VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad tells me that he's going to a Humane Society event this week at a local seafood restaurant. He said they have it every year. Big buffet and auction for the Humane Society. I didn't say anything about it but this strikes me as very odd. Sure there are also school kids trying to "help the animals"* by putting on events at fast food restaurants but I am really surprised that the Humane Society is involved in something like this. I guess a seafood restaurant is technically the most humane food establishment in my town but the whole thing rubs me the wrong way.

* trying to improve the conditions at our animal shelter

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I should have done my homework first. I assumed that all local humane societies were chapters of the larger HSUS but apparently they are not affiliated so this is just my backwards ass town and has nothing to do with the HSUS. Carry on.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I went on a local animal shelter site to donate when they had a rescued over a hundred dogs from a hoarder. I saw they had an upcoming charitable event "Night at the Races" with horse racing logo. I e-mailed them as to the hypocrisy of using animal abuse to fund animal rescue and never got a reply.
I'll do it again.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedsky View Post

I guess I should have done my homework first. I assumed that all local humane societies were chapters of the larger HSUS but apparently they are not affiliated so this is just my backwards ass town and has nothing to do with the HSUS. Carry on.
Yea, I was going to bring that up

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Yes, HSUS is a national organization that doesn't have control over local shelters.

Sadly, many regional animal shelters still haven't "got" the idea of respecting all life, and serve up meat at their fundraisers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh the Irony.....

Have you got in contact with them and asked them to re-consider their venue in future?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claram View Post

Oh the Irony.....

Have you got in contact with them and asked them to re-consider their venue in future?
I found them on facebook. One of the main people involved in this group is an avid "sportsman" and has proudly displayed his "trophies" all over his facebook page. Honestly I don't think any message I sent to them would make a difference, although if I could find a way to word it without being condescending or preachy I might. Those aren't exactly strong points of mine.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

I found them on facebook. One of the main people involved in this group is an avid "sportsman" and has proudly displayed his "trophies" all over his facebook page. Honestly I don't think any message I sent to them would make a difference, although if I could find a way to word it without being condescending or preachy I might. Those aren't exactly strong points of mine.
Thats upsetting
the local HS is helping me big time with prop 1130.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:

The closest I'd try is to make an appeal to some of the other volunteers/supporters, not that guy. Maybe get some pro-farm animal literature like the MFA or VO booklets and pass a few out to passersby entering or leaving the event? If it's a public sidewalk it might be a good opportunity. I talked to a young lady recently who did a similar thing at her town's local humane shelter fundraiser which was sadly a barbecue in which pork was advertised, right next to posters calling for an end to dog and cat abuse. Disconnect, much?

Of course, the audiences we assume are most animal friendly sometimes are not. Many years of experience accumulated by other activists as well as decades of psychological study indicate that the prime audience for any progressive idea is college aged kids in general. That's why I would personally choose to expend my time and other resources trying to reach that specific audience. It makes sense to assume trying to micro-target groups like local animal groups would have the largest effect, but as your story illustrates that isn't always the case.

One of the most angry, defensive meat eaters I've met so far in my personal activism was a young lady who proudly talked about how she shut down puppy mills, and yet she called me a fascist when she realized my literature was in defense of animals like chickens and pigs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.