VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never enjoyed supplements because our body doesn't fully absorb them so I've switched from a B12 supplement to fresh frozen algae, which has completely transformed my life.

There are numerous other benefits in taking algae besides getting your full dose of all the B vitamins that vegans may be deficient in, but what I love most is that our body absorbs 97% of this superfood with all its goodness - including over 65 vitamins, minerals, amino acids and essential fatty acids. I call it "brain food" because my cognition has improved as well as my memory and focus.

I truly recommend incorporating this into your everyday routine to help with acne, energy, major detoxification and more. I won't go a day without it now

Check out 'My Love Affair with Algae" below for all of the information.

http://www.theglowingfridge.com/my-love-affair-with-algae/

·
Registered
373 Posts
Looks and sounds great, but the price! Woo! I'd have to skip paying rent for a month to buy a case of the 8oz bottles.
One day, though. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
727 Posts
That was an interesting article jaan.

And yeah mec, those are pretty expensive. I use a liquid one from NOW and I am just looking online now. It's six dollars for a 60ml bottle which would last me until it expires.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I just hope this is the real thing. Some microorganisms do produce vitamin B-12- that's where animals get it from ultimately- but B-12 content of foods has to be measured by a test which will detect only genuine B-12. Years ago, some sea vegetables were thought to have B-12, but this was shown to be a similar but unuseable substance only after some people had suffered irreversible injury from B-12 deficiency.

I just take a supplement.

Reactions: mecanna

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
As Tom said, we need to be extremely skeptical about these claims. Some supposed "natural" sources of B12, such as those from algae, actually contain B12 antagonists that register incorrectly as B12 by some testing methods. B12 antagonists oppose the action of B12 in your body and could actually make deficiency worse. Here is an article from the vegan registered dietitian Jack Norris on this topic: http://veganhealth.org/b12/plant

As for myself, I'd rather pay about $5 for 6 months worth of sublingual B12 supplement tabs that are known to be safe and effective. The B12 in supplements actually comes from micro-organisms too, albeit better characterized ones (without the B12 antagonists).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone here went without vitamin B12 supplements and animal food long-term (several years) without symptoms and still had normal blood vitamin B12 levels?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've never tried, but it should be possible to go for a few years without any intake assuming you have a good supply to start with.

Alternatively you could eat a small amount of your own or even animal poop for the B12 I believe.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I've never tried, but it should be possible to go for a few years without any intake assuming you have a good supply to start with.

Alternatively you could eat a small amount of your own or even animal poop for the B12 I believe.
This is why you should never trust strangers on the internet with your health. "Just eat your own poop! You'll be fine, I promise."

·
Vegan since 1991
3,667 Posts
Vitamin B12 supplements are incredibly cheap. I get mine at CVS Pharmacy - $7 for a 4 month supply.

All mainstream vegan organizations instruct vegans to either (1) take a B12 supplement or (2) consume B12-fortified foods / beverages. All mainstream vegan organizations caution people against trying to get B12 exclusively from algae or other unsupplemented plant sources.

Reactions: Tom

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The most likely explanation of a vegan with adequate B12 levels after years without supplementation would be either that the person is inadvertently eating some fortified foods (fortified plant milk, veggie meats, Clif bars) or sneaking meat, dairy or eggs, not that they have somehow figured out how to synthesize their own B12 or collect it from the environment.

So even if you find such a person, are you going to trust that they are being truthful? What good is that information when we know the dire consequences of not supplementing (permanent nerve damage) and supplementing is incredibly easy?

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Recycled food? Hmm. No. :p I recycle the food out if my own fridge. Yesterday's tomato soup turns into today's chili.. lol.
I've never had my B12 tested. I buy some foods that are fortified, but don't know if I'm getting enough.The kids are; their daily vitamins have 100% the recommendation of B12 for children. Maybe I should take one daily when they do.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Yeah, I'm not trying discourage anyone to take supplements. I was asking from vitamin B12 body stores perspective.
I'm not sure. I know our bodies do store B-12 for quite some time, but of course, how long it would take a deficiency to show up (before we had to supplement) would depend a lot on how much B-12 we had to begin with. I haven't had my B-12 levels checked specifically, but I told my doctor that I don't consume any animal foods to speak of and take an oral B-12 supplement for that reason. My annual checkup includes blood work and my doctor checks for signs of a B-12 shortage.

Oddly enough, my last exam showed I was low on vitamin D, not B-12. I had thought the time I spend outdoors during the warmer months had me covered... guess not...

Ew. Just... ew.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
Recycled food? Hmm. No. :p I recycle the food out if my own fridge. Yesterday's tomato soup turns into today's chili.. lol.
I've never had my B12 tested. I buy some foods that are fortified, but don't know if I'm getting enough.The kids are; their daily vitamins have 100% the recommendation of B12 for children. Maybe I should take one daily when they do.

Oh ok...It's just that your previous comment is identical to a line in the movie Judge Dredd...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah I don't recommend eating poop, I personally prefer taking a drop of liquid B12, but you know, it's an option.
Hmm. I had hoped you were joking. Let's be clear -- the outlandish claim that humans can somehow safely get adequate B12 from eating their own poop or other animals' has absolutely no basis in scientific fact.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
Hmm. I had hoped you were joking. Let's be clear -- the outlandish claim that humans can somehow safely get adequate B12 from eating their own poop or other animals' has absolutely no basis in scientific fact.
I hope no one argues with this hehe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts