VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to drink healthier, as I use to drink a ton of soda and no longer drink that. But I find myself drinking lots of sweat ice tea now, so is that any better? So, what's the stats on different drinks?

I'm under 21, so I don't care about alcoholic drinks, I just wonder what i should be drinking/ not drinking. Right now, I manely drink: soy milk, rice milk,water, juice (mostly organic apple), sweat ice tea

I cut soda because I know it's unhealthy, though I'm not sher how it is (other then the sugar and artificial flavores/colors), I just new that I was drinking to much of it when I started to have one bottol in the morning and one can at night, plus sometimes one during the day.

11,550 Posts
if you're drinking iced tea thats premade, or one that comes as a dry powder/granules, and that you mix with water, (like a nestea or lipton one, for example) then its probably loaded with just as much sugar (and perhaps as many colours and flavours) as soda is.

perhaps making your own tea from black or green teabags, then adding lemon, and a sweetener like agave nectar, and chilling it in a big jug in the fridge might be a healthier choice? i don't drink tea, so i wouldn't know much about the best way to do this, but i'm sure its not too hard to do.

you might want to look into the tannin and caffeine is in tea, also, and see if you're bothered about that- i think tea is a diuretic too, thinking about it. health concerns about these things seem to be countered by antioxidant, flavonoid and cancer fighting claims... so yeah... i'd be more concerned about the sugar and artificial [email protected] content, to start with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hola!

That is a good point about the tannins in tea. I've read that they can interfere with your iron absorption. I always try to avoid drinking (non-herbal) tea for about an hour before and after a meal, especially if I'm eating foods that I rely on for iron.

I would definitely check on the sugar content of your iced tea. Making it yourself is a great idea - that way you could use decaf tea bags and natural sweeteners like agave (which, by the way, is amazing!) maple syrup, or stevia.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am aware that black tea can cause anemia (at least), but the only time that I have ever had a problem with iron is when I was donating blood. However, I am not allowed to donate blood for about 10 more months b/c of a food borne illness outbreak at one of the HFS I shop at (
) so I'm not really worried about it at the moment. I use to get my iron checked every couple of months, last time I got it checked was when I gave blood and it was okay, other then the tea intake, I see no reason for it to be low right now.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i drink water and rooibos chai iced tea (i make a pot every two days). i'll also drink juice.

my intake is typically: lots of water (all day); 1 8oz of rooibos chai (mid day); sparkling mineral water (2x week--no additives just carbonation and water); juice cut with water (1-2x per week).

usually and mostly i drink water.
i'm drinking water now.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer89 View Post

I am aware that black tea can cause anemia (at least), but the only time that I have ever had a problem with iron is when I was donating blood. ....
I wouldn't say that black tea is causing anemia, as lack of sugar doesn't make the coffee taste bitter. As you donate blood it seems that you do well with your iron intake. It shouldn't keep you away from the tea you like. If your iron store doesn't build up, then look that you don't dring your tea around meals (an hour before and after is a safe margin).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Drink water as your primary source of fluid and supplement with soy or rice milk (2 cups per day).

Is the juice you're speaking of store bought or freshly made at home? I'm asking because there can be a huge difference in nutrient density between the two. Store bought juices often contain artificial colors and sweeteners and are fortified with vitamins and minerals, making the nutrients less absorbable in your body. Add to this the fact that you're drinking your calories (which means that you aren't getting full from them which makes it easier to drink even more, and you start to see why drinking juice isn't necessarily a good idea as a main source of fluids.

Sweet tea is even worse, because you really aren't getting any nutrients from it. You're basically drinking tannins and sugar. Have you considered drinking unsweetened tea, instead? Then you can still get your antioxidents without all of the sugar/excess calories.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sterlla26, the juices that I drink are organic, (90% of the time) their are no artificial colors or sweetners. There are, however, added vitamins. How would this make the other vitamins in the juice that arn't added harder to digest?

I've tried unsweetend ice tea before, and it tasted like dirt (maybe it was just made bad?). I have had store bought sweat tea with organic sugar in it, not that it makes it much better, but at least a smuge. How would home made with agabe (I know I spelt that wrong, it's that honey alternative that you get in plastic bottles at the HFS) nector be? I wouldn't mind all to much quitting sweat tea, I guess, but when I go out to eat I like to get it, b/c I'd rather have flavor in my liqued. I do drink water, not as much as I should, but I figure that I'm getting a lot from my juice. Maybe spritzer water with juice added would do the trick? I havn't had that in a while, so I don't know if I like it.

Okay, I"m just rambling now... thanks for all the tips guys, keep 'em coming! (Please!)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer89 View Post

I'm trying to drink healthier, as I use to drink a ton of soda and no longer drink that. But I find myself drinking lots of sweat ice tea now, so is that any better? So, what's the stats on different drinks?

I'm under 21, so I don't care about alcoholic drinks, I just wonder what i should be drinking/ not drinking. Right now, I manely drink: soy milk, rice milk,water, juice (mostly organic apple), sweat ice tea

I cut soda because I know it's unhealthy, though I'm not sher how it is (other then the sugar and artificial flavores/colors), I just new that I was drinking to much of it when I started to have one bottol in the morning and one can at night, plus sometimes one during the day.
Depends on what kind of 'sweat' ice tea it is. ( he-he). Is it the canned stuff? If so, look at the ingredients on here. Lots of those canned ones have corn syrup etc...not very healthy. I agree with Jessica - just drink water. (filtered if you can).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.