VeggieBoards banner

Howdy from Arizona!

770 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Groovy chick 
#1 ·
Hey all. I'm a newbie to the boards, and I was invited over by someone from a game forum (the Sims 2, any fans here?), so hopefully she will stop by and say hi! =) We both live in AZ too, how cool is that?
Well, more like really hot.

I went vegetarian in the summer of 2004, when I was 19. I was working at Petsmart (not anymore, whoohoo! That place sucks) and was doing an online search on kitten care. I stumbled on to the Bonsai kitten website (shudder) and was horrified. Even when I found out if was fake, it was still extremely disturbing.

I wanted to find out more on the website, and it led me to peta.com. Somehow the video "Meet Your Meat" caught my attention, and even with my crappy slow computer with a horrible video card, I could still see enough to go vegetarian immediately.

I tried to go vegan as well, but I didn't have the willpower/knowledge of what to eat and what to avoid. So I was vegetarian until April 2005, in which I attended a PETA helping animals conference in Tempe, AZ. The first day we watched heart-wrenching video footage that I will never forget, but everyone was sooooo incredibly wonderful, and they served us fantastic vegan food. We got to meet Ingrid Newkirk, and I just have to say I love that lady.
All the campaign managers were great too. Bruce Friedrich and Alka Chandna were hilarious, Dan Shannon was very nice (and cute, meow!), and the other speakers were amazing as well. =) After that, I was vegan for life. I so hope they come back to Arizona!

There's usually something going on in AZ, whether it's Ringling Bros. protests, KFC protests, Covance protests (they're trying to establish themselves in Chandler, dontcha know?), or propositions that will help confined farmed animals. It's a happening place here. =D

Now that I've told my life's story, I hope we can all be friends and that I haven't scared you away.

Oh yeah, my name is Laura, by the way.
And your smilies rock!

See less See more
#5 ·
Hmmm... try to find where they keep the animals, and take pictures if you can. They had their shows at the America West Arena in our city, and kept the animals in the underground parking. =( In the middle of the summer in the desert! Stupid idiots. We should have called the humane society and had them try to go see if the animals were overheated or not.

Make sure you take lots of pictures when they do the elephant walk from the train station to wherever they're going. In fact, bring a video camera if you can. All the trainers have bullhooks, and if you're lucky, you can get some condemning video footage.

The Carson & Barnes circus protests were a lot more risky, because the circus actually hired "anti-protestors", and a couple of activists were assaulted. o.o I didn't experience anything like that with Ringling, but just to be safe, make sure no one is alone. There may be police officers at the scene, but they didn't bother us. Most of them were sympathetic since we were well behaved. And make sure to scope out the area beforehand so you know what's public property and what isn't. The security may ask you to move, but if it's public property, stand your ground. They tried to do that to me and my friend, and the police officer told them we didn't have to move.

Uh... I think that's all for now. =O Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.