VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, ive been a vegetarian for 21 days now, and i still havent told my parents. One time vegetarianism was brought up and my dad said " any kid of mine that doesnt eat meat, wont be my kid anymore". So yep, hes pretty non accepting of non meat eaters. So what do i do? Just dont eat it like i have been and hope they dont notice, or wait to i go to college (less than a year) and then tell them? Any help would be great. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow I can't believe your dad said that. Did he sound serious ? If you are still at home how are you managing to be vegetarian without them knowing?

As to your question: just make sure you are well educated about vegetarian nutrition, the health negatives of a meat and dairy based diet, and the reasons why you are vegetarian, so you can confidently answer any questions or concerns that are thrown your way, when you finally tell them. Although I have to admit if my dad said that to me I would probably wait until I had left home before I told them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he was 100% serious. My mom will cook a meat usually for dinner. I'll cut up some veggies and make a salad to go with it .Then my parents eat in the living room, and my brother and i eat at the table. So i can mostly just eat whatever without them noticing. When they ( mostly my mom who notices) notice i just say, i had a big lunch, not hungry, too cooked, not cooked enough, etc. Breakfast and lunch aren't the hard part, its the dinner. And i researched the health benefits of going vegetarian and what vitamins and nutrients i might be lacking. I might just have to go 99% of the time veg until i go to college. Im trying though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It sounds like you already plan on hiding it. I can understand, especially if you think they would be that opposed to it.

But on the other hand, you are their child and they will always love you. I sincerely doubt that they would kick you out of the house for choosing to be a vegetarian. And if they were the type to say something like "my house my rules" you could always just wait until you're on your own.

But I don't know....I get made fun of a lot in my family for being a vegetarian. But sharing it with my family has caused my sister to become a vegetarian, and my mom has started getting interested. And my mom in particular could use the health benefits.

I guess what I mean is, its like coming out. You don't really know how they'll react unless you say it. They might reject you, but they don't sound like mean parents.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smemae94 View Post

my dad said " any kid of mine that doesnt eat meat, wont be my kid anymore".
That seems pretty harsh but sometimes people are just fearful of things they don't understand. You need to sit down with him and find out why he feels so against you becoming vegetarian. Be ready with answers about why you want to do this, and show you've been researching how to get the right nutrition. If he sees that you've really thought about it maybe he'll come round. I wouldn't keep secrets, in my experience that only makes the situation worse when you get found out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my parents are very agains it too, specially my dad, i told him over lunch, when he asked why my mom didnt serve the chiken to me like the rest of them, and i said, because im going vegetarian, and he gave me this bad look like if i was loosing it, and said, that is why we should not talk bad about other ppl (he sometimes make fun of ppl who care too much about animals)...
the other day he made me an "arepa" with tuna, and i didnt eat it, i told him that was fish, and he looked very dissapointed.. but now hes coming arround, sometimes just make jokes, but not too bad ones.. =)

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
I think sometimes parents can be comforted thinking "it's just a phase" when their teenage offspring declares themselves vegetarians or vegans. While this is annoying, it can also help them accept it for the time being since they will surely "grow out of it" eventually. As time goes by they may come to realise vegetarianism isn't so bad after all.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

I think sometimes parents can be comforted thinking "it's just a phase" when their teenage offspring declares themselves vegetarians or vegans. While this is annoying, it can also help them accept it for the time being since they will surely "grow out of it" eventually. As time goes by they may come to realise vegetarianism isn't so bad after all.
Yup a lot of parents like to do that with this, gayness, and mental illnesses.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Same thing happens to me all the time.

The only way around it for me is to say i dont feel like eating meat when ever they offer it to me. I say sometimes i just dont feel like it or im not feeling 100% and wont to stick to things with less fat like vegetables or what ever. I shouldnt have to but thats the cold hard reality of dealing with people. People are generally speaking a bunch of ignorant savages (there are acceptions to this but not many).

Some people NEVER learn and will NEVER be accepting. You can either abandon them or lie to them thats all there is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.