VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all hummous fiends.

I keep trying to make hummous out of canned chick peas, and can't quite get it right. For one, the preservatives make the chick peas bright yellow--the hummous looks more like mustard when I'm done, and it's too runny. So i tried making it from dried chick peas, but don't have a real good recipe for it.

There's a restaurant by my house that makes the most EXCELLENT hummous, and I've been trying to copy it for weeks but can't quite get it right. They don't give out their recipes, so I'm left to my own devices.

Any suggestions? Do you have a favorite recipe you use? I want to make it at home cause it seems so simple and cheap.

Thanks.

P.S. Try eating hummous with sliced pears and apples. Sounds crazy, but it ROCKS! Doesn't make you quite as full, either, cause it's fruit instead of bread.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
This is how I make it (I don't know if it's the best out there)

2 cups Garbanzo Beans (cooked from dried beans)

1/3-1/2 cup reserved cooking water

3 Tablespoons tahini (roasted or regular.....I like regular)

1 clove garlic minced (more if you like garlic)

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoons oil (I use vegetable but you can use olive oil)

1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice (depending on your taste)

Place all ingredient in food processor. Process until smooth adding water as needed for the consistency you want.

From this basic recipe you can make lots of modifications to suit your taste.

p.s - I've never had any luck using canned garbanzos either.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I usually make my hummus this way-

1- 20oz can chick peas-drained and rinsed (15oz can works ok)

1/3 C tahini

lots and lots of garlic cloves

3-4 TBSP lemon juice

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/4 C olive oil

water until consistency is desired

lots of freshly ground pepper

I throw all of this in the food processer, and always have good results. Sometimes I'll add some plumped sun-died tomatoes and cumin too.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I make a real good Mexican hummus:

can garbonzo beans

can black beans

olive oil

lemon juice (fresh)

salt and pepper to taste

apple cider vinegar

a whole bunch of chopped cilantro

I don't really know measurements. I just throw it all in there and blend.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I make hummus the same as dvmarie, but I leave out the oil and salt and use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic. Fresh garlic gives it a 'bite' that I'm not fond of.

Oh, and don't throw away your chick pea cooking water. It makes a great substitute for part or all of the oil in salad dressings. It keeps for a few days in the fridge, but I always freeze some in cubes, and store them in a food bag so I've always got some when I need some.

I picked up that tip from 'Nonna's Italian kitchen'

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
http://www.veganmania.com has my recipe for hummus, in the snacks, dips and spreads section. i use canned chickpeas but they aren't yellow...they are simply packed in water, with a bit of salt and some citric acid. i've also used homecooked chickpeas, too, but i'm too busy these days to do that normally.

i've discovered the joy of making hummus thin enough to be a kind of sauce for veggies and things. for instance, i'll thin it out with some extra water and tahini, and then pour it into hollowed out tomatoes, sprinkle with fresh parsley and/or chives, and then broil until the stuffed tomato is heated through. it's great to eat with a knife and fork! or i'll make the hummus quite a bit thinner, and then mix it into the fluffy flesh of baked potatoes, scoop this mixture back into the potato skins, top with more hummus sauce, and then broil until heated through and browned on top. so good!

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Here's my hummus recipe:

1 can canned chickpeas/garbonzo beans (save the "bean juice")

juice of 1 lemon (give or take)

about 5-7 cloves of garlic (I use the minced stuff in the jar so I'm not really sure how many cloves my 2 big spoonfulls are)

about 3 Tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil

a bare pinch of salt (optional)

Toss everything in processor and whir. Add the reserved bean juice slowly to get the desired consistency.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sunshinemelissa--Mexican hummous? Wow. Sounds great, never thought of it.

Thanks for all the recipes, guys. I'll keep a "hummous page" for my stack of recipes and try some of these out.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Tonight I made hummus with raw, sprouted chick peas.

I substituted sprouted chickpeas for cooked. It had a slightly different taste, but was just as delicious! I heartily recommend it

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Here's my recipe... This is via my former supervisor who was Syrian. It's an "official" recipe.

1 15 oz can of chickpeas (I use eden organic) reserve the liquid from the can. (reserve a chickpea or two if you're feeling fancy)

3 cloves of garlic ( less if you are a wuss)
mashed to a paste with a mortar and pestal, crushed in a garlic press or chopped fineley

Juice of Half a lemon

1 T of Tahini

1t of Cumin mixed with 1/2 t of sea salt

In a blender or food processer combine the Garbanzo beans with tahini,lemon juice and garlic Process until smooth. Stopping every so often to scrape the sides with a spatula. Add the reserved bean liquid and process again until smooth. Dump contents into a tupperware container and mix in the cumin/salt mixture with a spoon. If you were feeling fancy and saved a couple of chickpeas, add them to the top. Let refridgerate over night so the flavors marry. (This is important, otherwise it seems very bland) Put the reserved chickpeas on top of hummus and dust with paprika and a drizzle of good olive oil.

·
Registered
312 Posts
this raw hummus from living-foods.com is the BEST hummus EVER! I promise!
and it's super easy to make...

No Bean Humus

2 medium zucchini

1/4 cup olive oil

4-8 garlic cloves

2 t celtic salt (or use dulse flakes)

1/2 cup lemon or lime juice

3/4 cup sesame seeds

3/4 cup tahini

1/4 t cayenne

1 t paprika

1 t ground cumin

Process zucchini, olive oil and garlic first in food processor. _ Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth!!_ Yummy!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Funny about the weirdness you're getting with the canned chickpeas - I haven't had that problem, and they certainly aren't yellow. Maybe look for a different brand?

I think the important thing is to just experiment. Restaurant hummus is usually oilier and more runny than the kind in the little plastic cartons at the grocery store. Vary the proportions of tahini, oil, water, and lemon juice until you get the texture and taste you like.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've made a non-traditional hummus with kidney beans. It turns out pink

Mash together: 19-oz can kidney beans (drained), 2 Tb. each lemon juice, olive oil and tahini, and one clove garlic, minced. Chill and serve with pitas.

I agree with Seusomon about experimenting. I find store bought hummus too acidic. If you like store bought hummus, you may want to add more lemon juice to your hummus to achieve the flavour you're used to. Restaurants will usually add more fat (whether its olive oil or tahini or both) to their hummus than home cooks do, so if you're not getting the flavour you want try upping the fat. At least they're healthy fats

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.