VeggieBoards banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
99% Vegan
162 Posts
The other thing is that I would have my own food in my cooler and not touch the vegan dish. Sorry! I forgot that part. I have food allergies, so I have to do this anyway, thus its routine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eyes on the prize

Be self assured about your own reasons why you went vegan.

My own story - I have health issues which can be corrected with a vegan diet. I've known this for years but one day I woke up and decided that I hated living with headaches, joint pain, chest pain and liver and kidney issues so I quit eating meat. Four days later *ALL* of my medical conditions were reduced dramatically.
No one can tell me that I *need* to go back to eating meat.

That's my story.
You have your own story and your convictions need to drive your decision and your tenacity to shut the world out.
They'll find out as they need to know. And when you tell them, it'll be because you are stating a fact and not because you are caring about their opinion.

I hope this helps you.

:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So here's an update on Thanksgiving:

I went to see my more supportive friends, who responded to my warning about veganism by cooking everything vegan except their turkey and gravy. I brought lots of vegan goodies, though, because I didn't really know what to expect--roasted acorn squash with an apple-cranberry bread stuffing, a pecan pie, coconut whip for the pie, some imported chocolates filled with different liqueurs (which turned out to be really strong and I couldn't eat them, because I don't drink, but oh, well), and sparkling fruit juices. I would have had a nice meal even if they hadn't prepared lots of vegan food.

The problem was really my host's parents, who were clearly very confused about why anyone would be vegan and got irritated when I wanted the coconut whip instead of whipped cream on the pie I'd brought.

An aside: the pie was the very best pecan pie I have ever baked! I always make pecan pie on Thanksgiving, but usually something goes awry, and I burn the crust or it spills over or something. This one was perfect, and everyone loved it. Despite their skepticism, they also loved the coconut whip, and my friend even ate a big scoop of it straight, like ice cream.

Thanksgiving was a win! And I got some people to think and broaden their horizons.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just got back from a very mixed experience ................ I think that my reference to the possible positives of eating dirt shut him up because really what do you say to someone who wants to eat dirt? (Not that I do or was aiming to suggest I did, but it was frustrating.)

I don't want to spend Thanksgiving there. I usually do, but I really don't want to spend another meal with that kind of berating. At no point did I say why I didn't want turkey or cheese or anything, just turned it down. But apparently turning it down was enough to get this weirdly aggressive response.

I can identify with so much of what you're talking about Avril, as most here probably can. I have to admit that your reference to 'eating dirt' made me laugh out loud! What do you say to that person? Anyway, sorry that you're having a tough time with this and I wish I could say that it gets better........but until we have a change in the hearts of man (for whatever reason, be it a spiritual avalanche of new-found compassion by all mankind or that they finally realize and admit that the meat/dairy thing is killing the planet super fast) I think it will be like this for a long time.

That's why forums like this and the vegans you do meet along the way and the growing number of vegan restaurants and 'new' foods will have to stand in for some of those relationships that 'they' allowed to sour because you decided to live according to your loving heart. And don't they lose so much by not being open to the wonderfulness of you?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts