VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm drskipper. I am moving out soon with my best friend who is a vegetarian. I decided to become a vegetarian when I move out as I don't think I'll be able to afford cooking steak, chicken, and fish every night like my parents, and I think that if I switch to vegetarianism my bff and I could share meals together and reduce our grocery budget.

My goal is to reduce my meat intake, not just quit cold turkey. There's no way I could stop eating meat entirely, but when it comes to eating at home, I want to avoid buying whole meat, chicken, and fish because that would be wasteful when there are better options.

What is the best way to slowly reduce my meat intake? I would like to incorporate fake meat (I forget what it's called) if it is cheaper than regular meat such as veggie patties, black bean burgers, etc. How do I get used to not eating meat? I am also looking for a wide variety of recipes other than pasta to spice things up.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
When posting here, yes, it does. It looks like from your thread title though that you want to make the switch fully eventually, which is great.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It matters to the animals you'd still be eating, too.

I hope you eventually make the full switch over. VB is a great place for info. Browse around, stay awhile.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Do you like meat substitutes? Quorn is fabulous (very meat like), as are Morningstar Farms Grillers Original. I weened off too, didn't go completely cold turkey. It helped me stay veg long term.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really like meat subsitute. Not nearly the same as real meat, but when making casseroles I can't notice a difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can say now, I thought I could never stop eating meat entirely. However, after weaning myself off, I don't miss a thing. I love making veggie burgers, you can make lasagna with quorn, stuff like that. Now I find myself not missing it, and it saves quite a lot of money. Meat substitutes can be expensive, but you can easily make homemade veggie burgers (which is fun, you get to smoosh them with your hands haha), and I grow my own tomatoes, peppers, ect when it's garden season. I think once you get a hang of making meals with no meat, and not ordering meat when you go out, it will become second nature to you. Especially living with a vegetarian, it will make the transition easier. That is how I changed my diet. My roomate was a vegetarian and I just followed along, and I find that I like it much better. I did tons of research and developed my own views on it, and that has helped a lot with me being a vegetarian.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe that meat is an addiction, I was addicted! When you eat it it triggers your dopamine & opiate receptors in your brain to fire and this is the equivalent of a reward, psychologically speaking, thus you crave more. <- This has been shown using the drug Naloxone

I stopped eating meat 8 weeks ago, after 3 weeks my tastes had completely changed! You begin to crave and love vegan food!

Try it for like 4 weeks and give it 100% and I'm sure you won't even mind not eating meat ever again!

Interesting video all about how meat and dairy etc is addictive here:

·
Registered
17 Posts
The first thing is to convince yourself that even a vegan diet, IF balanced, is perfectly healthy. Don't become a vegetarian to economize, rather than ensuring you get a fully nutritious and appetizing non-meat diet. Though you will probably save a bit on doctor's bills. After 50 odd years, I detest vegetable protein and mock turkey etc; like I would meat disguised as veggies. There was no revulsion to meat at first, but now -although I still remember tastes - I'd sooner eat crushed glass or cardboard. Personally, I did it in stages over a decade or so, starting with eliminating red meat, then white, then fish, later eggs, etc. Together with cigs and alcohol. BUT, with each stage, I did it fanatically. You have to, otherwise you revert. No gelatine (so goodbye most confectionery), no sherry in trifles, egg glaze, etc. One day, nearly 40 years ago, I ate eggs regularly - the next, never a taste since. That worked for me - I didn't want to think I was a hero, or have yearnings.
And back then, even Diet Associations were telling you stuff about the "dangers of crank (sic) diets". And there was usually severe parental opposition. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think that the cost of meat substitutes is about equal than meat.

Good old fashioned "beans and rice" type meals are generally filling and easy to fix. One concern might be actual vegetables. You need vegetables for micro nutrients (aka "vitamins"). Also if you just want to be vegetarian and not vegan, there are eggs. You can make omlettes fairly cheaply.

If you are planning to be really poor, remember that some cities have "food nets" and food handouts for the poor. I live in a town that has a surprising number of food give-outs. I tend not to buy a lot of food because I get really good handouts.

Hope you try this out and become a full time vegetarian!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think you could say you won't have meat in your house, keep a vegetarian kitchen. I think that would be considerate of your roommate and help with the transition.

As far as meat substitutes, I don't eat a ton of them, but the spicy black bean burgers and the fake breaded chicken are good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts