VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really trying to spread the vegan message in a positive, and non-pushy light. It can be hard though because some people won't look into why one would want to go vegan even if I ask them in a nice way. I tell them about all the wonderuful vegan foods and that they don't have to eat salads all day, but in the end I still get comments like "well, I just really like chicken, or this and that." I try to continue with "well, wouldn't you want to know where it comes from?" But they kind of switch the topic and I feel bad if I ask them again to please look into why one would want to go vegan. I don't want to turn them off even more.
Do any of you have any sure fire tips that would really hit the nail on the head for people that are just being a bit defensive in their ways?
if they don't work I'm not going to bother them with it anymore cuz some people will never be into it no matter what you say and I don't want to turn anyone off.
Thanks much

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Welcome! Great to have another vegan!
How long have you lived vegan? I ask because as time goes on the less I want to directly confront people, and the prouder I am to be an example. I haven't converted anyone completely, but I have been told I've been from many I know that I've caused them to have many more meatless meals. Even to try things without egg or dairy. Lots of people get emotional about documentaries and swear off meat, get fanatical, and then slip back into the comfort of a hamburger, slowly erasing the feelings.
What we eat is a hugely sensitive issue. I don't believe we'll ever win battles by exposing the horrors, I see the battleground in simply bringing vegan to the light of day- mainstreaming it in menus, product changes and t.v. shows. What if typical foods that had dairy ingrediants advertised changing the formula to be plant-based? Things like that create real interest. Knowing the health benefits create real concern.
Suffering may be the most important reason of all, but that's so sensitive an issue most people can't face that light.It bring guilt to someone most don't have tools to change. We have to give people tools in the form of changing what they see as food before they can face the idea that animals aren't theirs to eat. Right now the idea of dinner is centered around the meat. Vegan options need to be made normal before they'll be accepted, and that won't come from Earthlings, or Meet your meat.
When people eat with vegans and see their food as things they never thought to make, and are delious and easy, they'll want that recipe. If they're told meat is murder they'll tell you to shut up.

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha thanks for replying
I have been vegan almost 2 years now. I went vegan on Thanksgiving of 2009....no my parents weren't at all happy xD

Thank you so much for giving your insight! However, I think that we can still expose the horrors and get people to change. What you are saying is correct though...that for many it's too much to face and they don't know how to handle their guilt. But if we told them "It's GOOD that you feel guilty about it. It means you are a compassionate person, but how about taking that guilt and doing something about it! It's never too late to go veg or reduce your meat intake, this is coming from someone who used to be an omnivore just like you!" Do you think that may have a better impact on someone than just to leave them hanging after they see a factory farming video? I would think so...
that was mainly what I was getting at. Like, what could you say to better get people to come to terms with their ways?

Also, if people in society don't learn to come to terms with their own feelings, how will they ever down the line with other important social issues? That's why effective advocacy and tools are important...that's also why I want to be a motivational speaker cuz maybe, after showing people a problem with a video or presentation, I can wrap up what people can do about it in a nice but serious way so that everyone feels like they can make a difference.

Actually I look at Earthlings facebook and I read many comments from people that go vegan or veg after seeing it, so it's not like all people need something more than just a video. Some do though and that's where inspirational talk can come in :p

Ohhh no I have never and WILL NEVER tell anyone that meat is murder. :p That hurts our cause more than it helps us...it's like a slap in the face to most people and after you say that to them they will totally shun you off and never keep and open mind to what you have to say. In fact they would probably be proud of their meat eating, which is really detrimental to us. Even though I have never said that to anyone, I know that would be the case cuz I have watched and studied how people react to certain things people say and how they say it. That is definitely something to never say. It's way more efficient to engage people in an understanding way, let them know that you aren't trying to attack them and always be happy with your advocacy

Although yes, it would help too if vegan meals and options became more mainstream. We need vegan bakers as much as we need leafletters and other peeps that support our cause in their own unique way. :p

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
First, you need to accept that the majority of people will never go vegan or won't go vegan any time soon. It's just a simple fact that this is a major life change that involves some significant, albeit temporary, sacrifices that most people aren't willing to make. So don't judge yourself or your tactics based on that fact. It's a numbers game and the more people you reach out to try to help go vegan, the more chances you'll have a positive effect and will actually help encourage a few people to go vegan.

