VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, fellow herbivores! I'm nineteen and a vegetarian of about four years. My father, an omnivore his whole life, has recently expressed interest to me about trying the vege lifestyle. He's had weight problems his whole life and until recently wasn't really thinking much about what he was putting into his body, but with the help of a weight loss program he's lost 20 pounds over the past few months and begun caring about how he fuels himself. He's noticed he feels better after eating meatless meals and wants to further his wellness.

I'm looking for some advice on how to help him switch over in a way that seems do-able rather than daunting. There are a few obstacles in his way... he's well over 50, and after so many years eating meat he can't really fathom what he'd do without it. He also works lots of late hours, so he ends up having to grab a lot of meals out or microwave something to go and not having a whole lot of control over his food. My mom was the cook of the family until she passed away a year ago, so he really doesn't know how to cook much and doesn't have the time to learn. I'm home from college for the summer so having me around means there's a lot more vegetarian food in the house, but I want to help set him up with a solid start so he feels he can continue it on his own when I leave.

Any tips, advice, or experiences would be appreciated! Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Get a hold of some of Virginia Messina's books, like

Convenient Vegetarian: Quick-And-Easy Meatless Cooking

http://www.amazon.com/Convenient-Veg.../dp/0028623347

and The Vegetarian Way.

Quote:
The Vegetarian Way: Total Nutrition For You and Your Family (Crown, 1996) by Virginia Messina and Mark Messina explains health benefits and offers a nine-step plan to leaving meat behind.
In general, it's pretty easy to make pasta dishes and substitute TVP "crumbles" or non-meat "meatballs" in the sauce.

See also the tips in this article:

http://www.becomingvegetarian.net/tr...hier-diet.html

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can get a lot of microwavable vegetarian meals like veggie burgers (the old one, but they're a lot healthier than meat burgers), sausages and lasagne which would be good for when he doesn't have time to cook. He can still eat all (or most) of the meals he'd eat with meat, but just replace them with a good Tofu. That said, a lot of people just see these as transition foods to make it easier for someone to cut meat out of their diet.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I used to take lots of fruit to work. Doesn't have to be refrigerated, it'll still be good if you don't eat it that day, cheap to buy(for the most part), and extremely healthy
Tofurky sausages are pretty good for a microwavable meal, and he could always stop at Subway which I think stays open until 11 or 12 most nights where you can get a footlong veggie sub for $5. There's also fake cold cuts you can buy, fake pepperoni for pizza, fake cheese
They've got everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts