VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have 3 cats (indoor pals) with no a/c.. I belong to a cat forum message board, and I thought it would be helpful to those here who are concerned with these freaked out 95+ temperatures that are hardhitting North America (and beyond), to keep our indoor friends cool! Here is what I found helpful today for my 3 kittehs (which they LOVED), and it would apply to any dogs too who have no a/c in their home (link below provided for so many more cooling tips for indoor animal friends:

It hit almost 100 degrees here in Lakewood, Ohio today, and is still around that even now.. I don't have a/c in my home!! Poor David had to go in to the vet for an evacuation of his bowels today, and when I brought him back home he was PANTING (it scared me so much, I'm sure the stress level he endured at the vets mixed with the heat really took a toll on him). What I did (and still will be doing for a while till it cools down a few degrees), was take a medium sized kitchen dish towel, wet it (not sopping wet, just wet), stuck in freezer for 5-10 minutes, took it out (it was relatively stiff), scrunched up in hand to get most of stiffness out, then DRAPED him with it, from his neck to his tail..HE LOVES IT, walks around with it, lays down to nap with it on him...(it looks like a cape, like he is my super-hero cat!)

Of course, this is only a temporary short term cooling off, after about 10 minutes it is no longer cold, so I take it off of him (and stick in freezer again!, repeat as needed), but it is a temporary relief from the extreme heat, and to cool down his overheated (panting, ugh..) body temp

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233451

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Have you thought about getting a small window airconditioner? You could keep the cats in a bedroom with it during the hot weather. It would probably run a couple of hundred dollars plus someone to install it.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Basements are also nice for pets or humans looking to cool off without using AC, although I know that's not an option for everyone.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I have a chinchilla and they overheat very easily so I got him some marble tile, it seems to work great: http://www.lovingyourpet.co.uk/chinc...-tile-slab.php

For a kitty you'd just need a bigger piece, which you could get from any hardware store I think. It stays cool to the touch all the time, so it would be awesome for an overheated cat to nap on.

Edit: And it's mentioned in the forum too! I see I'm not the only one who had that idea

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Wetting the fur a little bit really helps, as evaporation is a cooling process. That's why swamp coolers work in non-humid environments. I've found that "petting" your pet with an ice cube is a good way to do this.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
My cats won't stay in the one a/c'd room. They just lay around. The basement is fairly cool and they can hang there if they like. Monchichi was yesterday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts