VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some whole bamboo shoots from the Oriental market recently. They look an asparagus leaf multiplied by about 10 and brown colored.<br><br><br><br>
If the bamboo shoots came with a root, cut the root off. Mine already had the root cut off. I have no clue how hard or easy this is.<br><br><br><br>
They have very tough brown outer leaves that you must peel off. The leaves have a really neat texture to them and are a little shiny, but much too tough to eat. When you peel them away, the leaves on the inside are up further from the center and need to be peeled away too. Keep peeling away the leaves as you get towards the center. When you're done peeling away all the leaves, you will be left with this white, layered, conish thing.<br><br><br><br>
Cut the bamboo into 1/8 inch slices from the top of the cone to where the root was. It's not advisable to eat bamboo shoots raw. They tend to be bitter and there's a very small chance of their containing cyanocins (?). Cooked bamboo is supposed to be safe to eat.<br><br><br><br>
Prepare a pot of boiling water and boil the bamboo uncovered for 20 minutes. You're trying to boil the bitterness away and let it escape with the steam. Once you're done, taste the bamboo to see if the bitterness is gone. Most likely it will be. If not, boil some fresh water and boil the bamboo for a little while longer. Taste periodically to see if the bitterness is gone.<br><br><br><br>
Once you've completed this process, the bamboo is ready to use.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
OK, so, cool, what's the bamboo for? Recipes man, recipes...<br><br><br><br><br><br>
(or step-by-step with pictures...yeah...that'd be cool too)

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next time. In this case, I am using the bamboo in the sour soup in place of the bac ha because I want to feed a group of people and before Nigel replied to my other post, I had no idea <i>why</i> it would give someone a tummy ache.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts