VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the biggest egg-replacement issue I've been having... is there any way to vegan-ise casseroles that require eggs for binding? With dairy it's easy (sub soymilk, soy cheese) but eggs are way trickier.

Things like courgette bake etc.. where you mix veggies, flour, cheese and eggs and bake it. (I'll write out a few recipes if it'll help.) Baking without eggs is no problem, but when eggs are needed to hold everything together without ending up like a big vegetable-filled cookie... it gets tricky, ha.

Any way to do this?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Up to how many eggs do you think you could get away with using that for? What sort of proportions do you use?

Mm, and do you add anything extra to keep it tasting decent?

Thanks for the speedy reply!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i use 1/4 - 1/2 cup whipped tofu to replace each egg in an egg-heavy recipe. and no, you don't really taste the tofu because tofu is very bland. it takes up the flavour of whatever else you're cooking it in.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Pretty much the same as Kreeli

For each egg, I use about 3 Tbsp. (which is the same as 1/4 cup, I realize) blended silken tofu and about a teaspoon of cornstarch for casserole type-thingys.

I like jeezy's idea of the veg. bullion for a little flavor though eggs don't have a LOT of flavor really do they? (can't remember)

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Oh! :lightbulb: I remember now! When I first went vegan I'd use a bit of India Black Salt when I made scrambled tofu to make it taste more eggy.

I haven't used it in ages, I prefer the NON-eggy taste of my scramble now but it would definitely work if that's what you wanted...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I like jeezy's idea of the veg. bullion for a little flavor though eggs don't have a LOT of flavor really do they? (can't remember)
It's not so much that I am using it to recreate the taste of eggs so much as to make it taste like something. I just use it as a "binding" dealy in a casserole recipe and an artichoke pie recipe. I wouldn't try to make an omelette out of it or anything, you know?

I always thought eggs had a very bland metallic taste to them.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing... but more along the Cream of ____ soups area. Are there vegan cream of ___ soups??

I used to make a kick-a$$ broccoli casserole with rice and cheese (would have to try Vegan Gormet for this since it needs to melt), but I needed cream of celery, cream of mushroom, and cream of potato soup.

Any thoughts there? (I'll have to try these that you all are mentioning! mmmm, caserole!)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, everyone! I'm definitely going to try to pick up some of this 'black salt'.

For cream of ___ soups, I use blended silken tofu or (more often) plain rice milk or unsweetened soymilk, in the same proportions as the recipe called for of dairy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts