VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to start a big fight in the household, but how do you deal with extended family members that live with you? My 11 yo son made a comment about KFC and his grandmother jumped down his throat and told him just because he didn't eat it, it didn't mean he had to comment on it. I am very proud of my son, he's only been veg*n since October last year, but really has a total mind change. I don't appreciate the comments from his gran, but I don't want to start an argument, because I will hear about it for weeks. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Well, I don't have extended family members living with me so my take on this may not be worth anything, but I my hubby is omni. For a while he was making negative comments/noises about the vegan food I was eating, (like yuck, or blegh) which I found really annoying. It's possible, that assuming grandmother actually eats KFC on occasion, that she would not want to hear comments made about her food. You should be very proud of your son. I think it's wonderful that he's taking on veganism at this age. And you should be proud of yourself because you are raising him! It's been my practice that I don't make comments/offer information unless someone asks for it. That helps to keep the arguments at bay. The sad thing is, even when someone does ask about the food industry and I tell them, they continue to eat meat anyway. I'm sure grandmother could have handled the situation better, either way and not jump down your son's throat.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Well, my opinion is that if we are living under the same roof, it really is paramount to respect/tolerate other ways of being. I think this is a mistake LOTS of people make...Christians (are famous for it), muslims....vegetarians...etc. We think our one way is the ONLY way of being. It isn't. There are LOTS of ways of being, and trying to force someone into one's way by pontification, self-righteousness...etc, isn't okay. I think we have to come to an acceptance of many different ways of being. Perhaps sitting down with your son and granny and talking about respecting each other's way of living is a good start. I know you are proud of your son, but if granny wants to eat kfc (even though we know it's bad for her health and not good for the planet), it isn't illegal and she does have the right. Take your son aside and talk to him about setting a good example with his life. Gandhi said to "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Dang it if he didn't have a good point.<br><br><br><br>
B

1 - 3 of 3 Posts