VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just my cats that are overly energetic and seem to always end up with battle wounds or is this common? I'm a first time pet owner and although I have friends with cats, these friends aren't the type to run to the vet in every situation, and asking them about this is futile. So I turn to the VB pros. I, on the other hand am the vets bff. I'd just rather be safe than sorry. Long story short, between the 2 cats, I find myself at the vet every 3-4 months for something or other. It's been almost 6 months since my last visit and that's been the longest stretch so far. On my way there today, because my runt Bruiser did something (poked, scratched, debris, who the heck knows) to his eye. It's red and watery and he can't open it fully. He'll be fine, but I'm going broke!
How often do you find yourselves at the vet's office?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Never for my cat, we have to go to the vet for my dog just because he's been itchy lately.

Other than that, we only go for shots.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
My dogs have an annual check-up with vaccinations, and we had them both sterilized. In addition, Cowboy has had a growth removed from his foot and his teeth cleaned. We also go in once every six weeks or so for anal glad expression and toe-nail trims.
I know I could be trained to do those, but no thanks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
When I had multiple cats, they didn't always get along. My oldest had part of her ear torn off by her own baby. We didn't take her to the vet for that. She healed just fine and is very happy and healthy living with my parents.

I only go for vaccinations/check up or if there is a problem that I cannot treat on my own. Minor cuts and scratches, I treat with antibiotic at home. I would only take my pup to the vet for cuts and scrapes if she developed an infection.

If she was having an eye problem I would definitely take her in to the vet. You definitely don't want permanent damage to your babies eyes.

If you find yourself in the vet's office quite a bit, take a look at how they are treating those "common" battle wounds. If they are just putting antibiotic ointment on the wounds or are constantly giving you antibiotic pills and sending you home, ask for a prescription that will last you through a few war break outs. All they can say is no. Of course, only you are there to judge the severity of you kitties' wounds. If you have any doubts about their health (and you can afford to do so), take them to the vet.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
once a year per cat although i combine trips so 3 times per year is a given. last year though, i went 20+ times. most of those were related to my cat being hit by a car and were just rechecks and similar things. and i had new kittens that needed little fixes (uri, worms, shots, neutering etc.). it did wear me down though and i was having a very hard time keeping all the appointments straight. i was at the vet's at least once a week for all of january and february

i have to say, i have a very good vet who is very fair with prices. i once brought in a cat when i noticed cloudiness on her eye. he diagnosed it as sunspots but since he only took a look he charged nothing. same with the time i brought in a cat when i noticed a kink in his tail. a quick look to confirm it didn't need treatment and no charge. i call them with questions as well rather than bring in a cat. i drive 15 minutes to my vet even though there are 3 vets within 5 minutes of me because i feel like he's not trying to suck the money out of me.
you get better at home treatment of basic things after a while and like rockette79 said, learn from your vet how to deal with the little things. they should be willing to teach you basic stuff so you can avoid more trips to the vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts