VeggieBoards banner

Which options best resemble the reason why you first stopped eating animals?

• I still eat animals.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Never Liked Meat

• Animals Are My Friends

• Fear of Disease

• Environmental Reasons

• Health Reasons

• Animal Cruelty

• Spiritual Reasons

• Influence of Friends/Internet

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a (fantastic, I might add
) sauce out of Nate's Meatless Meatballs and pasta sauce, and had it over a bowl of orzo. My roommate (who gags at the idea of soy in his mouth (despite that it's in nearly everything
)) and a coworker were over and they were commenting on how much it looked like meat. They asked me,

"It doesn't bother you that that looks so much like meat?"

To which I replied, "I didn't become vegetarian because I didn't like meat!"

After a shared look of "huh?" they stepped over each other to be the first to ask me, "Then howcome you're vegetarian?"

At which point, I'm sure I had a
look on my face.
Surely, they must know there are other reasons to be vegetarian besides not liking meat!! The situation piqued my curiosity enough to create this poll. I'm wondering how many people out there actually stopped eating meat for the simple reason that they didn't like it.

Note: Some choices are similar to one another, so check all that apply.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I loved the taste of meat and ate it all the time -- there's no denying it.

I couldn't choose between "ethical reasons" and "spiritual reasons" on the poll -- for me it's the same thing.

As I've posted a million times, my bottom line is: I can live without it, therefore I will. Next is: When I can kill it myself, I'll eat it. Since I don't feel willing to do that, I won't.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
I voted for never liking meat. I did like meat at some point in my life, I'm sure, but I also liked G.I. Joe. Wait, I still like G.I. Joe.

Anywho, for me, it's really just that I'm not trying to eat another animal. Not for the animal's sake mind you, but because the thought is utterly disgusting. That it's good for animals, too, is a nice bonus!

·
Registered
119 Posts
i think its wrong to eat the flesh of another living creature. i mean, people are so grossed out when they hear people are eating dogs and cats in some foreign country but then in another place wouldnt they think its weird we're eating cows and pigs and chickens? i voted animal cruelty but also meat is so full of fat and cholesterol and i dont need that

plus its fun to think my dad will have to eat vegan with me if his cholesterol gets to high

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Hey Max, just a bit of nerd info; the GI Joe 'Torpedo" was said to be a strict vegetarian on his file-card. (yeah, um... we play with toys)

Anyway, I chose to be vegan for ethical reasons. I eat pretty healthy, but I do have days when all I want to eat is Soy Dream. Meat just seems disgusting to me, I don't even see it as food. I haven't eaten meat in 10 years (since I was 16) and have been vegan for 4. There's nothing I can't veganize (I'm so modset!).

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
how bout more than one.

I don't agree with the way meat (chickens, cows, pigs) are raised

I think it's environmentally unsound to raise meat for food.

It is part of my spiritual path

it's more healthy

I'm a passifist

I think that about covers it.

B

·
Registered
0 Posts
I first went veggie because of ethical reasons, and at the time, I absolutely loved meat. Steak was my favorite food growing up. However, once I learned about things, I knew I couldn't keep eating it and have peace of mind, so I chose peace of mind.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Well I chose ethical because I've always found spiritual to be a bit fuzzy and misleading. Misleading because it implies that I believe in a spirit, fuzzy because "spiritual" seems to bundle a lot of things together like ethics, reverence for life, appreciation of what cannot be put into words, with traditional religious-like beliefs.

Probably all of the above though. I had an experience that was a bit of a revelation that made meat instantly unappetizing to me.

Also I would say a little bit of all of the above were factors.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

I couldn't choose between "ethical reasons" and "spiritual reasons" on the poll -- for me it's the same thing.

You can choose more than one answer for this poll, since it has checkboxes rather than radio buttons. I checked both of your choices plus a couple more because they all fit equally.

The one that didn't appear in the poll, but was also a compelling reason -- nightmares about animals being tortured.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
All of the poll selections apply to me excpet for the one where it says "I never liked meat". I loved the taste of meat - though, now that I've been veggie for awhile it's a little nauseating to me.

Especially chicken meat.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Ethical reasons

Animal cruelty

Animals are my friends

The side effects which I like are

Environmental reasons

Health reasons

I can't put spiritual reasons as it's not a requirement of my spirituality to be veg*n, although it does complement it. I found my spirituality long before giving up meat and dairy....

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
My initial reasons for going veg were for health & environmental reasons. The reasons I've stuck with it so long would encompass everything up there except the "spiritual reasons" option. (And, obviously, the I-Still-Eat-Animals option).

·
Registered
142 Posts
because meat is dead animal...

my original reason for wanting to become veg was because i didn't want to eat animals, plain and simple. it took me a while to actually stop eating animals though, mainly because i thought it would be "too hard."

·
Registered
637 Posts
Basically, I woke up. I realized that:

1. I was eating a dead animal (I suppose I didn't comprehend that before
)

2. Eating meat is like playing Russian Roulette (You just never know if you're going to end up eating meat infected with Mad Cow Disease, E-Coli, ect)

3. I was helping to destroy the environment

4. I've always claimed to love animals, yet I was eating them on a daily basis, therefore, I was a hypocrite.

5. That I never really liked meat, but ate it because I thought I was supposed to like it.

That pretty much sums it up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts