VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any ideas? i've been doing the cooking latly and have just been blowing her away w/ my veggie combos and pasta dishes. i think i'll wait another week or so and drop the line "you know you havn't had any meat in like a week right" and she'll laugh, then probably go out and order a steak; but thats the only way i can figure that is a fair way to try and get her to adapt better to my new lifestly. i won't deny her anything, but if i can show her that food still tastes good w/o any meat, maybe she will at least cut back on her carniviorus habits.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,247 Posts
A serious answer: You shouldn't try to convert her to vegetarianism unless she wants to and it's a decision she makes. However, being a shining example -- a quiet, happy one -- and cooking yummy food will probably at least result in somebody who is happy to eat vegetarian meals with you. It might result in someone who is genuinely interested in your point of view. Only time will tell.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
There are date-rape drugs available that might work.

Seriously though - show some respect for her ability to make choices for herself and you might get to influence her dietary habits and keep her as a girlfriend at the same time.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,059 Posts
I don't really get why someone would be veg*n unless they have some sensitivity to animals and their welfare (the health argument is somewhat weak to me, as is the environmental one, if it's about small amounts of flesh). I'd show her http://www.meetyourmeat.com , look at http://www.whyvegan.com etc. If she's someone who has any sensitivity towards others, she may decide to go veg*n on her own... It may be an awareness/knowledge issue at this point.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
my bf used to be the unhealthiest eater ever.. typical college guy living off fast food and beer, ew. Now though for the last few months at least, he's been almost healthier than I am! I took him out to my favorite vegetarian restaurant a while ago and had been cooking for him alot too and I guess he noticed the difference in the way he felt when he wasnt living off so much junk food.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,867 Posts
You might suggest a movie night and tell her about a great new adventure film called Peaceable Kingdom that's about some guy who is avenging his wife's murder and getting rid of the bad guys and thereby creating a more peaceful town.

... but then the movie comes on and, whoops, this isn't the film you were thinking of. But it looks good, let's keep watching.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,853 Posts
you can't convert you're GF without knowing, you can only be a good example and she'll cross over in her own time if she wants to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

The GHB/roofies are not being used for date rape. It's being used for vegetarian conversion. So it's not a date rape drug. It's an omnivore conversion drug.
the joke doesn't really work because it's based on the implication that you can make people do all sorts of things that they don't really want to do on GHB which is untrue - you can only have unconsential (sp?)sex with them if they are unconscious or near that stage and unable to think clearly.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

the joke doesn't really work because it's based on the implication that you can make people do all sorts of things that they don't really want to do on GHB which is untrue - you can only have unconsential (sp?)sex with them if they are unconscious or near that stage and unable to think clearly.
Don't overanalyze my attempt at supporting another poster's corrected joke. Dammit.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
25,863 Posts
Some posters may be overreacting to the original post. Trying to slightly influence a SO into a more veg*n direction without explicitly asking that of him/her is something a lot of veg*ns probably do: cooking veg*n meals, bringing up some animal issues etc.. The problem seems to be more in the OP's wording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

You might suggest a movie night and tell her about a great new adventure film called Peaceable Kingdom that's about some guy who is avenging his wife's murder and getting rid of the bad guys and thereby creating a more peaceful town.

... but then the movie comes on and, whoops, this isn't the film you were thinking of. But it looks good, let's keep watching.
Sneaky, very sneaky!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
42,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I don't really get why someone would be veg*n unless they have some sensitivity to animals and their welfare (the health argument is somewhat weak to me, as is the environmental one, if it's about small amounts of flesh).
It doesn't have to make sense to you if she chooses to embrace whatever reason makes sense to her to go veg*n. From an AR perspective, does it really matter how many veg*ns feel sensitivity for animals so long as they're not eating/using them?

Telling someone their reason for being veg*n "isn't good enough" is a good way to help them along the road to being ex-veg*ns.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

It doesn't have to make sense to you if she chooses to embrace whatever reason makes sense to her to go veg*n.
Of course it doesn't have to make sense to me. I just give my own perspective on it.

Regardless, I think she should probably have a "reason" of some kind, because without one, I don't know why she would maintain it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
231,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcreedsucks View Post

any ideas? i've been doing the cooking latly and have just been blowing her away w/ my veggie combos and pasta dishes. i think i'll wait another week or so and drop the line "you know you havn't had any meat in like a week right" and she'll laugh, then probably go out and order a steak; but thats the only way i can figure that is a fair way to try and get her to adapt better to my new lifestly. i won't deny her anything, but if i can show her that food still tastes good w/o any meat, maybe she will at least cut back on her carniviorus habits.
I think a lot of people are taking your words out of context. If you're just cooking lots of veg meals, and approaching her about the idea of converting in a casual, non-hurtful way, then I don't see a problem with it. If you're not pressuring her, then go for it. Just be casual.

Like others said, you won't be able to trick her into making the switch without her being aware of it, but maybe you'll be able to give her a gentle push in the right direction by showing her how easy and possible it is to be veg*n!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top