VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know there's a lot of US users on here who probably won't even have heard of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, let alone seen his latest series, but I thought it was worth discussing. Hugh is a strange kind of TV chef, who makes his celebrity on the back of championing local, organic farming and especially encourages people to grow, raise and forage as much of their own produce as possible. I've always had a soft spot for him - although he's a committed carnivore, at least he's upfront and honest about it - trying to give his animals as good a quality of life as possible and then not shying away from getting involved in their gruesome end. I find that far more refreshing than the usual omnivore attitude of "ew, I don't want to know about that!"

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/p...er-cottage-veg

Anyway, given his attitude, I wasn't expecting much from his latest venture, which is to spend a summer season without eating meat, in the name of trying to encourage people to consume less meat for environmental reasons. Boy, was I ever surprised.

First he has not, so far, fallen into the obvious and annoying trap of calling himself a "vegetarian" even though he's doing it part-time. Second he seems to understand that not eating meat means avoiding all meat products rather than meat itself. But most importantly of all I love the way he's pitching the whole idea. Most vegetarian cookery shows on the TV make a big deal of it being "special" and "different", but Hugh seems to have carefully constructed his narrative to make it seem everyday and commonplace - something that just makes a viable, tasty, healthy and eco-friendly change of pace from eating meat. It's the perfect pitch to his target of trying to encourage omnivores to cut down their meat intake, rather than preaching to the converted.

I guess some vegetarians might be disappointed he's not being more full-on about it, but less meat being eaten has to be a good thing, right, even if it doesn't mean more vegetarians? Plus I loved the look of some of his recipes!

Cheers,
Matt

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Any effort to reduce consumption of animals and their by-products is a good thing. You never know, he might inspire some to embrace vegetarianism for good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My parents watch River Cottage. It's a good show, but it's only something I've watched if they're watching it - not on my own accord. However I'm definitely going to give this a watch, it sounds very interesting.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I haven't seen the show, but the recipe book that accompanies the series is excellent. And if lots of people buy it, it will convince him that there is interest in vegetarian food and recipes....it might eventually sink in to the other TV chefs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've never been a fan. Possibly cos he's posh and his "moral" approach to meat is simply not an option for the vast majority of people (in the UK) but he at no point (until now) provided any sort of alternative suggestions, which I think left people thinking along the lines of 'yea, it's awful the way animals are treated, but I can't afford my own small holding. Factory farmed it is then.. I'll just try not to think about it too much."

And although he doesn't seem to be calling himself vegetarian (though of course the press will, they love using terms they don't fully understand), he does appear to understand some of the theory behind it. I like what he said about organic, free range puppies. It's precisely the argument many people have been using for decades (centuries, in fact) and caused an uproar among 'animal-loving' meat eaters (which, no doubt the press labelled as AR activists, I can't think of a specific article where this happened, but I bet a couple of minutes Googling would provide me with a source).

So yea, good on you Hugh. I've got time for you now. Not enough to actually get a telly, but I might watch an episode online ;-)

·
Banned
841 Posts
I'm not familiar with him, but I am very happy to hear that someone is stepping up to the task! I've often thought that the world needs a high-profile veg*n chef, and have wondered about stepping up to the task myself if no one else will. But it is true that in order to succeed and to further our cause, he needs to be known as something besides "that veg*n chef". I've done an entrepreneurship class, and did my own pretend vegan business as a class project for it. One thing I found from my research is that veg*ns are a classic example of niche marketing, so in order to be successful and competitive with omni chefs, his concept needs to be marketed to everyone.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
We might give it another try. In the past he's usually put animal products in everything, and we gave up the new series when he started the first episode by frying up some bacon as a goodbye to all the meat he was going to have to forsake for a whole summer.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

We might give it another try. In the past he's usually put animal products in everything, and we gave up the new series when he started the first episode by frying up some bacon as a goodbye to all the meat he was going to have to forsake for a whole summer.
I have never watched any of his programmes, I was always put off by his use of meat in everything. But I like his attitude towards veg*n cooking - in the cookbook he says that he is not going to try to replace meat, but ignore it completely: instead creating vegetable dishes that can stand as a main meal, rather than the side dishes that many omnis consider them to be.

I haven't watched the first programme yet, but I have the series on record. It will be nice for a change to watch a cookery programme where you can actually cook every dish made, rather than have to come up with replacement ingredients (obviously if the dish has cheese or eggs than will still apply to vegans watching the show, but it's one hell of an improvement).

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Well I saw an advert about this & found it quite pleasing. He clearly states that 'we' eat far too much meat & it is not healthy for us - coming from him, a big meat eater this may actually get into other carnivore's heads finally, if they're hearing it from someone like him. People love his shows...at least it's getting something positive out there on tv for once.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
That is my hope as well. People won't listen to someone that could be suspected of bias (like a spokesperson for the Vegan Society, Vegetarian Society, AR groups etc), but if it comes from such a "nice man" as Hugh FW, then maybe it will get through.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I watched the first of these and enjoyed the episode. It's good to show lots of different sides to vegetarian cooking, including vegetarian cooking as part of an omni diet. As an omni I ate vegetarian meals regularly (I didn't realise this wasn't usual untill I was older) and never thought anything of it. I was then shocked to realise most people never eat vegetarian meals, and wouldn't even know where to start with them! (Reminds me of the vegetarian episode of masterchef... all these brilliant cooks completly stumped at the prospect of a meal without meat! madness!).

I like Hugh, but I don't usually watch his shows because I don't enjoy seeing all the shots of animals and then the dinner them become later. So this is good. I also saw he has a vegetarian cookery book out called veg everyday. I flicked through it and didn't want to buy it, but it's good to see anyway!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
How many episodes in is this on Channel 4/more 4?

I hate watching things off the Iplayers..I work on a computer all day...so watching tv on one is a nightmare!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I know that..I was wondering at a guess how many eps ive missed...channel 4 website always loads mega slow for me and it was easier to ask the people whove been watching.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Just had a look on 4od. There's only 2 episodes on there so the next one airing must be episode 3.

I might give them a watch too.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

I haven't seen the show, but the recipe book that accompanies the series is excellent. And if lots of people buy it, it will convince him that there is interest in vegetarian food and recipes....it might eventually sink in to the other TV chefs.
Is it full of eggs and cheese? How many of the recipes would you say are vegan or easily veagnisable?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts