VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
17 months ago i gave birth at home with midwives to my son, Aiden. Midwives tend to take the afterbirth and toss it in the tub to "rinse off" (i'm guessing), then they show it to you (inside and out) and THEN if it's the middle of winter (as my birth was) they place it in a grocery bag and toss it in the freezer to be thawed come spring and buried under a tree.

Well, several of my omni friends are aware that there is a hunk of flesh in my freeze still (i'm a HUGE procrastinator) and they refuse to come to my home for barbeques terrified that i'm going to cook it and feed it to them in protest of their evil
ways.

Yes, I am willing to loan out the placenta for a minimal service fee (that includes shipping).

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry I dunno what came over me.... I am the easiest person on the earth to gross out.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Ewwwwwwwwww! That's really gross, mushroom!

It's a good way to keep omnis away, I'll give you that. I'd honestly never heard of this custom until now and it sounds really bizarre.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Burying the placenta is like a "completing the circle" kind of custom. Giving back to the earth. It supposed to nourish the soil, hence burying it under a tree.

Actually, the idea of it is kind of keeping me away which is probably why it is still sitting in my freezer. But I can't bring myself to throw it out either!

A little side note: while it was soaking in my tub, I heard one of the midwives yelling at one of my many cats as it snuck up for a nibble.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
LOL You guys are so easily grossed out! It's just a bit of placenta! LOL Some women eat theirs... it's packed full of nutrients!

mushroom, did those people know what they were eating? Or not?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Raine,

That's awesome! Y'know, it doesn't strike me as all that different than breast milk. It's certainly less gross than cutting out animals' muscles and eating THAT.

·
Banned
559 Posts
i get queasy very easily. i overcame some of that after working at a vet though - i can handle surgeries and things now. ususally.

but the sight of human blood - MAKE IT GO AWAY!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I don't think this is gross at all. We (humans in general) strip the earth of so much, I love the idea of giving something back. Go Raine!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Raine

Well, several of my omni friends are aware that there is a hunk of flesh in my freeze still (i'm a HUGE procrastinator) and they refuse to come to my home for barbeques terrified that i'm going to cook it and feed it to them in protest of their evil
ways.

Yes, I am willing to loan out the placenta for a minimal service fee (that includes shipping).
I can't stop laughing!!!!!

(my cheeks hurt)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Yay Raine! Post pics, please! I gotta see this...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts