VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started off being lacto ovo (6 months ago), now i'm lacto veg. But if there's traces of eggs in food i eat, i don't mind. I'm also very careful of rennet/gelatin. But today I was kinda craving pizza and didn't ask the lady if her cheese contained rennet. I kinda tend to relax a bit when I eat out, but if I know for a fact that an item of food contains gelatin/rennet I'll get something else.

Is anyone else like this or do you ask what's in the cheese at every place you go out to eat?

I feel really guilty that's why I'm asking. Be nice please, I already feel bad.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I dont like to eat rennet, because the idea of what it is is really horrible when you think about it.

I never eat cheese out because most cheese around here comes with rennet. Also ordering eggs is iffy too as they are likely not free range even... i wish there were more vegan options available.

I also have the situation of fish sauce and oyster sauce, especially in asian restaurants, i dont really know whether they put it in or not... it says "vegetarian menu" but the omni idea of "vegetarian" can be quite different than ours...

there is also the issue of chicken stock in some sauces.

I have not found eating out as a vegetarian easy at all. Sometimes I am lucky, but I have found myself with not very good options on a number of occasions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't feel guilty it sounds like you are doing a great job and I think everyone is different...

I am a fairly strict vegetarian. It is hard as I was a Vegan for around 10 years. I don't eat a lot of take away food for the reasons above. I make my own pizzas and use either soy cheese or cheese with no rennet. I dont drink milk, only eat eggs from a farm that I have been to and seen how the chickens are looked after (easy when you live in the bush harder if you are in the city). I will only order or get a restuarant to make me vegan meals if I do have to go out. I will normally look at the menu before we even go or call in advance.

·
Banned
437 Posts
I'm lacto-ovo. Milk grosses me out, though, and I don't buy eggs or dairy cheese for myself (though I'll eat them as a guest in someone's home. It's very hard for people to feed me because of my soy allergy so I'm trying to stay at least a little flexible for now). I don't eat gelatin, but I don't really ask a host about rennet.

I guess that's the equivalent of checking in restaurants for me - I hardly ever eat out because restaurants have messed up my allergy needs too many times.

Do what you can for now and don't beat yourself up. You're doing a great thing by not creating a demand for meat. If enough people became vegetarians, the supply of animal rennet would naturally diminish due to a drop in the quantity of slaughter byproducts. (Yum...)

I love giraffes too, by the way

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have an oven so I can't make my own pizza.. I'd love to though! I also avoid Thai, Sri Lankan, Malay, Chinese food when eating out. Thai (fish sauce), Malay (shrimp paste- also known as belacan), Sri Lankan (Maldive fish - dried processed tuna that looks like woodchips that are used in a variety of dishes in tiny amounts) and Chinese (oyster sauce). I use vegetarian oyster sauce made with mushrooms when I cook chinese food

Yes milk is gross. I never drank it while growing up. My grandma used to force me to drink powdered formula milk and I would take so long to drink it that by the time I got to the bottom of the cup, all the powder would have settled to the bottom in a sticky gooey mess. YUCK. I drink soy milk now but I still cook with milk byproducts. I plan on becoming a vegan someday but I've found it to be so much harder than giving up meat!! Going vegetarian was easy..going vegan really takes a lot of determination I think. I have so much respect for vegans who can just give up dairy cold turkey.

Thanks for answering, ya'll. I guess I'm not the only one who tends to take it easy when eating out.

p.s yellowrose-- giraffes are great! They have such pretty eyelashes, are herbivores, tall and very strong...everything I've ever wanted!

*I shd add that all the Sri LAnkans I've known tend to refer to pescatarians as vegetarains... so if you have Sri Lankan food... ask if it contains Maldive fish. Chances are, it probably does.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Well, I never eat any meat at all so I guess that's a strict vegetarian? Of course, I never eat milk, eggs or honey products either. But you didn't ask about those.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
If I accidentally eat something with rennet or gelatin, I don't freak out. I read labels when I buy food for my house and I do my best when eating out. Gelatin has been super easy to avoid, but I admit to not checking for rennet when eating out because most companies don't have the ability to find out these things when I'm at the location. Stupid "enzymes" labeling is a joke. I don't buy anything labeled rennet at the store. Eating strict vegetarian at home is super easy compared to eating out. I work at a restaurant, a lot of our cheeses don't specify where the enzymes come from. Our Fontina does, which is why I stopped eating it once I found out. When I find out the truth, I don't order it again.

I'm lacto-ovo, but will rarely eat eggs. If it's baked into something, I often don't buy it, but if it's served to me, I won't pass it up (like a cake).

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm not sure about the use of 'strict'--for me, that conjures up repression, rigidity, and even phobia. I'd rather say 'scrupulous' or even 'faithful'.

That said...if there's something (like honey) in the available food and there's nothing else, I might eat it. That would depend on how long it's been since I last ate and how long it likely would be until the next meal. Sometimes I'll go hungry if I know it won't hurt me and it won't be an inordinate amount of time until more appropriate food is available. Given the choice, I will always choose vegan...and if I buy something by accident that has a non-vegan ingredient, I either give it away or discard it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I guess I am "semi-strict." I cook vegan the majority of the time, avoid dairy, but when eating out, both of those things get quite a bit harder. Why it is so difficult to get a vegetarian sandwich without half a pound of cheese, I have no idea. We were at a cafe earlier for lunch and the sandwich I ordered, as listed on the menu board, had hummus, veggies, cheddar cheese *and* cream cheese, and spicy mustard. Why the two cheeses? Wouldn't one be enough? And why was it so weird that I asked for "just hummus and veggies"? (I'm not a fan of spicy mustard anyhow.) Not to mention most vegetarian entrees at restaurants are cheesy pasta entrees. I don't ask about the cheese content. I have faith that if they labeled the soup as vegetarian, they were smart enough not to use chicken broth -- otherwise, I doubt the employee at the counter knows anyhow. Same for the cheese.

