VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently i get next to zero legumes in my diet. what are some easy ways to incoorporate legumes into a diet?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Buy them and eat them.

Seriously, though -

there are hummus and falafel (both made with garbanzo beans); you can cook pinto beans for burritos, use beans in soup, make pea soup, eat tofu and tempeh, stir-fry with snow peas, make white bean spread for sandwiches, bean salads....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Apart from the obvious peanuts
, how about red lentils? They can take as little as ten minutes to cook and don't need soaking, hence nowhere near as time consuming as many other legumes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Lentils and split green peas take 20 minutes depending on how much you cook. I make a big pot mixed with 4 cups lentils & 4 cups split green peas.

When I put them in a bowl to eat I put 1 tablespoon of olive oil over top. Try cooking l&sgp with olive oil and/or wet veggies, onions.

Hummus, there are a bazillion ways to make hummus not just with chick peas. I use soybeans with canola oil, cayanne pepper, lemonjuice, and curry powder.

Recipes/resources

http://www.vegweb.org/

http://www.vrg.org/

Simply Vegan & Vegan Handbook by Debra Wasserman. This woman should be giving me a percentage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can of pintos or black beans mixed + a can of tomatoes and green chilies or salsa, all over corn chips = meal.

Or add to above lettuce and 1000 Isle dressing = taco salad

Can of drained, rinsed garbanzos, marinate a few minutes with vinegar and olive oil, crushed garlic, on a salad.

Can of tomato soup + can of any beans + corn chips + salsa = tortilla soup.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
mash up a can of chickpeas, add a couple spoonfuls of mayonnaise, add a couple of diced pickles... great on crackers or as sandwich filling.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hummus

I usually put kidney beans or chick peas on my salads.

And I like to mix black beans (and salsa) in with my rice!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
- 4 bean salads

- bean soup

- rinse and drain a can of beans (i like white kidney) and add to marinara sauce for your pasta

- marinate red kidney beans with some olive oil, red wine vinegar (about 1-2 tablespoons each) and chopped onions and put on top of salad

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
The above ideas are great. It would help to know what your daily diet consists of, so we could offer ideas similar to what you're already eating.

I can't imagine a day without some form of legumes, that's what we live on around here, but everyone's preferences and habits are different.

Canned beans (though canned are not a favorite of mine) are practically "instant food" because they can be opened, heated and eaten - OR eaten cold on salads. Way easy...

·
Registered
898 Posts
I LOVE refried beans. Make your self some veggie burritoes or tacoes.

I often just heat 'em and mix in veggies and eat with blue corn chips!

·
Registered
251 Posts
i like to chuck red lentils into sauces and soups, or add them to rice while its cooking - they cook pretty quick so it doesnt add much to the cooking time

·
Registered
385 Posts
I eat lentil sandwiches! If you don't want to make a ton, just take 2 table spoons of green dried lentils. Sort and rinse them. Then put them in 4 and 1/2 table spoons of simmering water for 30 minutes or until tender. Then, I add ketchup and garlic and mash them up and spread it on a slice of bread with tomato and mustard. It's awesome!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I forgot to mention sprouts - I had lentil sprouts with a bit of garlic, ginger, sesame and walnut oil for dinner yesterday. Even I can manage to grow them without killing them, so the procedure must be pretty idiot proof and you get dirt cheap food that takes no time at all to stir-fry.

I don't tend to buy legumes in jars (cans are higher in heavy metals), since I'm only feeding one person one full meal a day, which makes getting through a jar without eating the same thing five times in a row a bit of a challenge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts