VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know quite a few people like soy milk as you buy it, from the carton, but I don't.
I never liked animal milk so don't miss that, but the thing is, I haven't found a vegan substitute I can stomach either.

I've tried soy milk, oat milk, hemp milk, and rice milk. Is there an easy way to make soy milk - it's most readily available here and is the most fortified - palatable enough so I can just drink it straight from the fridge?

I'd be ever so grateful! If this question has been asked many times before, apologies.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Have you tried almond milk? I never liked cows milk, but I love almond milk. The only brand of it I can drink straight, though, is the silk purealmond one. The vanilla one is great to drink straight, but my costco has the original pure almond 3 for $7, so I just make it vanilla myself by adding some fake (or real) vanilla extract to a glass. A small drop should do it, and I also like to add sugar, but I add sugar to everything anyways, and it makes a delicious drink. I drink it as a dessert because it has a very thick consistency. I'm sure adding some vanilla (and maybe sugar, if you like sweet things like I do) would be great for soy milk, too, it just won't have the same consistency or subtle almond taste as the almond milk. Also, if you prefer chocolate, some Bosco is great to add because it's very rich, richer than Hershey's syrup so it covers up any milk-y taste well. I've also used it with some chocolate milk powder, but too much doesn't dissolve well and powder on its own isn't a rich, chocolatey enough taste for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to give the almond milk a go - that's got to be the only one I haven't tried that I could reasonably get hold of. I found oat and hemp milks too watery, so if the almond kind is quite thick then I'm hopeful. Thank you!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered By Plants View Post

I'll have to give the almond milk a go - that's got to be the only one I haven't tried that I could reasonably get hold of. I found oat and hemp milks too watery, so if the almond kind is quite thick then I'm hopeful. Thank you!
If you mix Tesco's oat Milk with So Good soy milk, it's actually quite good!

In Holland And Barrett, there's a milk called Provamel that also does a single cream. Mix those two together for a "thicker" milk, too!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:

I know quite a few people like soy milk as you buy it, from the carton, but I don't.
I never liked animal milk so don't miss that, but the thing is, I haven't found a vegan substitute I can stomach either.

I've tried soy milk, oat milk, hemp milk, and rice milk. Is there an easy way to make soy milk - it's most readily available here and is the most fortified - palatable enough so I can just drink it straight from the fridge?

I'd be ever so grateful! If this question has been asked many times before, apologies.
Try different brands - they can differ and you might find one you like. (I like Tescos own brand, the sweetened one). Add flavouring (vanilla, banana, strawberry etc). Or you can buy ready flavoured - the vanilla one is lovely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mojo - I want a go-to savory drink since I'm not a big tea/coffee drinker, I can't drink alcohol, and I suspect all the fruit juice I consume will erode my teeth. So if I could find a "milk" I liked, it'd be good.

I'll try your recommendation, Grubnutter.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It's an acquired taste
I hated soy milk when I first tried it. Now I'll happily drink a glass of it. I started out with the flavored soy milks (usually vanilla), then weaned my way to plain.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:

Have you been getting these milks sweetened or unsweetened when you've been trying them? Sugar makes a big difference!

I really enjoy chocolate soy milk, or vanilla.

If you're trying almond milk I'd recommend getting the vanilla or chocolate Almond Breeze, it's my favourite

Also, I find soy is very much an acquired taste. I didn't like it when I was a kid but now I love the stuff and I love tofu. Go figure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts