning the blender blade and the blender jar takes longer than the whole process of mashing with a potato masher and cleaning the masher and the bowl you mashed in, which can be the same bowl you serve from and store in. No, it's not creamy smooth, but it's not "lumpy" either. I prefer it coarse. It has more character that way. The oil and the (oily) tahini make the bean-mashing easier. I use chik peas and add a bit of the water they were cooked in. I save the rest of the water for other purposes. Many, if not most, of the micronutrients end up in the cooking water, rather than in the beans. You musn't use the cooking water from red, black, or reddish-brown beans. It contains too much tannic acid. But the cooking water from chikpeas is wonderful.

I am revolted by canned chik peas. The bleach they put in it too -- i don't know how safe it is.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
There's bleach in canned chik peas? Who knew... even the organic ones? Now I'm going to have to go check...

Mskedi

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I've never seen organic canned chik peas. I'm not saying they don't exist, i assume they do.

They call the bleach "color protectant" or "color retention aid" or something like that. A typicl one is edta. I don't know anything about its chemistry tho or how it works to keep the chik peas from gradually darkening with age, in the can.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Here's the ingredients on my can (I'm pretty well-stocked due to my addiction to hummus...):

water, organic garbanzo beans, sea salt

no mention of edta (I think I've seen calcium edta on some of my foods, though -- didn't know it was anything to worry about) or color retention aids, so I'm assuming it's safe.

Hey.. this can has the vegetarian food pyramid on it -- neat.

Mskedi

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I use canned chik peas too - but only because they don't selll dried here (yes, I live on mars..... or it seems that way sometimes). I have a friend visiting the states - and one of the things on my wish list for her to bring back was Dried Garbanzos.

Soilman - I like the "rough" hummus too. Never thought of mashing it by hand. I use the pulse on the food processor to control the smoothness.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/mom/edta/edta.html

What do the "unwanted metals" in a can of chick peas come from? Why, the can! Just my guess. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just put chikpeas in jars instead of cans?
Oh bother.
Yes, jarred garbanzo beans *would* be a good idea. I mean, they have jarred artichoke hearts and roasted bell peppers & such -- why not beans? I'm not looking forward to soaking my beans before making hummus...argh. Of course, I have tons of ckickpeas here, so it'll be a bit before I have to buy more.

Mskedi

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, finally got down to making the hummus today. started by using the blender.. but that was just too loud, and the blades kept getting jammed... so i just started mashing them with a fork.. mash mash mash.. scrape scrape.. mash mash mash... etc

then for seasonings, just checked what there was in the apt.. tried some garlic salt and .. whoo-ee.. went a little heavy-handed there.. wow...

but mashing with the fork was fun, and great.. i got it fairly smooth, which is nice.. it seems more homemade this way. took longer, but it definately has a more 'hands on' feeling

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do it both ways - by hand and in the blender. Depends on who's going to be eating it, if it's just me I like it kind of "chunky" with big pieces of garlic in it, etc.

In the blender, sometimes I have to push everything down while blending (careful not to touch the blades though) until it all starts to mush together.

I almost never buy the little tubs of hummus anymore, not if I'm anywhere near home that's for certain.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"sometimes I have to push everything down while blending (careful not to touch the blades though)"

Use a carrot. Then if you accidentally touch the blade with the carrot, it is not big deal. Just cut a thin slice off the large-diameter end, where the leaves had been attached, so that you have a flat pusher remaining.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I always use a blender for my hummus and it works just dandy. If it sticks you can add a little more bean juice, or move the contents around a bit. As for the ckickpeas, I usually use dried, but if I'm in a hurry I'll buy a can of the organic ones. I think they're the Eden brand.

As for washing the blender, I always just wash the blades by filling the blender with soapy water and turning it on for a while. It's not hard at all, certainly easier to me than mashing the beans with a potato masher or a fork...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts