VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
3 times a week, 1.5 to 2 miles per walk, my lightest exercise days.
I'd take him running if he didnt have a habit of abruptly stopping to mark things or to simply start licking someones lawn
I guess sniffing just isnt enough for some dogs.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I take my dog on three small, slow walks a day. Probably about a tenth of a mile per walk. Mainly for her to do her business.

She's a small dog with a heart condition. No hard exercise for her.

It depends on the breed and condition of the dog.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
I walk her to the dog park about 6 times a day and let her run around for about 10 minutes.
I wish I could taker her out even longer, but it's freezing. None the less I'm pretty content with it.
Oh and my friend and her boyfriend bring their staffordshire to the dog park once a week for about a hour for pumpkin to play with him :]

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I haven't got a dog at the moment but I thought you should take a dog for a walk everyday,
unless I suppose you have a big garden and the dog can run around out there.
I have a huge fenced yard my dog can run around in in addition to his walks. He loves it.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
I take my little dachshund, pepper, for 3 walks a day. She is old but thin and energetic, but she decides when the walk is over and just lies down somewhere comfy. I carry her home, to the delight of my neighbors.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I take my little dachshund, pepper, for 3 walks a day. She is old but thin and energetic, but she decides when the walk is over and just lies down somewhere comfy. I carry her home, to the delight of my neighbors.

I used to have a dachshund (appropriately named Hotdog) that would do that. We calculated the distance she would walk before lounging through trial-and-error. Dogs are funny.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

I walk her to the dog park about 6 times a day and let her run around for about 10 minutes.
I wish I could taker her out even longer, but it's freezing. None the less I'm pretty content with it.
Oh and my friend and her boyfriend bring their staffordshire to the dog park once a week for about a hour for pumpkin to play with him :]
Just be careful with other dogs. There are a lot of people who bring dogs to the dog park that shouldn't be there. Or do stupid things like bring food to the dog park which can cause even the most docile dogs to fight. Your friend's staffie may not start a fight but there's a good chance he will win a fight if it does start, and he will get the blame because he's a staffie. Certain breeds, and not just bully breeds, require an owner to have complete control in a dog park. An owner should have control of any dog but with certain breeds it's even more important.

Not trying to be bossy or anything, just telling you what I see in dog parks around here. I have several dogs and not all of them are dog park material. Of course I tend to collect the misfits.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I walk my three about a mile everyday that it isn't pouring or below freezing. We also have a large, fenced-in back yard, so they get to spend a lot of time barking at the neighbors - I mean exercising.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.