I use local, raw honey as a natural preventive for my severe seasonal allergies (and it does stem them down quite a bit), so I would never label myself as vegan as a result of that. But I do feel better when I don't eat dairy.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It would be pretty pointless to ask about rennet in the US as most cheeses aren't labeled clearly anyway. When I was lacto-ovo vegetarian, I found a brand of cheese that didn't contain rennet that I always bought at the grocery store, but at restaurants I wouldn't sweat it. You just have to decide what works for you -- there's really no use in feeling guilty.

It's always an option to order pizza without the cheese (which is quite delicious and much healthier, I might add). Rennet is a direct byproduct of the dairy industry anyway (from the stomach of young calves), but that's another issue. I don't eat dairy or eggs anymore, so rennet is thankfully not an issue for me.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
just in case no one has seen this before, it's a list of cheese companies/products and what kind of rennet is used....http://cheese.joyousliving.com/CheeseListBrand.aspx

kari- there are two kind of cheeses put on sandwiches, because that's how sick and addicted the US is...more is always better, right? According to the SAD.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's comforting to learn that others are "guilty" of ignoring some things sometimes. I guess that's what keeps some of us from being vegan. Sadly. I still think those of us who attempt to do what's right will perhaps lead us to go forth if we chose to. Are we lazy? or just not totally committed? Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegluv View Post

I guess that's what keeps some of us from being vegan.
I think it would be the cheese more so than the rennet that keeps people from being vegan. Not everyone is striving to be vegan, and that's ok.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would label myself a "doing the most I can" veg
Obviously no meat ever. At home I eat rather vegan-ly, basically only a few things have eggs/dairy/honey as ingredients. A few things I have decided to give myself a pass on: creamer with <2% dairy (tried the soy and coconut milk varieties, just couldn't get into them), once a year-ish getting nutella or honey peanut butter, once in a while getting non-vegan meat substitutes, etc.

Eating out is a vastly different story, though. I have to preface this with the fact that I eat out maybe once a month. When I'm eating out I am just a vegetarian, although I avoid high milk content since I'm lactose intolerant. I will also eat something with gelatin or rennet in it if someone cooks it specifically for me and is excited that they made me a "vegetarian dish," just because I can't bear raining on their parade

With non-food items, I try to buy non-animal products whenever possible. I never wear fur, etc. and never buy leather for fashion/normal wear. I do buy leather horse-back riding equipment, though, because there are a lot of items that are not available or just not as good in synthetic.

So, as I said, I do as much as I can/want to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm ovo lacto. I would like to say vegan, but i can't, not for now. but after to leave home and be independent, i will become vegan or ovo, i'm sure! For now i try to not drink milk , and avoid yogurts. Eggs are from countryside hens and ecological, whenever I can. I think the hardest thing will be leaving the cheese...I love it

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was vegetarian straight for about 10 years (not including the off/on for the 8 years before that) and vegan for the last two of those ten when I met my boyfriend, and I totally went off the wagon for about 6 months. So, since July, I have eaten no meat. I feel normal since then, being veg. I spend a lot of time eating meals with my boyfriend's family, and they are very supportive of me going back to my veggie diet. My bf eats veggie with me at home, so it has been an easy transition just cutting out meat. When it comes to family meals, his mom always kindly makes me a separate veggie dish with cheese or dairy of some kind, and I feel uncomfortable making the change to vegan in that environment as of yet. So when I am at home or going out, I strive for vegan. When at birthday meal's or holiday occasions, I go with the flow and eat the dish's that are just vegetarian.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I'll be honest. I don't really pay attention to whether the cheese I'm eating has rennet in it. If I do happen to be at a grocery store like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods that labels things well, I pay attention because it's easy. However, most of the time, I just don't. And I love cheese; I eat too much of it, probably.

I do avoid gelatin however. That's a pretty easy task.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Vegan. So, pretty strict.

But as a veg, I got more and more strict. All actual meat plus gelatin first. Then fats and stocks. Then things like E120 and rennet, isinglas came later. Basically, the more I found out about, the more I cut out, until I reached a point where I kinda had to be vegan.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm a quasi lacto veg. I don't buy cheese but, if it comes with the food at the restaurant hell, I eat it. I was an ovo and haven't had an egg in months. I'm not smart enough and far to lazy to have a complicated plan. I keep it simple. Nothing intentional from a slaughter house, period. If some restaurant slips in something I'm unaware of I wont spend endless nights tossing and turning over it. But, if I know, or suspect, I avoid it altogether. I think I do pretty good.

If someone feels the need to guilt me because I don't beat myself up enough they can kiss my hairy a$$. Take it easy on yourself. Sounds like your heart's in the right place.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Vegan. So, pretty strict.

But as a veg, I got more and more strict. All actual meat plus gelatin first. Then fats and stocks. Then things like E120 and rennet, isinglas came later. Basically, the more I found out about, the more I cut out, until I reached a point where I kinda had to be vegan.
This was pretty much how my transition into veganism went down. Went from not eating meat to not eating anything from a dead animal, though it took me a while to cut out cheese with rennet. Like AeryFairy, though, I eventually realized that I had to be a vegan in order to really live what I believe.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts