VeggieBoards banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my brothers still tease me for being vegetarian (it's been a year you'd think they'd stop) and I want to know how to respond to these:

Planets are alive too/have feelings too:

Everything is made from animals:

You're not helping the animals:

Animals are meant to kill and eat:

Vegetarians are prone to depression:

You'll die before you're even 40:

You're eating the animals food:

And those are only some of them... But yeah if you could help that'd be great :D

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
So my brothers still tease me for being vegetarian (it's been a year you'd think they'd stop) and I want to know how to respond to these:

Planets are alive too/have feelings too:

And those are only some of them... But yeah if you could help that'd be great :D
Plants have feelings, too. Reply: Show me the article where it says that and I'll agree with you.

Everything is made from animals. Reply: Hold up a carrot (or apple or other fruit or vegetable and say, "Are you sure this is made from animals?"

You're not helping the animals. Reply: "Yes, I am. I'm keeping them alive. What are you doing to the animals?"

Animals are meant to kill and eat. Reply:"Yes, it's nature's way to help the population without human intervention."

Vegetarians are prone to depression. Reply:"So are Omnivores." http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/diet-recovery

You'll die before you're even 40. Reply:"Why do you say that? Is there a bus barreling down on me? (Look around wildly while saying this).

You're eating the animals food. Reply:"Read the ingredients in the next package of whatever you are eating and tell me whose food you're eating."

NOTE: Certain smart @$, uh, alec people (like me) probably shouldn't be responding to things like this...:rolleyes:

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
Plants are alive too/have feelings too:
Response: Really? Does that mean that chopping up a live dog isn't any worse than chopping up a live watermelon? Show me!

Response: Ditto on Purp's response

Response: When people eat less meat, farmers respond by breeding and slaughtering fewer animals. Supply and demand.

Response: Rhinoceroses, elephants, horses, and other strong animals are completely vegan. And no, these animals don't have 4 stomachs - you're thinking of cows.

Response: If vegetarians are the only people who have depression, then why are there depression medication commercials all over TV and magazines?

Response: Kaiser Permanente, one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States, has published its own Plant-Based Nutrition guide (entirely vegan): http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-...ams/Education-libraries/Plant-Based-Diet.aspx

Response: Humans are animals, you idiot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human . Anyway, I don't see any starving cows and pigs around, do you?

Purp's responses are really good - they've got the right attitude and punch, which is what a good fight needs.

Siblings seem to enjoy torturing each other. Your brothers should go join the trolls on the Yahoo news comments.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Just try not to let it bother you when they tease you. Try to see the humor. And you can always play Defensive Omnivore Bingo. ;) Many meateaters are defensive about eating animals, but don't want to even admit to themselves how disgusting it is to eat animals that were killed for them.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If it were me?

Planets are alive too/have feelings too: I hate plants...I want to take every opportunity I can to torture them

Everything is made from animals: Yes, everything containing animals is made from animals.

You're not helping the animals: Maybe, but I am not killing them anymore either.

Animals are meant to kill and eat: Nothing is meant to do anything. We all just do.

Vegetarians are prone to depression: Interesting, where did you hear this?

You'll die before you're even 40: Why?

You're eating the animals food: Screw animals, let them find their own food.

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
If it were me?

Planets are alive too/have feelings too: I hate plants...I want to take every opportunity I can to torture them

Everything is made from animals: Yes, everything containing animals is made from animals.

You're not helping the animals: Maybe, but I am not killing them anymore either.

Animals are meant to kill and eat: Nothing is meant to do anything. We all just do.

Vegetarians are prone to depression: Interesting, where did you hear this?

You'll die before you're even 40: Why?

You're eating the animals food: Screw animals, let them find their own food.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some helpful responses

Planets are alive too/have feelings too: Plants are not what vegans eat. We eat their produce. We are in a mutually beneficial relationship with plants. The part we eat contains the seed - an apple tree cannot grow in the shade of its mother. By eating the produce of plants we help them to propagate by spreading the seed. Even if we don't pick the produce, the plant drops it to the ground anyways. But the vine, tree, bush, stalk all survive and live and these things we do not eat. So if plants have feelings then it is clear how they feel - eat our produce to help us propagate and in return we nourish you. Nature has designed it this way.

Everything is made from animals: Everything is made from the elements and a continual recycling of these. Not animals. Elements.

You're not helping the animals: When someone does not rape others they are not helping rape victims. Is this justification to rape?

Animals are meant to kill and eat: Then why do you not kill and eat your dog?

Vegetarians are prone to depression: No one I know is depressed.

You'll die before you're even 40: I'm 47 and my mother is 65. We aren't dead. My son is 23 - also vegan. He is 6 feet 2 inches, 190 pounds.

You're eating the animals food: The food that grows is for all who live. And there is enough for everyone. The food that comes out of the ground is not just for animals. it is for us all.

And those are only some of them... But yeah if you could help that'd be great :D[/QUOTE]
http://crueltyfreeeating.com/2013/05/04/myth-vegans-murder-plants-which-makes-them-hypocrites/

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
If you're for well aged women , go long with Mimi Kirk!
74 years young!
Bob Barker - 91

and don't forget all the vegan athletes and power lifters

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts

Never had any illness (or depression) that had to do with being vegetarian my whole life long (60 years)

Reactions: Purp
1 - 13 of 13 Posts