Here's what works for me:
I just don't really talk about my veganism at all to my casual friends, acquaintances, family, etc. Eventually it does come up in conversation here and there but it's usually when they ask me questions so I just answer and offer some suggestions. I save almost all of my actual vegan advocacy for strangers. I write a blog and I leaflet. That's where I learn the most about what what works and what doesn't because I can see it all from a distance and I'm not as personally invested/offended. I feel that leafleting is by far the most effective way I can spend my time and it appeals to me because I can do it my way on my time.

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input Elaine

I love leafletting.The more people I reach, the more people that might think of going vegan. We need all types of advocacy
. Thanks for all that you do with encouraging veganism

Although, you noted that veganism is a major life change, it IS but I love the many doors it has opened for me that I never saw before. I am more involved with social issues, I have gained a lot more confidence with advocating for change, and i feel so much more peaceful with all the living creatures around me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The trick is to get them to ask you about it, don't bring up the issue yourself. Nearly everyone, at least in my area, knows inherently at some level that eating meat is wrong. Usually I wait for a time for when it makes sense to mention that I'm vegan, like when food is being discussed. People will always follow that up w/ questions and then you can talk more openly about it. Just try not to put them on the defensive or they will shut down quickly.

I don't force it a whole lot though, I'm not good at it. I just try to show that it's not a big deal and I always have good food to eat so that it doesn't look like it is a restriction on me. Hopefully I leave a good impression on veganism and get people to think about it on their own or reduce their own intake of animal products.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Listen I am a vegan but to me its a personnel choice and I don't feel any less about someone who eats meat. People have been eating meat for better or worse for a long time. I think judging someone who eats meat is just as bad as someone judging people for being vegan.

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Yumy for your input.
@V.L.F
When was I judging anyone? I used to be an omnivore too! I have no room to judge. I'm just here to spread the vegan message.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Like many, I don't go the evangelical route, but I do answer questions when asked.
When I was vegetarian I often avoided even doing that because a) I was totaly bored going over the same thing again and again ; being veggie was second nature to me, having been one since 1986 and b) I think in retrospect that deep down part of me really felt bad that I wasn't vegan; I had contemplated it a lot over the years but just didn't feel I could do it, so answering questions posed by omnis only made me question myself more and feel uncomfortable as a result - which I suspect is how many omnis feel when being told about the evils of the meat industry..

Then, when I became vegan only this year, my friends and in particular work colleagues saw me make the transition. I agreed with them that I thought it would be very hard to do - and I was only aiming initially to do six weeks. Now they have seen that I am still doing fine after nearly five months and what's more I'm enjoying it- when I buy something new a colleague often tries it and takes an interest. That's pretty much as far as I want to take it to be honest . I don't think I have the right to try to persuade anyone to live differently. It's their call.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Take them to vegan restaurants with really excellent food or have people over for dinner. I find that seems to leave a good impression on the omni's in my life.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You should make them food but don't tell them it's vegan. I told my friends that the brownies I made were vegan before they ate them, and they told me they tasted like plastic!
My family loved them; and I know they weren't lying because 1) they're very open an honest about my cooking, and 2) they ate them all up really fast! So fast I didn't really get many >.> and when I made vegan chocolate chip cookies for class, no one knew they were vegan and they all loved them
They were gone in literally seconds.

Gary Yourofsky's video has converted many meat-eating omnivores to vegans just after watching his video. So I guess you could tell them, if they have any questions they should watch his speech.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts