VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My period is 3 weeks late. I have taken three HPT and all three came up negative. Seriously, I do NOT want to be pregnant. Has anyone had a false negative? With advanced preg tests, don't you think it would show up after being so late?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Have you been using bc? Many things can cause a period to be late. Diet, stress, hormonal imbalance, medication, weight gain/loss, exercise, change of schedule, etc.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You could visit a doctor and have a blood test. I don't think there is any room for errors in those. Personally, I've only ever taken 2 pregnancy tests...and they were both positive. So I've never had them not work.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If you are three weeks late, most likely your hormone levels would be high enough to register. Have you been under stress lately? Lost weight? Anything different?

Either way, you should get yourself to a doctor, first to be sure, and then to see what else might be behind it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stress and weight gain may be a factor. I hate to admit it, but maybe being in my mid 40's is also a factor. I really don't want the big "M" to be starting, but I really don't want a baby! Thank you for your responses. Not having insurance makes going to a doctor scary, but I guess that's what I have to do.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticSarcastic View Post

Stress and weight gain may be a factor. I hate to admit it, but maybe being in my mid 40's is also a factor. I really don't want the big "M" to be starting, but I really don't want a baby! Thank you for your responses. Not having insurance makes going to a doctor scary, but I guess that's what I have to do.
Is there a Planned Parenthood or health clinic/dept in your area that offers pregnancy tests and gyno exams?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

If you are three weeks late, most likely your hormone levels would be high enough to register. Have you been under stress lately? Lost weight? Anything different?

Either way, you should get yourself to a doctor, first to be sure, and then to see what else might be behind it.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticSarcastic View Post

Planned Parenthood bills on a sliding scale.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hope you got the result you wanted. I think at 3 weeks late a pregnancy test would be quite accurate. Mine was accurate from a few days before I even missed my period xx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hope this was resolved. In the future if you need to make sure ur hpt is accurate and not a false neg wait 19 after... The act.. To take it. Then you'll know for sure.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

a bit late for the op but i know someone personally who had a false negative while 5 weeks pregnant
Some of the ladies on I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant had false negatives many MONTHS into their pregnancies. Even doctor blood tests

·
Registered
237 Posts
My mom had false negatives on blood tests with my sister. They diagnosed the pregnancy at about 6-8 weeks via ultrasound. My sister is 25.

My cousins wife was 4-5 months pregnant when she was diagnosed by ultrasound. Home/blood tests were negative. She thought she might be pregnant because she was on weight watchers and she couldn't loose. They have a beautiful 5 year old daughter now.

Those are two unusual situations, mostly HPT's are very accurate. I'm sure the OP has an answer by now (Hopefully the one they wanted) but I think it's good information to have for any woman who might be in the same situation. (I know when I've been late and had a negative, I would be obsessed by the possibility of a false result.)

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's very unusual. My mother had a positive blood test with my brother and myself. My sister was the middle child. People always say these things vary from woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy. All I know is there was an issue with my mothers hormone levels as well- she was able to carry to term but had to be induced because her body did not go into labour naturally. I was more than three weeks late, for example. My mothers shortest pregnancy was actually with my sister who was only around a week and a half late. I often wonder if there was a link between her negative blood tests and her inability to go into labour...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts