VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister is a big / huge meat eater, she even had a cow and fed him up and put him in the freezer. Anyways, now she has really gotten into dog rescue and I think that is great, but how can she care so much about dogs and not give a thought to the other animals she is eating.

How can I discuss this with her nicely? We are not close geographically, so would have to be an online conversation.

·
Registered
814 Posts
You could send her an email telling her how great her dog rescue work is and how proud of her you are. Add in a few other non dog rescue or meat eating comments before writing that you though she might appreciate an article you read and link it to one of the many good online articles about how some can love one animal but eat another. Then leave it for a week or so before following up if you haven't already heard from her.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
You can tell your Sister, most people, whatever you like. They don't always listen.

Much more fun is this ...

Think of the right questions to ask your sister and see if she finds it just as easy not to listen herself.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Actualy, here we go ...

Your sister loves dogs?

1. Find an instance where dogs are being treated, pretty much, as she treats cows.

2. Tell your sister you are greatly disturbed by this and want her help with how to speak against it.

3. Whatever she comes up with ask her summat along the lines of; "How do I explain to these people that is wrong to do to dogs but ok to do to chickens and pigs and sheep and cows?"

If you wanted to be real sneaky you could solicit 'help' from your Sister and post what she says here for suggestions as to what you might reply before getting back to her.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I like Clueless Git's ideas.

However, I do think you should have the conversation over the phone, rather than through text on the internet. It will sound much more sincere.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Telling your sis that she's a hypocrite no matter how nicely you do it is just going to strain your relationship. Be nothing but positive about her dog rescue work, if she cares that much for dogs she may eventually come around to other animals.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post

I like Clueless Git's ideas.
This is not, as yet, against any written forum rules ... Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Telling your sis that she's a hypocrite no matter how nicely you do it is just going to strain your relationship. Be nothing but positive about her dog rescue work, if she cares that much for dogs she may eventually come around to other animals.
Not entirely dissimilar to having been very positive about Hitlers good work on behalf of the German people and hoping that he may have eventualy come around to caring about the Gypsies and the Jews.

Or you could send in the planes ...

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
You could simply say, "I'm so proud of you for helping animals. I know dog rescue is hard work. Want to know an easy way to help hundreds if animals? It's funny really because it's so simple and easy. Just go vegan. I'm going to mail you some free nutritional information about living a truly cruelty-free lifestyle." then send her a vegan starter kit.

At the same time, sign her up for a subscription to a veg magazine and/or the newsletter for a good vegan organization like Mercy For Animals. She won't change overnight but getting a regular stream of Veg information in the mail might sway her a little bit.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

At the same time, sign her up for a subscription to a veg magazine and/or the newsletter for a good vegan organization like Mercy For Animals. She won't change overnight but getting a regular stream of Veg information in the mail might sway her a little bit.
Subscribing her to a veg magazine without her wanting it would be kind of unwelcome... and potentially offensive.

I would be pretty angry if someone signed me up for "meat daily" (made that up) without my consent, because they thought I should be an omnivore,

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
@ Elaine - Or put a big wall between them stymieing any further discussion between them.

I would at least ask your sis if she would be open to getting information on veganism, if not leave it be for the time being.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Some people make almost the same distingtion for dogs, as they do for humans.
I have a relative who loves dogs and loves steak more than anyone else I've ever known.
He happily shares his steak with his dogs, who he clearly sees as true friends.

He said he dislikes most vegetables and would never consider going vegetarian.
He wouldn't even try my red beans and rice. He simply said, "I don't like beans."

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I would recommend a more harsh strategy. It has its drawbacks but I have a long list of former hypocritical meat-eaters who testify to its power. Yes, I'm talking about the old fork-in-the-knee trick. But wait, hear me out. Your sister is important to you, so you can do it more gently. You can give her a painkiller before pushing the ol' piece of silverware in her knee area, and then remove it rather quickly so she is more like alarmed than actually hurt.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

My sister is a big / huge meat eater, she even had a cow she named t bone and fed him up and put him in the freezer. Anyways, now she has really gotten into dog rescue and I think that is great, but how can she care so much about dogs and not give a thought to the other animals she is eating.

How can I discuss this with her nicely? We are not close geographically, so would have to be an online conversation.
What's the point?

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I'd say, "I'm really proud of the work you're doing with dog rescue right now. It's obvious that you care about the issue a lot. Have you ever thought about extending that compassion to other issues to do with animals? Like, do you think you could ever be vegetarian or vegan?"

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have always hated hypocrisy... i'm always saying what i think... you say she's acting like a hypocrite but, no offense ( lol ), i find it more hypocrite than diplomatic to do some sneaky strategies...

I would clearly say that it is strange to care so much about animals, but only about the cute ones, eating other animals. That for all the lives she saves, how much blood does she have on her hands from the animals staying in this stomach cemetary of her ? That if she loves animals, but devour their corpses, i would ask her to never tell me that she loves me, for i would then be afraid.

You are proud of her of course, and she's doing an amazing job, you're proud to have her for sister, but you just can't understand how she can both care about animals and be responsible of so much suffering in the same time. Children separated from their parents parents from children, brothers separated from brothers, sisters separated from sisters, to be killed, in blood, their neck being open,the animals being often hurt because they are not considered as living beings but as "things", living in horrible conditions ( describe them ), being killed in horrible ways ( describe them, including those which make the meat supposedly taste better ).

And you would just like her to explain to you how she does to manage to do this.

I find it straightforward enough not to be hypocrite yourself, honest, and to provoke reflexion.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I would ask her what the difference between cows and dogs is and why one deserves compassion if the other doesn't. Be honest and say it bothers you, that's as good a way to start a discussion as any. You can't change another persons mind but it might make her think at least.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post

Subscribing her to a veg magazine without her wanting it would be kind of unwelcome... and potentially offensive.

I would be pretty angry if someone signed me up for "meat daily" (made that up) without my consent, because they thought I should be an omnivore,
Really? Do you show the same amount of anger for all the other junk mail you get every single day?

I've signed up plenty of people for magazines and newsletters. Not one person has ever been angered or offended by my gifts, at least not the point that they've said anything to me about it. Most people aren't as mean-spirited as that. If they're my friend or family member then they expect a little animal advocacy every now and then. It's not a big deal. Give people more credit. They can handle a little bit of vegan literature without going crazy and hating me forever. Geez.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I think it's definitely important to reach out to her, but refrain from calling her a hypocrite.

Before I became vegetarian, I was really into meat. I also loved cats and dogs. If someone had told me I was a hypocrite, I may never have around to becoming a vegan. What clicked for me was seeing that poster of the cat and pig, with the caption "Why love one and eat the other?", as well as footage of factory farms. Don't be disappointed if she doesn't come around immediately, but once the seeds are planted, they're hard to ignore.

@JoshJames...your attitude toward this is terrible. Most of us were meat eaters at one point. And for all of us, it clicked. What's the point? Eliminating suffering.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts