VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I read about how everyone...or at least a lot of people looove hummus. A little while ago, I purchased some "DILL" hummus and thought it was disgusting. However, I liked the texture, very spreadable and maybe even sandwich-worthy? Anyways, my question is how do you guys use hummus and which flavors do you like?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha, what a coinsidence. Maybe we should have a conjoined question....or maybe not, cuz they're kinda different. Since you even know how to make it, do you have any suggestions of your own or are you experimenting with it as well?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I love hummus. I will put it on a bagel sometimes, or just eat it with pita bread. I love the garlic based hummus, and peanut butter hummus.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hummus... Ooooh. I love hummus!

Here's what I do:

take one can of chick-peas and blenderize it with 1 white or red (or vidalia) onion (or 1/2 red, 1/2 white) with about 3-5 cloves of garlic (yeah, my mom won't touch the stuff, she hates garlic, not the flavour, but she hates having "garlic breath". Then I add about 1/4 a lemon's juice and about 1-3 tbsp tahini. Blenderize! If it needs to be more liquidy, I'll add chick-pea-juice stuff, and if I am creative, I'll add another can of another bean (like black beans or red beans), it gives it a GREAT smooth pasty consistancy. Oh yeah, and don't forget to SALT IT (to taste, of course).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Now you just get a pita, slice it in half (so you have two circles), and layer the stuff down; hummus, then the tomato, then the cucumber, onion and finally anything else. Best veggie sammich ever!

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sandiemac

sounds good but i still want PNB hummus!!!!! i'm fixated on it now
Me too. Peanut butter hummus...
I've heard about subbing peanut butter for tahini in a standard hummus recipe but not doing a peanut butter hummus.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm lazy and buy mine. Basha & Tribe of Two Shieks are the only brands I like. The others are disgusting. The only flavors I really like other than the original are Roasted Garlic and the garlic & chives.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
No! Stop the tickling!!!! Here's the Peanut butter hummus recipe:

1 can of chickpeas

1 clove of garlic

2 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 cup silken tofu

1 Tbs. salt

4 Tbs. peanut butter

Blend well. Eat the whole bowl immediately. Or save some, if you absolutely have to. I guess.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Just today, I made some hummus but put Tapatio in it instead of black pepper. For those that may not know: Tapatio is a habinaro chili sauce that is really good but really, really hot!!

The batch turned out really good and even though it's setting me on fire, it's really addictive. The more I eat, the more I want and the more I want, the more I eat and...

*sings Bruce Springsteen* OO OO OO, I'm on fire...

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
A day after I've made my habenaro hummus (and ate about half of it)... *sings James Brown* WAAAW! I feel good NA na NA na NA na NA....
There's no "fire down below", no "great balls of fire", no "ring of fire", and no hunka-hunka "burning love"....

There's not even "smoke on the water"

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hahahaha...

Roasted Eggplant is my preference.

I absolutely love hummus.

You can make a vegan pesto-hummus at home (pesto: fresh basil, pine nuts, olive oil, fresh garlic cloves, and vegan parmesean)- that is pretty good.

You can use hummus in sooo many ways. Here are some of mine:

In a wrap, as a veggie dip, on pita, on bread, on crackers, a dip for chips, in a burrito, mixed in with rice and steamed or sauteed veggies, on a pizza, on a tofu sandwich, (depending on consistency) a salad dressing, on a rosemary kalamata roll with veggie pepperoni or salami, .......etc, etc....

Yum.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I always get Roasted Red Pepper.. by.. some brand I can't remember. :p Anyway, it's rockin. Very good with carrots.. something about the deep orange/red hues mingling?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts