VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get PETA's newsletter in my email everyweek. Not because I believe in what they do but because I like to know whats going on. Anyways, There was this said in the newsletter this week :

Through PETAs education and urging, Bean Products Inc., a manufacturer of environmentally sustainable home products, has decided to remove the goose-feather pillows from its Web site. Says Bean Products, We work with many earth friendly resources including hemp, organic cotton, organic buckwheat, recycled fleece and we craft many earth and animal friendly products including our Veggie Bean body pillow made with Kapok, a natural tree seed fiber from the tropical rainforests and our Green Bean made with recycled polyfill from soda bottles. We are also replacing the horse hair used in our furniture making to hemp fiber for all of our BeanOrganic collection of furniture. Your support is appreciated. Remember that 15% of all sales go to PETA through its affiliate program!

What upset me was this part - "our Veggie Bean body pillow made with Kapok, a natural tree seed fiber from the tropical rainforests" - Our rainforests are messed with enough why is PETA messing with it more if they are so called enviromentally friendly? uuuuuuggghhhh.......

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PETA urged them to take out goose feathers in their products but now is promoting the use of some rainforest stuff instead :S

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Yeah, you should write to Bean Products and tell them you're upset that they're using tree seed fibers from tropical rain forests.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
are you sure these products you're upset about are bad for the environment? In looking at their website, I don't see anything to get upset about. I think it's great that they've stopped using animal products.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
"Kapok is a natural tree seed fiber from the tropical rainforests. The very important Kapok tree supports entire ecosystems of insects, birds, lizards, monkeys and an occasional human. This majestic tree periodically drops its large seed pods which are then gathered, opened and the fluffy silk-cotton like fiber is cleaned and used as a premium natural stuffing for pillows and cushions. This organic and ecologically harvested fiber is soft yet firm and must be experienced to fully understand it luxury."

everything on their website says they're pledging to only use products that have minimal impact on the environment. they have the "Green business ethics pledge" on their front page etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i think its great they arent using feathers anymore but what upsets me is that they are using something from the rainforest. i think the rainforest should be left alone comepletely. to get the seeds they will pollute the air with the vehicle they use to get there etc etc. they found recyclable stuff to use for pillows, so they should stick with just that and not put one foot in the rainforest.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I have no problem iwth them using osmehting from the rainforest, as long as they aren't damaging it. they raen't cutting down trees or anything, they're just gathering stuff that falls off trees. I see no harm in that.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Contrary to what many people living in industrialized nations think, there are people living in the rainforest who have a need, and yes, have a right to make a living. Until recently most of these people (non tribal folk) practiced many forms of unsustainable agriculture and/or lived in dire poverty.

Now there are many companies, who try to practice ethical manufacturing methods (I know, shocking!), that purchase sustainably produced raw ingredients from human rainforest dwellers. Things like Brazil nuts and kapok. This is a reasonable, useful solution for these people. They can make a living without destroying their home and new products can be produced that cause little to no harm to humans, non-human animals and general ecosystems.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If they are buying it from the rainforest people i can fully support that. my assumption was that they were going to "farm" it themselves and possibly ruin the rainforest in the process.

I dont care for sarcasim btw.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know assumptions are a witch but quizeen assumed too.

if the rainforest ppl are the ones gathering and selling, i have no problems with it. im just afraid some big company will bulldoze some trees down to get to the trees they want etc. stuff like that

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Even if they are building some roads into an area, if they are making money off of something sustainable, that will give someone reason to not just tear down the whole area to use for grazing. As long as people want to make money off the land, I prefer something sustainable to just plowing the whole thing.

Of course no roads at all is preferable, I am just not sure how we can come out with the best of our possible, realistic choices.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMHO i think it should be left alone completely since they found recyclable ways to stuff pillows. It sound like to me they are only going to stuff the pillow with the insides of the seeds only because its so soft . Its like saying Im wearing my silk shirt because it feels good or Im wearing this leather jacket because it feels good and lasts a long time. Ya know?

But if they HAVE to use these seeds then I would rather have a rainforest community do it in the least amount of damage to the rainforest so they can support themselves.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
No sarcasm was intended. Quite frankly, I am always shocked when any company does anything that isn't completely reprehensible. But, I think that one can make reasonable assumptions, such as the idea that a company that is basing their whole ethos on using environmentally friendly products etc. will not be bulldozing rainforest trees to obtain seed pods (it wouldn't make such great business sense from a Capitalist point of view either). It's important to still check on such things if it's important to you (like, if you wish to purchase something from the company in question), but I think that there is a large and obvious difference between the motives of a small, eco-friendly company and say, McDonald's.

I stand by my earlier comments that rain forest folks have a right to make a living. If selling seedpods provides that living, with minimal damage to the surrounding area, then so be it. What else should they do?

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Here's the company's response:

Hi Kelly, using kapok fiber is actually beneficial for the rainforests. The large and bountiful kapok tree supports impressive ecosystems of insects, birds, reptiles and mamals and is a true anchor for the rainforests. The trees seed during the year and drop lemon sized seed pods to the forest floor. These pods are harvested by local people, the pods contain wonder fiber which is like cotton and silk and is cleaned and baled for various uses such as stuffing for pillows,softballs, life preservers and even furniture.

No harm is done to the trees or the forests by the sustainable use of this wonderful resource. In fact, the trees become a resource for humans, providing employment and fiber which makes them useful long term and can prevent them from being cut down and used for plywood which unfortunately is occurring in many unmanaged rainforest areas.

Thanks for you concern and commitment to all life on our planet and the willingness to speak out for your concerns.

Sincerely,

Chuck Blumenthal

Bean Products, Inc.

1500 S. Western Ave, 4bn

Chicago, IL 60608

312.666.3600 ph. 312.666.3629 fax

web www.beanproducts.com

email [email protected]

·
Registered
811 Posts
Wow! I am DEFINITELY going to look into purchasing that. I have a down comforter that has finally bit the dust, and I won't purchase down ever again. I'll look into it and see what they have. Please, all, keep posting these sites.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.