VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was digging through my stuff and found a guitar that seems to be intact, and it made me think, is it possible to learn to play them without paying for lessons or anything? Like say I was just sitting in the house, is there some (free) method or informationy thing out there I could use to just practice whenever I'm bored?

I'm sure I can't be the only one to ever think of this and there's probably a zillion google results out there, but then I'd not know which ones are any good since... I have no idea how a guitar works...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm... hadn't thought of youtube, probably worth looking around in there. I'm not sure I'd be up to Stairway To Heaven immediately though

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Everyone I've known starts with Smoke On The Water.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Everyone I've known starts with Seven Nation Army
Very simple.
That song didn't exist when I was learning guitar.

Also, I taught myself by watching live performances coupled with guitar tabs. So, I'm not good. But people who don't play think I am.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
You certainly don't need to pay for lessons to learn to play. Personally, i would suggest you start learning some basic chords, chord books are cheap. I wouldn't try and play any songs until you've mastered some chords, otherwise, you may get frustrated very quickly and end up smashing your guitar to pieces, like Pete Townshend. Also, your fingers will hurt for a while, until they toughen up. Learning to play well can be a very disciplined routine if you are serious about it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Uh... that could be a coded message to a U-boat for all I can tell. Maybe there are some earlier steps to all this...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvington View Post

Uh... that could be a coded message to a U-boat for all I can tell. Maybe there are some earlier steps to all this...
Strumming major and minor chords is pretty basic.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I get the grids and spots, but what are the numbers and letters for?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Quote:

I think I get the grids and spots, but what are the numbers and letters for?
The numbers and letters identify the chord. The chords with just a letter are major chords. The chords accompanied by an 'm' are minor chords. The chords with a 7 are 7th chords.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I've no idea what major, minor and 7th chords are either. Is there some special language I'm supposed to know before trying this or something?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
First step: tune the guitar. If it isn't in tune, chords won't do you any good. Wait. Does your guitar have strings? If not, you'll want to get some.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Quote:

Yeah I've no idea what major, minor and 7th chords are either. Is there some special language I'm supposed to know before trying this or something?
I don't really know what all that means, either. I would strum the E chord until your fingers hurt. Take a break and then do it again. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, your fingertips will callous over and stop hurting. Then I would strum other chords, culminating in strumming several chords in succession, experimenting with what sounds good to you. The rhythm guitar in "Free Bird" uses most of the major chords (G, D, C, F) in that photo, plus an Em.

Code:

G D Em
If I leave here tomorrow,
F C D
Would you still remember me

[...]

F C D
And this bird you'll never chain

1 - 20 of 31 Posts