VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am currently looking into my career options and find myself very critical of pet stores and often go in with high expectations. I feel that I could do a good job of owning a pet store, working of course in relation with local animal shelters and never promoting the breeding or importing of animals.

Does anybody have any information on how to go about doing this?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Baseically you're looking at starting a business. One which i'm guessing with fairly high start up costs. Personally i'd start by getting all your ideas down on paper, planning exactly what you want to do, what you want to achieve, what sort of services you want to offer, what you want to stock (just animals or do you want to sell ethical animal toys? food?), how you plan to go about working this etc. Once you have a rouch plan and feel your idea will actually work, you need to research it from a more business perspective and begin to draw up a more detailed business plan including more financial data, cash flow forecasts etc. Before you begin to draw up a detailed business plan, google writing a business plan or goto your local library and browse the many business start up books. Once you have a fool proof business plan which actually makes your idea seem realistic and viable, unless you're rich and have enough money to start up you'll need to look for capital to make your idea a reality, which i doubt will be that easy especially as most investors (banks, business angels, random other people) will want you to be investing a resonable amount too.

There are many organisations that do help with business start ups especially for young people, they offer mentors and often grants too, it's worth looking up whats avalible in your area.

Personally i think you have an interesting idea that in the right area and well throught through could work. Though one thing i'd like to bring up and one of the reasons i have issues with pet stores is not all about how animals are treated in them it's more to do with where the animals end up. Anyone can walk into a pet store and buy an animal reguardless of how they may treat it or what kind of envioment it may be going 'home' to. Animal shelters seem to check people and their homes out before letting animals go. Would you sell animals to everyone? Or will you check people out? are you intending to sell only rescued animals? How will this differ from animal shelters?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts