VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I am booked on a cruise this coming weekend and contacted the travel company weeks in advance to ask about Vegan cuisine on board. I was assured most confidently that 'every' kind of diet was catered for on board due to the diversity of passengers from all cultures. I have remained fairly confident up until today when I remembered that the same advice was given to me when I booked a hotel for myself and my partner last year. And what a fiasco that turned out to be!!

Now wondering ... if my prospects of being offered wholesome and appertizing food are bleak and I will just be offered a continual diet of salad and...um salad.

Anyone have any experience of holiday cruising as a Veggie or a Vegan?

Thanks

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Most cruises have buffets, so they usually at least have a bread/fruit/granola/juice section from which you can eat. And usually things like baked potatoes etc are seperate from other things and have toppings that are seperately attainable so you should be able to eat at least something. Also usually there is at least one asian stir fry section where you can ask to leave off the meat/fish and a soup section. So it might not be ideal, but I think you'll be ok.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippy View Post

I have remained fairly confident up until today when I remembered that the same advice was given to me when I booked a hotel for myself and my partner last year. And what a fiasco that turned out to be!!
Lol, aye!

The pre booked 4 star vegan cuisine, to my memory, consisted of:

1. An opportunity to rummage the kitchen once the chef finaly turned up ...

2. Directions to the local curry house ..

I wouldn't have minded if it hadn't been for Hippy insisting that I honoured my promise to 'behave'.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I have not been on a cruise in over 10 years so it may be much better now. But I've gone on 2 in the past with 2 different cruise lines and while they had vegetarian down pat, vegan was a little tougher, if you wanted actual filling food and not just baked potatoes, steamed veggies and salad. If it was a day or two trip, fine, but I cannot live on that for a week. I was all excited one time to find tofu in some soup, only to learn the soup was chicken-broth based. But I also didn't check into the food thing myself. Both times I let someone else going take care of it and they weren't vegan, so I don't know how detailed they got. Most omnis think vegans live on carrots and lettuce anyway so they probably thought the menu was fine for me.

My advice is contact the cruise line yourself and give them details on what you want. Most cruise lines will jump through hoops to satisfy people because they want them back as regulars. But just in case, sneak along some nonperishable, protein-packed foods. If I can ever go again, it won't be without my huge jar of raw almonds and a few Clif bars, just in case. Many of them say no food from outside allowed but if you get stupid enough, they will cave. One of the people I went with first time around was a Pepsi fiend and I must start my day with Mountain Dew or people don't like me. It turns out the ship only had Coke products. First stop we made, both of us found our desired beverage and after she was done with them, they let us bring it back on.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I wouldn't even think about going on a non-vegan cruise because there just wouldn't be enough variety of food to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Google is my friend.
Some friends and myself were seriously thinking about doing Holistic Holiday, not this coming cruise in March but the next. I don't think we'd have much in common with most of the other passengers in all honesty, but we thought the experience might be fun anyway.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice..unfortunately I did not get chance to answer before I actually sailed!!! On board internet browsing was a complete rip off so I went cold turkey on Veggieboards for a week.

Well I am now home..fantastic holiday. I am though strangley half a stone lighter whereas everyone else is moaning about the extra weight they have piled on..which should give you some indication of how successfully I was catered for aboard.

I had asked specifically for a Vegan menu to be provided and was told repeatedly that it would be no problem at all due to the diversity of cultures sailing and the associated dietary requests. On the table behind us at dinner this apparently was the case as a group of Korean passengers were being supplied with food completely different from the main menu including sushi which never appeared anywhere on the ships menu at any other time.

I was met with puzzled shrugs and points to the salad bar when I asked where my special menu was. Admittedly the salad bar was well stocked but as my only other option was bread and fruit it all got a big tedious as this was my menu for lunch, dinner and midnight buffet. Breakfast was ...well the same really with the addition of some heavenly baked tomatoes.

One wonderful lunchtime they wheeled out a vegtable curry and a chickpea curry but despite desperate attempts to request this again it was never provided!!!

I bulked up on protein from the free nuts provided at the bar ordering bowl fulls at a time . Eventually I too ignored all the warnings about bringing food onto the ship and brought bags of nuts from a market in the port. But the Italian and Spanish ports offered nothing else appropriate to bring on board.

The worse meals were the 'special ' meals such as gala night and captains night which were marked by a set menu which heavily featured exotic meat and fish dishes allowing little room for deviation. I thought I would be in good company as two other ladies on the table announced they too were Veggie only to later tuck into Sword fish and announce 'oh yes we are Vegetarian but we do eat fish'.

Luckily I had a very sympathetic waiter who went out of his way to guide me as to what I could and could not eat and provide me with several safe options such as the vegtable cous cous in bulk and skip the Vension and gineau fowl!!!!

Overall I think Vegetarians would have no major problems with the menus but Vegans need to be prepared to accept that despite what they are promised they will not be provided with a complete diet and may need to be prepared to supplement their diet by buying outside the ship...or choosing an alternative type of holiday.

I survived a week without any real hardship but considering the cost of the holiday I felt cheated as the high standard of food enjoyed by my family added to the pleasure of their holiday and if the catering was of that standard then at least a cursory attempt at providing me with something should have been possibe????

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i'm glad you enjoyed your holiday despite the food issues. which cruise line did you go on? it's always good to know which ones don't bother accommodating all their customers.
you should reply to the people who assured you there would be proper food and tell them you were not provided with appropriate options and are very disappointed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i'm glad you enjoyed your holiday despite the food issues. which cruise line did you go on? it's always good to know which ones don't bother accommodating all their customers.
you should reply to the people who assured you there would be proper food and tell them you were not provided with appropriate options and are very disappointed.
It was Costa cruises..they are an Italian company.

Yes I intend to contact them this week and address this issue with them . I am not happy . If they had been honest with me from the outset I would at least of had the opportunity to decide if I wished to travel with them or not based on that knowledge. In all honesty I would have probably still have done so as the cruise was a gift and already booked for me and my family and to do otherwise would have appeared churlish or rude. But..at least I would have been prepared and made provision accordingly and not feel hoodwinked. It spoilt my experience and as a result spoilt the pleasure for the person who had treated me to the cruise .

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have been on a few cruises, none since I've gone vegetarian. I would think the selections would be pretty slim for Vegans. People generally go on cruises to further ruin their pancreas and stretch their colons. Since I've gone vegetarian I wont be quite as hot to go on a cruise, unless the destination is one I really want to go to. I have cruised the Mediterranean three times. Great ports of call there, also in the Caribbean.

A couple of years ago I went on a Med cruise. About half the ship was people from the UK. We had "High Tea" every day. Now, that was awesome. Lots of little vegetarian friendly snacks and Earl Grey tea. Unlike people from the UK I piled my little plate high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a 30 or so year vegan and am very strict. I'd heard from other vegans that I would have no problems on a cruise. A few days ago, we returned from a Caribbean cruise aboard a Royal Caribbean ship. There were no food problems as had been suggested, just some disappointments. The first thing that I did when I got on board was to go to the main dining hall. I spoke with a maitre d' and we discussed my needs. She told me who to speak with and what to look for. Essentially I was told not to trust anything on the buffets or menus and that they would prepare everything special for me. As it turned out, I was assured that the oatmeal, grits, and two kinds of fried potatoes met my needs for breakfast. For lunch and dinner, special meals were prepared for me which were usually Indian food as my head waiter was Indian and I love Indian food. The disappointment is more philosophical. I would expect by now that a vegan meal (without any cross contamination) would be readily available but it was not. I've been researching vegan cruises since I came home (that's how I found this site) and from what I'm seeing it seems that Celebrity cruises are the most vegan friendly of the major lines. I would like to stress however, that the Royal Caribbean staff was friendly and helpful beyond belief.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.