VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well, that's one of the stupidest things I've heard lately.
Heavens, I do fine in school, and I'm perfectly healthy, thank you very much. And I'm not mad... just... I don't know... wondering what's wrong with this person. Making us sound like a bunch of crazy lunatics. Well... I guess some of us are... but not for that.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
R u sure??? Then why do you look so sad in your avatar? Ha!! No wonder you're down - you're starving, kid!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
oh pleeeaaassseee - one of the most irritating comments was: "Any anthropologist ..will tell you that plant-eating mammals have wide flat teeth...and meat-eaters have sharp pointed teeth. The presence of "canine" teeth is a dead giveaway. The most vicious carnivores have them and their only purpose is to tear flesh."

-oh, that must be why humans are able to chase their prey and take them down with our sharp canines - i mean, come on!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The anthropological comment isn't far off. You aren't meant to chase down your food with your teeth, but you are expected to use those incisors to rip the meat when you hunt it down.

Grinding molars, which we also have, are for just that- grinding. But Canines are for ripping.

·
Registered
478 Posts
How absurd. Even horses have canines... has some one bothered to inform them that they need to be eating meat?

I really really hope no one takes that load of BS seriously.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i laugh just as hard at the articles that say we are designed to be herbivores. the truth of it is we are biologically designed to be omnivores, which means we are able to eat both meat and plants. it doesn't me we have to eat meat or plants. it just means we can, if we want to.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I wrote an email to him.

Quote:
Dr. Beaman-

I am concerned about the sources you used when researching for your answer concerning vegetarian diets Sunday, April 6, 2003. I am assuming you did do research, since to not would be irresponsible journalism. Maybe you accidentally missed this statement from the American Dietetic Association states, "Scientific data suggest positive relationships between a vegetarian diet and reduced risk for several chronic degenerative diseases and conditions, including obesity, coronary artery disease, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and some types of cancer. Vegetarian diets, like all diets, need to be planned appropriately to be nutritionally adequate.

It is the position of The American Dietetic Association (ADA) that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, are nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases."

or the many professional articles at the Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group of the American Dietetic Association. http://www.andrews.edu/NUFS/vndpg.html

Or what about the fact that the average American gets about double the required amount of protein, possbily contributing to kidney problems and osteoporosis.

As far as our ancestors go, remind me of what their "natural" lifespan was? Perhpas we are only "naturally", meant to live to 30 years old or so.

Thank you,

Thalia
Edited to add: That kind of ignorant crap passing as journalism (and from a physician no less) really makes me mad!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Two things that are annoying and ridiculous in that article:

"They are all vegetarians and they won't stop talking about how human beings are natural vegetarians and eating meat is murder."

He goes on to say, "The mom next door is a vegan but the others eat fish and milk products."

He considers the fish eaters vegetarians, and the fish eaters think meat is murder and apparently consider themselves vegetarians. What's it going to take for people to grasp the fact that fish aren't vegetables, and neither is poultry?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
One thing I always hear and it bugs me cause I cant answer it. The eye placement thing. Plant eating animals eyes are in the sides of there heads,more range of vision,better protection from flesh eaters. And carnivores eyes are placed in the front,for better focus while hunting. Us peeps eyes are in the front of are mellons. What bugs me is I cant find any variation on this theme in nature.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I wonder how this Dr. Beaman fellow came to earn his degree without some type of versing in the importance of research to the medical community?

Dr. Beaman says, "Any anthropologist (any dentist, for that matter) will tell you that plant-eating mammals have wide flat teeth (a cow is a good example) and meat-eaters have sharp pointed teeth. The presence of "canine" teeth is a dead giveaway. The most vicious carnivores have them and their only purpose is to tear flesh."

Oh really?

Here is a scholarly article written by a doctor, examining the physiological differences between herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, and humans. Structures discussed include: facial muscles, jaw type, jaw joint location, jaw motion, major jaw muscles, mouth opening, teeth (including a discussion in incisors, canines, and molars), chewing, saliva, stomach (type, acidity, capacity), length of small intestine, colon, liver, kidney, and nails. Care to guess how humans compare?

http://www.vegsource.com/veg_faq/comparative.htm

I'm sure Dr. Beaman would be surprised to learn the position of the American Dietetic Association (http://www.eatright.org/adap1197.html) regarding vegetarianism:

"It is the position of The American Dietetic Association (ADA) that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, are nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases."

Furthermore,

Dr. Beaman questions the adequacy of a vegetarian diet for children. The American Dietetic Association states: "Well-planned vegan and lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy and lactation. Appropriately planned vegan and lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets satisfy nutrient needs of infants, children, and adolescents and promote normal growth."

Dr. Beaman says, regarding protein, "All humans require protein and, without meat, fish or dairy products, it would be hard to meet your requirements."

However, it's the position of the American Dietetic Association that "Plant sources of protein alone can provide adequate amounts of essential amino acids if a variety of plant foods are consumed and energy needs are met. Research suggests that complementary proteins do not need to be consumed at the same time.... Although vegetarian diets are lower in total protein ....protein intake in both lacto-ovo-vegetarians and vegans appears to be adequate ."

Can't wait to write this ill-informed doctor...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
About the canine teeth... Humans canine teeth are very small compared to other carnivorous and omnivorous animals. Also we have a longer digestive tract than meat eating animals. We are better designed for eating plants than meat although the human body is capable of digesting both.

·
Registered
478 Posts
About the eye placement thing - all primates have eyes placed on the front of their heads. Primates developed that trait as it made it easier to travel through trees, as the earliest primates were primarily arboreal... if I remember right anyway.. it's been a while since my Biological anthropology class..

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Molly

Can't wait to write this ill-informed doctor...
It looks like you already have the makings of a great letter!

I have a feeling this guy got his MD back in the 60's and hasn't cracked open a modern journal article in decades. His dust covered physician's desk reference probably still recommends thalidomide for morning sickness.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Not only is the article stupid, it's sexist too... all that "men eat meat " "he has exactly the right teeth"... us women must be excluded from his little meat-eating thing then.

·
Registered
178 Posts
oh my gosh, I find it absolutely absurb that he thinks that vegetarian kids arn't as smart as regular kids. I am a vegetarian, and yet somehow I managed to be a valedictorian last year when I graduated high school, I got a national mathematics award, and I was a national honors society life member. And when applying for scholarships I had to take a test for one that is regularly given to adults with college degrees and I became only the second person to get a high enough score to receive two scholarships for that place. Now either this means I am smart or everyone else in my school was incredibly stupid. ...somehow I see his theory lacking somewhere.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.